Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #61
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
We have a friend with a new to them classic. While helping install solar panels last year I noticed his entire roof was lacking the usual number of rivets, and felt very loose. Upon further inspection it was clear the street side was also this way! My friend called the service center and sure enough, it had hail damage, was repaired in JC but to our horror, was double skinned..... roof and entire side! He was told that if the awning rail was screwed rather than riveted it was a factory fix!
This has to add a ton of unequal weight. I wouldnt be happy with this resolution.
Almost impossible to believe that a second skin would be installed over an existing one...so many technical issues. When was this repair purportedly made in JC?

In any case all three bids I received specified removal of damage panels and replacement with new panels.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #62
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
When companies have high demand (I.e. Hail storm), their prices will increase significantly. This is common in many service industries.
Given that Timeless is in Denver, which experienced that catastrophic event, their price being so much higher supports what you are saying. They told me they converted a production bay at their shop (where they normally do custom work) to a repair bay to help handle all the hail-damaged trailers coming in.

Which led me to another thought. Maybe I'd be better served to wait until many of this work at the repair shops has passed through. I do have some concerns about possible hits on quality if all the shops are stacked up with panel repairs and under pressure to get them out the door. Valid concern?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Given that Timeless is in Denver, which experienced that catastrophic event, their price being so much higher supports what you are saying. They told me they converted a production bay at their shop (where they normally do custom work) to a repair bay to help handle all the hail-damaged trailers coming in.

Which led me to another thought. Maybe I'd be better served to wait until many of this work at the repair shops has passed through. I do have some concerns about possible hits on quality if all the shops are stacked up with panel repairs and under pressure to get them out the door. Valid concern?

I was thinking the same, if you can live with it, and it doesn't impact payment or coverage, why not wait until things slow down. My car and wife's was hammered a few tears ago in a big hail storm, we couldn't be without a car, so we phased them. Hers went first and we waited for mine, I procrastinated, and it was three months after.

My car has been perfect, Hugh quality, no paint chips, etc. hers has been a quality nightmare. Her damage was more extensive, so maybe that was it, but I might wait till things calm down if you can.....
Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
State Farm said they will leave my claim open until I can get in and get some estimates and make decisions. I will see if I can get some decent pictures this weekend. Will get up on the flat roof of my carport and take them from up there so I have the best angle. I am camping over the 4th of July Holiday and will focus on getting the estimates done after then.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #65
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well here's the answer. Ha.
https://youtu.be/CP1ngZbu0dE
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #66

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
If they made one to fit my 30' I'd have one!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #67
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I visited the new Airstream Dealer in SLC and looked at their service dept. The technician who does their panel repairs has been doing so for 10+ years. They had a trailer there that they just replaced 4 panels on. I told them not to tell me which ones, and I tried to find them by looking at the rivet heads. I could not figure it out. The work was excellent.

The quote was for $5,000 + tax, vs $4000 + tax at JC, but any savings would be eaten up by gas, notwithstanding getting a 'factory' repair. I decided it isn't rocket science and as long as I had an experienced tech, I'm comfortable with the dealer.

I decided to save myself a 3400 mile round trip to JC and took mine in to Airstream of Utah this week to get my two panels done. I'll report back when I get it back.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #68
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Sounds like you made the right decision.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I find it hard to believe that JC would simply re-skin without removal of damaged skin. I've been there, had word done by the service technicians and had conversations with and watched and in my opinion they go out of their way to do what it right.

Not saying it did not happen, but I would be surprised.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
It Does Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I find it hard to believe that JC would simply re-skin without removal of damaged skin. I've been there, had word done by the service technicians and had conversations with and watched and in my opinion they go out of their way to do what it right.

Not saying it did not happen, but I would be surprised.
During one trip to JC for service, we met a couple with a brand new trailer with an upper corner panel that had been damaged backing down their driveway. JC placed the new panel directly on top of the damaged one. I asked the service technician why he wasn't removing the damaged panel. He stated standard procedure is to not remove the damaged panel if the damage is above the beltline. If the damage is below the beltline, the damaged panels are removed.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote