Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Heat pump

I have a 34' AS with two ACs with the heat pumps. The fans will run but the heat pumps will not cut on. Any suggestions on what to check or how to fix without taking to AS dealer? I like to run the heat pumps on freezings nights and would like to get fixed as soon as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

glenbrowning@hotmail.com
glenbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Heat pumps not working

I know just enough about HVAC to be really dangerous. On a TT with 2 units such as yours, does each have its own controls on the unit as in a unit with one AC? Does the compressor come on if the AC is turned on? The fact that neither heat pump comes on is really puzzling if each is controlled on its own, as I suspect it is. The fan coming on would seem to indicate the breaker is not tripped. How warm was it in the trailer when they would not come on or has this happened more than once? Just some things to think about. Sorry I can't be the guru on this.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What is the outside temperature when you have tried the heat pumps? RV heat pumps lose their efficiency in lower temps and most are designed to switch to an alternate heat source somewhere in the 30s. Unfortunately, this means they will do you no good in freezing temps.

The alternate heat source varies with the heat pump model and type of control. My Carrier does not have the on-the-wall type of thermostat system, just the knob on the lower unit. The lower unit also has a heat strip. When the outside temperature drops into the low 30s, my Carrier switches from heat pump mode to the heat strip. The heat strip doesn't put out as much heat, but it does put out some. The Carrier was not original equipment, but a replacement unit.

It is my understanding that the models that have integrated on-the-wall control centers are setup to switch to the built-in furnace when the temperature reaches the set point. Your trailer being newer than mine may be setup that way.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but I hope a little clarification helps.

On edit: When mine switches to the heat strip, the only sound you can hear is the fan. There is no noise like when the compressor is running.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
It was around 50 when I cut them on, yes the furnance will cut on when it gets 30 or below. I have the one control on the wall tht will work both units with the mode button to operate one or both. Just don't know why the fans work and the heat pumps will not work. Thanks for the input,
Glen
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Glen,

I was afraid that it was going to be something more than you simply tried to turn them on when it was 25° outside. I hope someone with experience with the more sophisticated systems can help you.

That's a great looking trailer, by the way. I'm jealous of the two ACs.

When you get over your problems, how about some more photos? I'm sure others would be interested in info about your shelter, too. I know I would be.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, do you need 50 amp service for two heat pumps? I would think that both of them running simultaneously on a 30 amp circuit would trip the breaker. Is there any way that this might factor into the problem?

Are you connected to 30 or 50 amp service?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Sometimes those complicated systems need to be reset to work right again (from what I have read on this forum, no personal experience).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hello,
First you do need 50 amp for both heat pumps. Second you may have selected fan only. Be sure you selected HP. Zone 1 is one HP, zone 2 is the other. Is the set point high enough to turn on the HP? Run it up to 80 and see if they start. When was the last time you ran AC? It could be low on charge. It won't start if it is.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Thanks for all of the input. Yes it has a 50 amp and I have run the temp up to the mid 70's and still no heat. I haven't put the zone 1 and 2 on auto just high speed for the fan. I will try auto and see what happens and call AS to see how to reset the controls if this doesn't work. I will post more photos of the AS and info on the shed which I like very much. Thanks again, Glen
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Thermostat

It seems reasonable to suspect the Tstat is not working properly. The heat pump has power to it (the fans work). The PCB in the T-stat may have gone bad if the heat pump is not getting the signal to come on. May be a loose connection or corrosion on the wire at the T-stat. Maybe the switch on the T-stat that tells it to include the heat pump in the operation is not making proper contact. Just some things to think about.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Another problem I read about with these systems is they use phone or network wires and connections from the controller to the AC/heat pump and those connections can't holdup to the current required for the thermostat.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Thermostat wire

Generally Thermostat wire is 18 or 20 AWG wire which is used only for sending a signal to a contactor which uses that signal to close the contacts to complete a 120v circuit to the AC/Heat pump. The T-stat wire usually carries only low voltage, 12v.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You said it has 50 amp service, but is it hooked up to a 50 amp power source? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
50 amp service

Yes it is hook up o the 50 service and have never had any trouble with it before.

Thanks,
Glen
Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
Generally Thermostat wire is 18 or 20 AWG wire which is used only for sending a signal to a contactor which uses that signal to close the contacts to complete a 120v circuit to the AC/Heat pump. The T-stat wire usually carries only low voltage, 12v.
True but phone and network wire is only 24 AWG so undersized for thermostats and the connecters are a weaker point then the wire.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I've got a single Dometic heat pump and my manual says that when the outside temp reaches 40º the compressor will shut down and will not run again until the ambient temp reaches 45º or better. When it's somewhere near that temp, my fan turns off with the compressor still running and stays that way for 5-10 minutes before the fan comes back on. My guess is that the unit is running the compressor to heat the freon as much as it can before any heat is extracted. I turn on a couple of electric heaters when the temp is going to drop into the 30's. Even with those operating quirks I still like mine quite a bit.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote