Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Craftsman torque wrenches used to be great in the 70s. There current sale for "imported" ones is under $40 and the sale at HF was at $11. Somehow, I want accuracy for the lug nuts on the trailer and truck.

I acquired a " 250 pound torque wrench from Airstream, and the test label included showed a variance of nearly 10% from the set value. That is just bad news. It does not list the country of origin on any of the documentation or the device itself. It will go to a local thrift store.

The same sized and capacity wrench at Lowe's (around $75) was made in Taiwan and claims 0.5% accuracy.

The Snap-On equivalent was listed for $315....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado
Harbor Freight

I've got a digital calibration tool. You clamp I in the vise to check your torque wrench at different set points. They all seem to be all over the place until you get into the +$200 stuff. The cheap HF are no better or worst than the others.

For the lug nuts on my MH, I stand on a 2 foot mark on a 4 foot breaker bar. My calibrated fat butt weighs 200 lbs. works great for the recommended 400 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #73

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Dog View Post
They all seem to be all over the place until you get into the +$200 stuff.
Pretty bad when you can't afford the tools to check your lugnuts! Dang!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Pretty bad when you can't afford the tools to check your lugnuts! Dang!
We need to get that highly qualified pneumatic impact torque wrench all the service station guys use. You know the one that they just keep pounding the lug nut until it says "uncle"... or pulls the stud through the wheel.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I had my Land Yacht motor home, I bought the Precision torque wrench Precision Instruments C4D600F 3/4" Dr. Split Beam Click Type Torque Wrench with Detacheable Ratchet Head - 200-600 Lb. Ft. - - Amazon.com as it was made in the USA. When I later acquired the 32-ft Excella, I bought another Precision torque wrench Precision Instruments (PREC3FR250F) 1/2" Dr. "Split Beam" Torque Wrench w/Flex head (40-250 Ft./Lbs) - - Amazon.com and I still use it. I didn't sell the 3/4" one, but use it to torque the ball on the hitch head.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
we need to get that highly qualified pneumatic impact torque wrench all the service station guys use. You know the one that they just keep pounding the lug nut until it says "uncle"... Or pulls the stud through the wheel.
lol :d
Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #77

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The last two items I bought from Harbor Freight broke before the first job was finished. A set of hex keys turned into corkscrews when I attempted to use them and an 1 inch wrench snapped in two when I tried to loosen a hitch ball and no I was not using a cheater just my hands. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. There won't be a third time for me.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
The last two items I bought from Harbor Freight broke before the first job was finished. A set of hex keys turned into corkscrews when I attempted to use them and an 1 inch wrench snapped in two when I tried to loosen a hitch ball and no I was not using a cheater just my hands. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. There won't be a third time for me.
Hey, I can beat that. I bought a small plastic container full of various "A-clamps" from HF a couple years ago. The package was never opened and it ended up on a shelf in the garage. I opened it up a few weeks ago, and half of them had broken just sitting in the package !
Now that takes some engineering there .... to design and build something that self destructs before it even comes outta the package.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Im a retired carpenter with a fairly good set of carpenters building tools, not a cabinet maker (though i have) but a carpenter. I had never set foot in a HF until joining this forum and seeing it mentioned time and again. (That says something right there, dont know what but....). Anyway, i went and took a look at the store and i thought it was crazy fun!!! Obviously, it is what it is! I had a good time checking out all the different things they carry and kinda chuckled like a kid. I bought a half a dozen $2 LED flashlights that are small enough to fit in your pocket/purse and im gonna give em away for stocking stuffers, theyre GREAT! Hehe
Later, i was installing some flush mount speakers in my 310 and had to cut the holes with a roto-tool, not enough room to get my bosch jig saw in there. My rotozip quit on me while cutting the first hole. It had lived a long productive life and after taking a good look at it, it was gone for good. Soooooo, i was in the middle of cutying these holes, hadnt done any research on buying a new roto-tool, so i said what the heck, ill go see what HF has. I bought a $20 roto-tool there, finished cutting my speaker holes and installed my new speakers. COOL!

I didnt expect this tool to last, or be more than a $20 tool, but it served its purpose. Ive used it a couple times since and it still works. Its more like a craft tool than anything but the point is.....it served its purpose and it was worth $20 to me to get the job finished.

Most of my carpentry tools are Milwaukee, bosch, porter cable chordless, etc. they took a beating while on the job no doubt. They served their purpose. I guess i just dont understand some of the attitude when it comes to a place like HF and what they carry. Its kinda like kiddy tool heaven and every now and then you might luck out and find something decent that lasts. I wouldnt go there to buy ANYTHING that i expected to last very long or had a high potential to be a safety hazard, that would be foolish, but so is putting someone down cause they chose to grab something there. There's room for a place like HF, i was tickled to find those flash lights AND that little roto-tool.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
None of the clicking type torque wrenches are going to be accurate unless calibrated fairly often. The older bending beam type wrenches will always be accurate. Unless you put a permanent bend in it, the bending properties of that bar will never change.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The Craftsman torque wrenches used to be great in the 70s. There current sale for "imported" ones is under $40 and the sale at HF was at $11. Somehow, I want accuracy for the lug nuts on the trailer and truck.

I acquired a " 250 pound torque wrench from Airstream, and the test label included showed a variance of nearly 10% from the set value. That is just bad news. It does not list the country of origin on any of the documentation or the device itself. It will go to a local thrift store.

The same sized and capacity wrench at Lowe's (around $75) was made in Taiwan and claims 0.5% accuracy.

The Snap-On equivalent was listed for $315....
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Harbor Freight. Freight that comes into a harbor. Freight from overseas. I get it now! Truth in advertising. Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
I admit I'm a tool snob and most always buy top shelf brand tools. I'm an auto mechanic by trade and a woodworker in my free time. What I've spent in tools is well into the 10s of thousands of dollars.

When I'm working on anything (car, trailer, home, whatever), I want my mind focused on what I'm trying to accomplish, not on whether I have the right tool or if I have a tool that will "kinda work", or wonder if my tool will work long enough to complete the job. And I'm sure that has more to do with me being a professional, rather than a shady tree mechanic.

I don't care what brand tools anyone else buys, it's really none of my business. But I do think cost should not be the main factor when purchasing tools.....especially power tools. When buying hand tools you can get away with inexpensive sockets, wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, but I promise you that you will spend a whole lot more time than me with stripped out threads, rounded off nuts/bolts, and damaged Phillips head screws (I can't remember the last time I had to drill something out).

Now with power tools, I would recommend going to at least a Lowes/Home Depot/Sears when buying these. I've seen way to many industrial accidents caused by junk and/or mis-used tools. If it's powered or attaches to something powered, spend the extra money. It may save you a finger or an eye.

Just the ramblings a of an old mechanic.
Matt

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I am crying, that link is spot on funny. I'm torn between the cordless hammer and the manual chain saw.

I haven't laughed that hard in a loooooong time!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #84
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I make my living with my tools. Use them hard, day in, day out.
If you want to do good work, buy good tools.
I live less than a mile from Harbor Fright and never go in that place.
Nothing good comes from there.