Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
If you know what your doing a cheap one wont suite you.
We all get that you're not a fan of Chinese products. Isn't there a more constructive way to contribute to the discussion?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hmmm, I thought I would weigh in on this discussion between tool purists, and tool pragmatists, but then reread the original post, and realized that the question was not whether one should buy tools there or not, but whether we are all stock-holders.

First I got nervous, thinking I must have missed the memo, and that I might be the only Forum member who is not a stock holder, but after a little research, I discovered that unfortunately, it is a privately held company, so it is difficult for one to become a stockholder. If they do go for an IPO, this thread can be continued. In the mean-time observe the following, and lighten up a little.

Truth in Advertising? – Hazard Fraught Tools Â*|Â*Hooniverse
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
We all get that you're not a fan of Chinese products. Isn't there a more constructive way to contribute to the discussion?
Yes, borrow a good one from a friend, or brother like I.

Do you have any idea just how much china garbage
is in our landfills that shouldn't be there because
its junk? There should be an anti junk law.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I've been looking at buying a turbine HVLP sprayer system at HF. It's about $100 on sale. Real HVLP turbines will set you back at least $300 for a used setup, and I only need to paint a few things. Reviews online lead me to believe it will work for what I want. Why pay more for the best tool if a 'good enough' tool will do the job? And both options are cheaper than paying someone who knows what they're doing
I picked one of those HVLP combos up when it was on sale for $79.99 and it's totally worth it. It's painted countless things with no issues at all and when it fails, I'll buy another one as it's a lot easier to run an extension cord than it is to drag a 30 gallon compressor everywhere I need it.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #25
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
It's nearly impossible to find Made in the USA tools anymore. Look at all the craftsman tools on the self right now. Most are not USA. There are still some of the slow moving stock that is from a USA foundry, but those foundries are all shutting down. If you're working on something on a late saturday afternoon and NEED something, you will become real pragmatic about where it came from.

Snap-on, Mac, all the premium brands, have a significant amount of Asian iron in their catalogs.

What we all should be really concerned about is they can make good tools. When a company comes in and specs out the right iron, treatment, milling, and finish, they can build good tools. Their is no way a USA foundry can compete with them on price. That's what's wrong. They can also make a socket for $0.35 cost because that is what most people buy.

I have most of the made in USA tools I want to own, so I'll share a secret. You can still buy USA made tools on ebay.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I am crying, that link is spot on funny. I'm torn between the cordless hammer and the manual chain saw.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, I was also laughing so hard I had tears....whale gutting knife????
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The moron lamp got me.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Yes, borrow a good one from a friend, or brother like I.

Do you have any idea just how much china garbage
is in our landfills that shouldn't be there because
its junk? There should be an anti junk law.
if there was anti-junk law, none of us would be camping in hard sided campers from Ohio and Indiana !!
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
if there was anti-junk law, none of us would be camping in hard sided campers from Ohio and Indiana !!

At least you can fix them.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I bought a multi-tool from HF, for twenty something dollars, instead of a Feign multi-tool for $350. The thirty dollar tool has saved me time, and saved me from having to call in a pro. I have only needed it 5 times this year. I feel like it paid for itself by using it once. When it breaks, I'll buy a new one
SOMETIMES, a homeowner doesn't need the BEST tool, and sometimes can't afford the best tool. I'd rather give $20 to China, than $350 to Sweden, or pay an American $50 an hour.
That multi tool has been a life save MANY times . Today I used it to cut out additional rotted flooring in the AS.
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have never regretted buying quality tools...T hat being said, I hate to buy Airstrem renovation specific tools that will last for more than a single renovation--don't EVER want to be tempted to start another one...
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Cheap tools get people hurt. I never buy that HF junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Matthew014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew014 View Post
Cheap tools get people hurt. I never buy that HF junk.

Sorry, but I disagree with that. Stupidity gets people hurt. Dumb folks can even hurt themselves with the best tools money can buy.

To put it another way, if they can't do the job with an inexpensive tool, they probably are not capable to have tools in the first place.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
My brother Tom always told me it if your livelihood or life depends upon it, don't buy it at HF. He also believed that HF has good tools provided you buy the ones that don't have any moving parts.

I've bought trailer lights, zip ties (great for securing Zip Dee awnings), plastic gloves and those $14 angle grinders and cut off wheels from HF. The wire welder I bought was p.o.c., not strong enough to weld anything but small, hobby stuff.

When we re-did our Airstream the best tool I got was short, double ended drill bits from HKW supply... they are also available at Amazon.com.

They are sharp, stay sharp and everything that Irwin says they do, they do. They are about $25-30 a package. Use them in a high speed drill that you can get at Harbor Freight
Double-End Black Oxide Coated High Speed Steel Drill Bits - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
My brother Tom always told me it if your livelihood or life depends upon it, don't buy it at HF.
Fair enough on that. If the tool is mission critical, I would not count on HF tools.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
It just cracks me up how it see the owners of the top of the line travel trailers always refer to buying the absolute worst tool there are. I would recommend at least going to Lowes to buy your tools.

Matthew014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
SK tools are a reasonably priced Mostly made in America brand.

I like their wrenches, screwdrivers, and sockets better than my Snap On and at least as good as my Matco tools. SK ratchets kind of suck though.

These will sell for about half of the premium brands.

If a person uses their tools quality matters. I have never broken an SK, Spap On, or Matco socket. When I used to use a lot of Craftsman I broke a lot of em. A person can get hurt when a socket breaks.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew014 View Post
It just cracks me up how it see the owners of the top of the line travel trailers always refer to buying the absolute worst tool there are. I would recommend at least going to Lowes to buy your tools.

And Airstreams are top of the line? Not from the laundry list of complaints I have seen! HF just like Lowe's sells tools made to a certain price point. Based on your recommendation I would be better off only buying German built tools from a specialty tool supply house.

You buy the tool that suits your need for the project at hand. I have a $75 hickory handled 26 ounce framing hammer from the 1970's, I would not recommend trying to us it to put picture hangers in...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Harbor Freight

The German made Knip-X pliers are excellent

There are still very good American made tools, problem is people dont spend the money to buy em.

As a rule I buy American when it is available and I can afford it because I think it is the right thing to do.

I try not to buy products from China because the cumulative effect of such buying is killing our nation. Sometimes economics force my hand, but not too often.

I seldom go to Harbor Freight but I have.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote