Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
May 15 thru the end of Sept.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
I just measured the amperage going into the compressor and I'm only getting 5.8A to 6.16A so I'm guessing I definitely lost my refrigerant? Everything looks pretty new and clean otherwise, the copper lines look in tact without any obvious compressor oil indications of leakage.

I did this test with the AC set to 55 while it was about 70 outside. I also switched to heat pump but got similar readings with the tstat set to 85.

The only other thing I've noticed is the ducts in the front of my trailer have very little air coming out, the 4 ducts in the bedroom area have significantly more air flow and feels to be about what I expect. I doubt there's multiple issues going on but has anyone noticed similar air flow? I don't know for sure if anything changes with the amount of air coming out of the vents as I probably just tested near my thermostat in the bedroom.

Here's a pic of the reading I get with my clamp on ammeter:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1454721260.566340.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	256880
deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I just had a Dometic refrigerator recall done. The guy came to the trailer, and said it was all paid for by Dometic. I don't know if the same would apply to a regular service call.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Good to know, Tn Traveler. I suspect I can get a Dometic warranty service guy out here, there's plenty of mobile RV repair places around here. My first thought was to get it done through Airstream but it's been a headache to speak with someone at the dealer so I'm thinking going the same roure as you. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlock View Post
Good to know, Tn Traveler. I suspect I can get a Dometic warranty service guy out here, there's plenty of mobile RV repair places around here. My first thought was to get it done through Airstream but it's been a headache to speak with someone at the dealer so I'm thinking going the same roure as you. Thanks!
Check the Dometic website for authorized service techs in your area.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlock View Post
I just measured the amperage going into the compressor and I'm only getting 5.8A to 6.16A so I'm guessing I definitely lost my refrigerant? Everything looks pretty new and clean otherwise, the copper lines look in tact without any obvious compressor oil indications of leakage.

I did this test with the AC set to 55 while it was about 70 outside. I also switched to heat pump but got similar readings with the tstat set to 85.

The only other thing I've noticed is the ducts in the front of my trailer have very little air coming out, the 4 ducts in the bedroom area have significantly more air flow and feels to be about what I expect. I doubt there's multiple issues going on but has anyone noticed similar air flow? I don't know for sure if anything changes with the amount of air coming out of the vents as I probably just tested near my thermostat in the bedroom.

Here's a pic of the reading I get with my clamp on ammeter:
Attachment 256880
Good Job!

Your system is empty with an amp draw reading that low…... and you need a new roof unit! If you are still under Dometic's 2 year warranty, then they should pay for the parts and labor, but unless your rig in immobilized, they usually don't pay mobile service calls. Recalls are a completely different matter.

The only problem with using a mobile tech is their unfamiliarity with the idiosyncrasies of an Airstream. That includes where to walk on the roof, how to replace the drain kit and how to re-secure the A/C unit to your roof.

Unless you can find a tech that has direct experience with Airstreams, I would wait for the dealer (yes, I actually just said that!). At least you have a better chance of them not denting your roof or not connecting the internal drain hose, or other worse situations. I've seen them all!!!

Be careful out there!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Yep, I'm still under warranty. Good to know about non-Airstream techs, I just requested an appointment at the AS dealer, hopefully they can get it done quickly.
Thanks for the help. I'll shoot out an update after its repaired.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Quick update: after getting blown off by Airstream of LA ~5 times I reached out to the customer liaison rep (Gretchen Behrs) at Airstream who made no sincere attempt to help aside from pointing me to the Dometic site and saying it was probably just a breaker. I've been asking for a contact at AS to discuss my concerns and problems but she stopped responding, complete fail.
Finally I reached out to a authorized Dometic mobile RV guy who seemed to know his stuff, he came out when he said he would and confirmed my diagnosis that I had a refrigerant leak. Replacement unit should've arrived today and I'm waiting to sync up w him to get it installed. As far as I'm concerned, the AS factory warranty is not worth a cent, perhaps that opinion will change but it seems like they(Airstream) provide the bare minimum warranty to justify the exorbitant cost of their trailers. Yeah I'm salty right now but rightfully so.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad you got this sorted out, but sorry about Airstream's lack of action.

--->
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Just heard back from my tech saying Dometic has these units back ordered so instead of shipping it 10 days ago, it's now scheduled to ship 03/04, so ridiculous. I should've bought a used airstream and upgraded everything the right way, not the cheapest.