Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Have you gone from class B or C MOHO to an Airstream TT

I Never have owned a Class B or C MOHO . I do have an Airstream TT.
Maybe I will move to a MOHO , B or C .

Looking for owners who went from the B or C MoHo to the TT and why you made the switch.
Thanks
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
This maybe the wrong place to post this . I do not know how or where to move it to .
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's not a bad spot or a bad title. Some threads just get more attention than others. Someone will answer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Years ago we briefly owned a 24' class C. When looking to return to RVing, wife was adamant that we get a TT, not another MH. She wants to drop our trailer at destination and explore with our TV. She rehearses the time we went to see family, and had to rely on others to shuttle us around. Also insurance on a MH is higher than on a TT. And it's not good for the engineworks of a MH to sit idle between trips.

There are pros and cons to both modes, and I happen to prefer a MH, but I also prefer to keep my wife happy, so I'm agreeing to side with her.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
We have considered changing to a trailer, but for now we are keeping the 345.

Trailer advantages: No need for a towed vehicle to explore the area around the camp ground. The tow vehicle will likely be a daily driver, eliminating one engine/drive train to maintain.

Disadvantages: More frequent stops since passengers cannot use the rest room while in motion. Less comfortable ride since passengers cannot move around while traveling.
Paul and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
We owned a MiniWinnie class C for a couple of years. The main reason we went to a TT was the inconvenience of having to unhook everything (sewer, water, electric) whenever we wanted to go anywhere once we'd reached our destination. Couple that with the hassles of parking a MoHo in a city or in some small towns and we quickly saw the advantages of a TT plus TV. If we were ever to do another MoHo in the future, which is highly, highly unlikely, we'd have a toad for the convenience of getting around.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
Over the past 35 years I have gone back & forth between a MH & TT 4 times for various reasons. The difference between both can be felt primarily in the pocketbook. A MH costs much more to operate & depreciates faster than A TT. However, in my opinion, a MH is more convenient. 1. can use bathroom both while in motion & without exiting, 2.levels much faster with limited effort, 3. refer available in motion, BUT, 4 Service can be a hassle compared to a TT. 5. Many steps to get into a MH compared to most TT. 6. Many MH have gone out of business when compared to A/S making parts hard to find (example -windshields), 7. Indoor Storage requires taller heights, 8.Dingy connections can cost $3,000 or more, 9. Larger / longer MH are restricted in some states from traveling on roadways, 10. MPG is usually lower on MH & the list goes on.
Hope this helps a bit.
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Class B will have less room than your trailer.
The Class C will have more room, but will suffer on quality and style unless it is a Lazy Daze or Leisure Travel Vans.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . in my previous life I had a small class C MH & then traded it on a tt. . . I prefer the ability to un-hook & then go around the area for fun or supplies,etc. I guess the MH with a toad might give a similar experience, but my TV is also daily driver, & it works for me. We did like that Serro Scotty MH tho. . .. . . to each his/her own I guess, ........regards, Craig
Old 09-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I once owned a small Class C and spent a lot of time working on it. We only had the opportunity to use it in the summer, so it sat unused for 10-11 months. Not good! We enjoyed it more than the pop-up we had previously and had lots of adventures as a young family. The lack of a toad (towed vehicle) was also a limiting factor. As someone else mentioned, we had to unhook everything to go to town. At that time, though, we mostly boondocked or stayed in Forest Service campgrounds and we didn't have much money, so we didn't go to town very often anyway ;-)

I have found I spend much less in up-keep on a trailer and I have now owned four different ones.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
London , Ontario
Hi. We started with a 37 ft SOB 1991 park model. Went to a 24 ft C Class and this summer moved to a 28 c/b '76 Arogsy. Issues for us with C class. Just a bit too small for us. And when traveling always felt need for 2nd vehicle. Otherwise it was great. Having an airstream / argosy was a dream of ours and we like it much better so far.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
We're among those that went from various MHs to a TT. Most recently, we went from a 37 ft. Patriot to a 27 ft AS. Patriot more than 2X, almost 3X, as expensive. Maintenance several times as expensive as the TT and TV combined. A MH depreciates like a lead weight, straight down. (On the other hand you can buy a 10 YO Country Coach in premo condition for less than the price of a Bambi.)

A whole lot of places you simply can't go in a MH, or when you get there camping locations are way limited -- think National Parks, state parks and BLM/Forest Service locations... Oh, did I mention cross-winds? I can't tell you the number of times we simply pulled off the road to wait for the wind to stop -- almost a full day once between Las Vegas, NM and Raton. The AS is completely unfazed by the wind, even in Wyoming.

The living space was pretty much the same in the 37 as the 27 AS - about the only difference is that you go to your truck bed for your gear rather than the Bays in the MH. (We have an 8' bed with a shell and bed slide) GenSet resides in the Truck and has to be hooked up while in the MH it was a simple push of a button. Toward the end of her life, our 100 lb German Shepherd had trouble negotiating the the steps to get into the MH. Ever tried to carry a wet Shepherd up the 5 steps to get out of the rain?

It makes no sense to have a MH if you don't pull a toad - we pulled a Jeep Grand Cherokee. So now you're well over 3X the cost of a TV & TT. Otherwise you're stuck at the campground. The Jeep did offer additional carrying capacity, but we rarely ran out of space to store things.

Our only regret is that we didn't swap out the MH for an AS 10 years earlier.

YMMV...
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I have a Coach House Type B. Use it or my Excursion as TVs, depending on the trip. Going long trips, very nice to O/N in CH & leave TT alone. Can power TT up via CH genset, again that's nice. Leave TT in CG & tour area in Type B. All eqpt is right there with you. There are a few V10 CH B's out there. Ours is a 5.8 L roller cam V8. Coach is perfect for 20 years now.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Cary , North Carolina
Traveling experience in a MH vs TV

In addition to all of the other very valid points made on this thread, I would like to add some considerations related to the actual travel experience in a MH. My wife and I owned several TTs and worked our way up to a 28 foot Airstream. Then we got the MH bug, easily sold the Airstream and moved to a Class C MH, then later traded that for a Class A MH. We became annoyed with all of the complications mentioned before, but in particular whenever we traveled we had the following issues in the MHs:

- The noise was unbearable due to the wind rattling the windows, fans running on the front windshield, onboard engine roaring, and things moving around in the cabinets in the living area behind us
- The Class A had a spectacular view in the front windshield, but sometimes the sun and brightness had to be tolerated
- Any additional passengers other than the driver and copilot had very uncomfortable seating, sitting backwards or to the side going down the road. Furthermore, the windows offered much less visibility than riding in the backseat of a TV
- Yes passengers can use the bathroom while going down the road, but it was like surfing waves to get back there! Also, almost every bladder break included the driver, so we stopped anyway every hour and a half or 2 hours to walk around a bit, so we really didn't utilize this advantage much

So we traded in the MH (at quite a loss) and now own a 27FB Airstream TT and are much happier traveling in our very quiet and comfortable TV!
silvereagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
We went from 2 different class C to a B to our TT.
First class C was what some called a B+ which IMO is a cutaway without a bed over the cab. We wanted something areodynamic and small enough to fit in the driveway. It had a slide and was a bit of a pain to set up and noisy on the road - kept it for one year. Our next C was also a B+ but no slide and a easier to set up with automatic self levelling. The noise was still there even after spending a lot of time trying to fix every rattle and squeek a new one would show up. Kept it for one year . Both C's were only good for travel and could not be parked in cities too easily. Our next was a B Mercedes Sprinter from Pleasureway similar to AS Interstate which were not available in Canada at that time. It was awesome, no setup time, park anywhere (under 20 ft.) no noise because it is a solid unit not a truck with another body attached. It was all steel with only a few holes cut into it for appliances. I used it as my daily driver in the winter and put my sports car away out of the snow. We found out travelling patterns were changing and we like to stay in one spot for more than a few days and we had to take or Sprinter to go anywhere else. Depreciation was racking up as using this as a daily driver put on miles and decided to sell. Kept it for 5 years. We now have a 25' AS so we can stay places longer and use the tow vehicle to go places from there. I also prefer the more comfortable and quiet ride in a SUV towing a TT versus a MH towing a car. I think depreciation totals are much less too.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote