Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have a fold up bike. It can ride on a bed (in thetrailer) or the back seat of the car.....yes we tow with a car...and its a convertible...and you can toss things in it like a pick up and still have a trunk too.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Neil & Lynn, how are the fold up bikes as bikes? My wife has been spoiled by her somewhat fancy unit.

Gene

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
We have a 18ft unit so we do not have much room inside the coach and i never like the idea of putting our bikes on top of our tow vehicle. my wifes' bike is small, well because she is a small person. so with wheels off her frame can be stowed away pretty easily. i have a ritchey break-away frame that breaks down at the seat tube joint and the bottom bracket...basically mid point of the middle triangle. you wouldnt believe how small that thing breaks down and how easy it is to assemble and disassemble. you should check them out at www.ritcheylogic.com also, tom the innovator of the break-away is a good friend of mine and he takes his bike all around the world.
my two cents worth.
-b
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Mount a hitch receiver on the front of the TV. This is what I did on my MH. This way it can be removed completely when not needed. I use a locking pin on the receiver & a cable lock to secure the bikes to the bike rack. The bikes can be locked to the rack when it's off the vehicle at the campsite. It's awful hard for a thief to lift a bike rack with 2 bikes locked to it. At shadier locations the bike locking cable can secure them to a tree or your trailer.

I'll post some photos tomorrow after I take some.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Neil & Lynn, how are the fold up bikes as bikes? My wife has been spoiled by her somewhat fancy unit.

Gene
We got the 6 speed that Camping World sells. Maybe I can remember the make before I finish this post. The bike is great for peddling around a campground, even on uneven surfaces. But obviously it isn't the mountain bike I used to have. I gave that to a teenager when I had both hips replaced 3 years ago. I was told by my surgeon not ride anything but a stationary bike. Well, I was going crazy not being able to ride a bike when camping so I tried the fold up with 20" wheels. Lynn suffered a disabling stroke he same time I was having my surgeries and was determined to ride a bike again too. We had the bike for a couple of months without mastering riding again. I just about gave up when our daughter 'retaught' her mom how to ride and she rides well now. I wasn't going to let her 'get away with 'that' and with renewed determination off I went. Yup, we both ride good but we need to get another bike so we can now ride together. Oh, the bike brand is "Yeah". As for my surgeon, he had knee reconstruction after he did my hips. He was a competition road bike rider and HIS surgeon said no bikes for a while. He admitted to me later that he was not gving u riding to work as before his surgery. So now I won't tell on him to HIS surgeon and he won't rag on me. AND we got the extra wide seat. That makes a difference too.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We have a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike. We easily carry them inside our 19' CCD without harming the Airstream or the bike/trikes. Then we quickly haul them out at the camp site tether them to a tree or in the screenhouse or under the awning. or ride! Very easy. We also don't access st he Airstream much while drive from point to point. It has been a very workable solution for us. The canoe goes on top of the truck.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
We got the 6 speed that Camping World sells. Maybe I can remember the make before I finish this post.
I think they are called Dahan, or Yeah, depending on who CW got them from this month.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Just a note on the front mount idea. We use this method now and will continue later. I use the truck in the winter to plow snow so I already have a "mount" there for that ( heavy like 150#) so I could not use the front reciver hitch mount. So I used a old Western Unimount plow upright mounted some 1 inch square tubing arms that rotate down and pin in place. The whole thing just pins in place to the plow mount (takes about 30 seconds) it goes on in the spring and comes off in the fall. We love it EXECPT While towing at night in the rain the bikes reflect so much light from the headlights it is hard to see past them!!!!
To help with this problem I have taken off the tires if the weather report calls for rain and have had good success. I should meniton that we carry 3 mountain bikes and this year will have a small "beginner" bike as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Just a note on the front mount idea. We use this method now and will continue later. I use the truck in the winter to plow snow so I already have a "mount" there for that ( heavy like 150#) so I could not use the front reciver hitch mount. So I used a old Western Unimount plow upright mounted some 1 inch square tubing arms that rotate down and pin in place. The whole thing just pins in place to the plow mount (takes about 30 seconds) it goes on in the spring and comes off in the fall. We love it EXECPT While towing at night in the rain the bikes reflect so much light from the headlights it is hard to see past them!!!!
To help with this problem I have taken off the tires if the weather report calls for rain and have had good success. I should meniton that we carry 3 mountain bikes and this year will have a small "beginner" bike as well.
I agree, we started using a front hitch when we had the Suburbans. When we switched to the pick-me-up, I started putting the bikes in the bed of the truck. Realized the front hitch is way more convenient, so I added a front hitch to the pick me up as well. It is hard to beat for convenience/ease of use. This freed up the truck bed for the rest of the junk too. I donít seem to be bothered by the bikes up front, in fact I kind of like being able to keep an eye on them. I do take one of the bike seats off though (the one directly in front of driver). We have 3 bikes up front, kayaks/porta bote up on the truck roof. So the front hitch works out great. Highly recommended.
Bill
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
We got the 6 speed that Camping World sells. Maybe I can remember the make before I finish this post. The bike is great for peddling around a campground, even on uneven surfaces. But obviously it isn't the mountain bike I used to have. I gave that to a teenager when I had both hips replaced 3 years ago. I was told by my surgeon not ride anything but a stationary bike. Well, I was going crazy not being able to ride a bike when camping so I tried the fold up with 20" wheels. Lynn suffered a disabling stroke he same time I was having my surgeries and was determined to ride a bike again too. We had the bike for a couple of months without mastering riding again. I just about gave up when our daughter 'retaught' her mom how to ride and she rides well now. I wasn't going to let her 'get away with 'that' and with renewed determination off I went. Yup, we both ride good but we need to get another bike so we can now ride together. Oh, the bike brand is "Yeah". As for my surgeon, he had knee reconstruction after he did my hips. He was a competition road bike rider and HIS surgeon said no bikes for a while. He admitted to me later that he was not gving u riding to work as before his surgery. So now I won't tell on him to HIS surgeon and he won't rag on me. AND we got the extra wide seat. That makes a difference too.
Neil
Neil,

I have had multiple hip replacements and two knee replacements. Biking and skiing are out for me, but like you, I hated to give it up. That's why a recumbent trike is great. I have a blast and don't worry about falling which is the biggest reason for avoiding bikes after joint replacement. And the new ones are light weight and zippy. Getting it in and out of the Bambi is easy.

Take a look at them. Here are some examples: TerraTrike - The World's Most Comfortable Recumbent Trike Catrike Performance Trikes. I saw them first at the Moraine Valley IL Rally and thought they were super.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Neil,

I have had multiple hip replacements and two knee replacements. Biking and skiing are out for me, but like you, I hated to give it up. That's why a recumbent trike is great. I have a blast and don't worry about falling which is the biggest reason for avoiding bikes after joint replacement. And the new ones are light weight and zippy. Getting it in and out of the Bambi is easy.

Take a look at them. Here are some examples: TerraTrike - The World's Most Comfortable Recumbent Trike Catrike Performance Trikes. I saw them first at the Moraine Valley IL Rally and thought they were super.
Thanks for the recumbent suggestion. I've often thought they look like a lot of fun and there may be one in my future. My knees need work eventually if not soon. Within a years time 3 years ago I had a cervicle laminectomy, both hips replaced and supporting my wife after her stroke. While we both had to have in home care from friends and we were thumping around with walkers we bought our Trade Wind. A good..GOOD friend drove us 800 miles to Oregon to tow the AS back to our driveway. While it was parked in our driveway we worked on it to make it 'ours'. What fun, really. It gave us the drive to heal much faster. It took perhaps 6 months before we felt capable enough to tow it.....camping at a campground 8 miles from our home. We haven't stopped since! I probably should get my knees done now but for now a hospital room will have to be lined in aluminum to encourage me. Thanks.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Neil, inspiring how you have worked hard to recover and resume an active lifestyle. Perhaps you can wrap your knees in aluminum foil. My right knee steadily deteriorated for years—blame aggressive skiing, but it was fun being a downhill rocket on cross country skis and making 90˚ turns on steep and narrow hiking trails. How I never hit a tree, I don't know. I waited until I was eligible for Medicare for arthroscopic surgery, and now can walk fast, but not sure about uneven trails. I'm careful about where I walk because I don't want an artificial knee (one year recovery), the next step. Injured my back 25 years ago and that's another story.

Staying young is a challenge and I want to do just as much as I did when I was 20 (actually want to do more), but the mental and physical adjustments are trying. Trying not to be an old fogey and sit in a rocker all day. I want to find an easy way my wife can take her bike, not sure whether I want one for myself.

Gene
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post

That's what we did. Mounted two on a board to hold the front wheels of each bike. Built another board with some slats to hold the back wheels in position. The bikes site transverse inside the front door, next to the gaucho on our 30' Airstream. We put a towel under the chain area - but more for peace of mind. I use a bungee to make sure they don't wander - but I'm not sure its necessary.

Our bikes cost a lot. This way, no worry about weather, ruining things, theft, accidental crushing, etc. We can park the rig for hours and not have to be concerned.

Total cost was about $15.

The bikes are out of the way if we need access during travel. And they can be taken out within minutes when we're setting up camp.

I look at that long overhang past my rear axels, and the engineering training in me says - don't add 50 lbs 10 feet behind the axel.
Here's the one bike version of that in a 20' that I use. The jigsaw puzzle effect of the boards keeps it from moving:
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Here's some photos as promised in post #18. I've seen smaller SOB MH with a bike rack that clamped onto the front bumper. Look around before deciding what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4415.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	77094   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4416.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	77095  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4419.jpg