Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

2004 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Has anyone put a rack on top of your Airstream?

We have outgrown our 19" Bambi but I don't want to go any bigger. I want to mount an aluminess rack to the top of my Bambi and put a hardshell pop up tent on the rack. Has anyone done this? My thought is that the rack could somehow mount onto the gutters. I might have have to take off the awning on one side.
Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.
Thanks
shawn
19 Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

I strongly suspect that what you're proposing will generate a LOT of opposition. So to help everyone decide how best to proceed (or even IF to proceed), a few questions:
1 - How many crossbars do you plan to use to support the pop-up tent? The more crossbars, the heavier it will be (each crossbar adds weight) but the more spread out the load will be, because each crossbar has to be positioned exactly on a rib.
2 - How much do you estimate the whole thing will weigh, with people inside? You have to consider Gross Trailer Weight Rating, as well as the load on the tires vs. the tire load rating. Even if the trailer ribs will support the weight, that doesn't help if the tires can't, or if you exceed the GTWR.
3 - Knowing the answers to 1 and 2 above will also help determine how much weight each trailer rib will need to support, and whether they can do it without deflecting too far.
4 - How will people get up and down? Presumably an attached ladder. But how will it be attached, and where?
5 - I'm sure some readers will wonder why you don't just trade up to a larger trailer. So another obvious question is, why don't you want to trade up to a larger trailer?

On edit: 6 - How much height will the pop-up add to the trailer in the closed position? You need to know because if you exceed 14 feet total height on the road, the trailer becomes "oversized" and you'll have to worry more about overpasses, etc.
7 - How much height does it add when opened up? Again, don't expect campgrounds with tree cover to provide much more than 14 feet of overhead clearance at campsites, and some may provide a lot less.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I doubt there's a reasonable way to make what you want happen on an Airstream.

Why not put the pop up on the tow vehicle?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

I strongly suspect that what you're proposing will generate a LOT of opposition. So to help everyone decide how best to proceed (or even IF to proceed), a few questions:
1 - How many crossbars do you plan to use to support the pop-up tent? The more crossbars, the heavier it will be (each crossbar adds weight) but the more spread out the load will be, because each crossbar has to be positioned exactly on a rib.
2 - How much do you estimate the whole thing will weigh, with people inside? You have to consider Gross Trailer Weight Rating, as well as the load on the tires vs. the tire load rating. Even if the trailer ribs will support the weight, that doesn't help if the tires can't, or if you exceed the GTWR.
3 - Knowing the answers to 1 and 2 above will also help determine how much weight each trailer rib will need to support, and whether they can do it without deflecting too far.
4 - How will people get up and down? Presumably an attached ladder. But how will it be attached, and where?
5 - I'm sure some readers will wonder why you don't just trade up to a larger trailer. So another obvious question is, why don't you want to trade up to a larger trailer?

On edit: 6 - How much height will the pop-up add to the trailer in the closed position? You need to know because if you exceed 14 feet total height on the road, the trailer becomes "oversized" and you'll have to worry more about overpasses, etc.
7 - How much height does it add when opened up? Again, don't expect campgrounds with tree cover to provide much more than 14 feet of overhead clearance at campsites, and some may provide a lot less.
Protagonist Great to have you back!!!!!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Protagonist Great to have you back!!!!!
Thank you. I'm told there has been a distinct shortage of verbose, pedantic posts here on the Forums while I was gone, so I'm trying to make up for lost time!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The alternative would be a tent next to the trailer. Both have similar issues with getting wet. Both have issues with access to and from the trailer. Both wear out in a fairly short period of time (compared to an AS). Both take time to set up and tear down.

Why not a tent? (or several tents...) It does work .....

There are a *lot* of issues with putting stuff on the roof of most RV's ... an AS is no exception.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Adding racks and that kind of weight on top of an Airstream would probably not be within the design parameters of the trailer, and would tend to cause a roll-over and/or dangerous sway.

Not a good idea IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How about a long bed truck with a shell or small truck camper to sleep more?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

2004 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I doubt there's a reasonable way to make what you want happen on an Airstream.

Why not put the pop up on the tow vehicle?
I wanted the popup tent on the airstream because I don't want it on my suburban as it is my daily driver and we only camp once a month.

Thanks for everyone's help. I should probably just put the tent on my suburban as it would be much cheaper and easier to do this.

This is what I want to add on top. http://www.ikamper.com

Aluminess - http://www.aluminess.com/roof-racks/ racks are very light and would I would have one built to go around the a/c unit. I would use Yakima crossbars and put the hardshell camper on top. Total weight would not be that much but it would probably add 2 ft on top as I have to go above the ac unit.
19 Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 Bambi View Post
I wanted the popup tent on the airstream because I don't want it on my suburban as it is my daily driver and we only camp once a month.

Thank for everyone's help. I should probably just put the tent on my suburban as it would be much cheaper and easier to do this.
A freestanding tent alongside the Airstream is even cheaper, and works just as well as overflow accommodations. I've lost count of the number of trailers and motorhomes I've seen in campgrounds— especially State Parks— where the campers set up a tent for the children to sleep in right alongside the RV.

A freestanding tent makes for easier access to bathroom facilities for the tent-dwellers, is less expensive, can be larger than a roof-mounted tent for improved comfort, and can be carried either inside the trailer or inside the tow vehicle while in transit. The money you save on a freestanding tent can be spent on cots, etc. to make tent-dwelling more comfortable.

The roof-mounted tent really only becomes necessary in bear country, and even then, I think bears know how to climb ladders almost as well as they climb trees.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
With a rack you could haul a few hay bales, or a boat....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

As someone said, good to hear from you again. I hope all is well.

To the OP: I too have a 19FC and we are out growing it. We just changed our sleeping arrangement. My son and I are on the bed, while my wife and daughter are on the dinette.

Assuming this will not work for you, what you are suggesting would be like putting a tow hitch on a stock VW bug and expect it to tow a 30FC. Can it be done, yes, should it be done, I think you know the answer.

I am looking at the 25FC, however, this means a new TV as well because my current TV can not pull at 25FC. Due to our lifestyle, I can not carry two new payments: TT and a TV.

Thus, our sleeping arrangements will have to do till then.

Good luck.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

to the OP:

There is one thing I've sort have assumed you have. It is worth asking about though .... Do you already have the tent option for the Bambi? If not, that would be something to consider.

Bob
Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
How about a long bed truck with a shell or small truck camper to sleep more?
How 'bout; 'keep it simple'?"
Buy a 30 footer, or longer?
Sleeps more people.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is another issue that has not yet come up:

What do you do with / about the AC? To make the "rack" work, it's got to go over the top of the AC. Otherwise, there really isn't much space for a tent. You need airflow to the AC so there needs to be some clearance. Do you plan to run the AC when people are in the tent? I'd suggest that's going to be a major mess ....

Yes, we are spiraling off into who knows where. It would be nice to hear from the OP ....

Bob
Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Tried to find the pic but no luck, I thought it was in Airstream sightings a few mos ago but a pic was posted of a 19'? With a ladder up the back and a small platform mounted over the top rear. Would I do it? No. But someone did.
Thought it was said to be an observation deck for viewing races or runs?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

AS roof structure is pretty vulnerable. Unless you know where to walk, it's very easy to damage the roof. That is the common explanation to "why no ladders?" on an AS. The rack / platform would need to be part of any "attic' you put on. Anchoring both the platform *and* the ladder would be tricky. I suppose you could call a "weak roof" a design flaw. I'd say it's a design that meets the normal requirements for use of the trailer.

There are indeed others who approach things differently. Some Class A's are set up to survive a 360 degree roll (side to side, not end to end). I know of at least one that actually drove away after the "event". No idea how *far* it drove ....

Bob
Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
My advice is don't do it for several reasons. 3 of which 1 resale value of the Airstream would drop, 2. introducing leak points into your roof and 3. design limits of the Airstream.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Does Zip Dee make a add a room in 19 foot ?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
That looks pretty cool. I'm thinking that attaching it to either your Suburban or your AS topside, there will be more drag and your MPG will go down a bit.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote