Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hail, Oh No

On our maiden voyage we came very close to having an interaction with a severe hail storm. Fortunately, it went around us but it was close enough that they were going around the campground giving high wind and hail warnings. Is there anything we can do besides cry? Would a tarp help? How would you anchor it? Thanks for any input
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you tow with a front loader, you can dig a hole and cover the trailer when the storm comes. Or contact NASA about a force field generator.

Having just driven through Kansas, I share your concern. Other than hiding under a solid object, listening to a weather radio, and driving fast, there's no defense.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Driving fast may not be a good defense either. Story, as told to me at time of purchase, is towed through a hailstorm in Montana. Sounds reasonable, very little damage elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Without Cap 1600.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	79382  
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I always wondered about the hat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Driving fast may not be a good defense either. Story, as told to me at time of purchase, is towed through a hailstorm in Montana. Sounds reasonable, very little damage elsewhere.

Wow. Having never really experience any significant hail storms other than the pea size stuff we get here, I can only imagine the damage and sound of that kind of storm. It sure gives the trailer character but sad to see that it happens. Im glad you are giving her a happy home regardless of her complexion.. Beauty is only skin deep huh

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Wow. Having never really experience any significant hail storms other than the pea size stuff we get here, I can only imagine the damage and sound of that kind of storm. It sure gives the trailer character but sad to see that it happens. Im glad you are giving her a happy home regardless of her complexion.. Beauty is only skin deep huh

Vinnie
Yep! Now you know about the hat. Somewhere down the line new panels are in the plan. I recently learned that they are less expensive than I had thought. Labor is a major part of the cost of replacement.

I have a couple of friends who are A&Ps. One has already offered to give me riveting lessons, so...

Meanwhile, it doesn’t leak and I can’t see it from my chair inside. A few other projects with greater importance. I do get a kick from people talking about one or two small dings. Don’t get me wrong, I sympathize with even one ding, but I think I’m for just about any hail damage throwdown.

Tags
hail