Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Hail damage

Got into a hail storm and have dimples any advice? 201527fb international.
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
You don't give much info - but what I have heard, if they are not too severe, they might improve considerably on their own with summer heat.

If not, maybe you should see what coverage your insurance gives you for loss of value if not for actual repair.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful2 View Post
Two choice - if severe call your insurance agent - they will total the Airstream - then you buy another. Severe - golf ball size dings, split seams or loosened rivets, vents, a/c shroud, etc ruined. Do take pictures of all four sides and the roof - and send them to Jackson Center to for an estimate (in case your insurance company tries to go cheapo on the repairs). Less severe but covers both ends and the roof - well ditto the advice above - it could cost $20K if the damage covers that much area.

Very minor - you were under shelter and one end got some smallish dimples. You CAN choose to live with it, over time the dimples will lessen as the sun causes the panels to expand and contract.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Unfortunately, the only way to minimize the dimples and dents is to roll the out from the inside surface of the shell. I have heard of limited success using dry ice for the really small ones. I have grown fond of some of our dings. It keeps me from being distracted by them. Just focus on the smooth area, not the ding.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Quote:
The damage is to the panels on the front top and to top don't have ladder, adjustor said I would be able to take to Jackson ,Ohio then adjustor would work I.e. Negoate with a.s. Progressive ins.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hail storms are my horror! Airstreams are prone to significant damage from hail. Maybe hail is the largest cause of damage and loss in America. I'm from the midwest, and hail causes millions in damage to crops. And I think of all the car dealers that get hit every year. And all the roofs on homes that are damaged. Awful.

My 86 Limited has been in three hail storms since we have owned it. All of them occurred after I polished it of course. The hail damage has reduced its value. The cost to repair hail damage on old Airstreams is prohibitively expensive. I had one dealer estimate $50k to replace the roof skins and end caps on my trailer. It's expensive material and highly labor intensive.

Dents can be diminished by rolling them out from the inside while someone holds a bag of sand or shot on the outside. You have to remove the inner skins, again highly labor intensive. I tried dry ice, glue tabs, and suction cups with limited success. Aluminum stretches when it is dented, so restoring it to it's exact before dent shape is nearly impossible.

I feel real bad about your beautiful 2015 27 footer. Luckily you are insured by a good outfit. Pursue your claim and redeem as much of your loss as you can. Then you can decide to repair it, trade it or keep it as is. Airstream is making 50 new ones a week, maybe you want to start all over again. And Airstream can do an excellent job repairing your new trailer if you decide to go that route. Jackson Center likes to do these big projects over the winter. Drop it off in November and pick it up in April.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
The damage is to the panels on the front top and to top don't have ladder, adjustor said I would be able to take to Jackson ,Ohio then adjustor would work I.e. Negoate with a.s. Progressive ins.
Did you get that in writing?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
We go to key west dec-February so that time frame is out. Haha
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Foiled Again

I do not have hail damage but do have some dings left by PO. Can Jackson Center give estimate simply by providing some photos? I have several other small issues that they might be able to help me with. Perhaps I could combine projects and have one repair... let me know. Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My trailer came from FL originally. I used to live down there and, unfortunately, they seem to get more than their fare share of hail storms. Well the bottom line is....you live with it. It costs WAY more to fix it than it's worth. You cannot bondo these silver trailers. And once the metal is stretched, it's hard to beat the dent out without secondary effects happening.

Sorry to be The Bearer of Bad News. But you basically drill out the rivets and replace the panels, or you live with them. If they're not bad, you "might" be able to roll some of it out. But the proper fix is new panels. It's more Labor than it is Materials.

Best of luck,
Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCamper07 View Post
Foiled Again

I do not have hail damage but do have some dings left by PO. Can Jackson Center give estimate simply by providing some photos? I have several other small issues that they might be able to help me with. Perhaps I could combine projects and have one repair... let me know. Thanks
Generally yes - the more pictures you send them the better - if damage penetrates to the interior, those pictures need to be included. They gave me a very accurate estimate on a lower roadside rear panel replacement - even quoted it with either bucked rivets or olympics. I chose bucked.

One thing to consider - if you're going to USE a trailer it will get a bit dinged up here and there - and nothing irks you worse than paying for a repair and getting new damage six months later on the same panel.

Paula
Old 05-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
I have tow dings on the end caps - one on each side. I'm sure no one likes this... just like no one likes getting door dings on a new car. I hope to be able to park the TT indoors before long... at least away from trees and other 'falling objects.' I have seen too many AS dinged by improper/careless backing... I'm still working to 'train' my partner to do this (she certainly hasn't mastered backing up, so I have no choice!). Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I see the pro dent removal guys are using glue pulling systems for hail dent removal in aluminum bodies . Anyone have experience with that? If it works on F150 body why wouldn't it work on an Airstream?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The 'Airstream Dimples' are speed enhancers.... cut drag way down.. and hard to dent the area TWICE. =)

We have some of the Dimples...the AS was hit prior to our purchase... but most hits are on the end caps...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I tried "home use" grade glue pullers like "dent king" and similar. I found the glue tabs would not adhere well to my dented, but polished aluminum.

I tried alcohol cleaning of the area, and scotch brite "roughing" of the area to no avail. The glue would pop off the aluminum before I could pull the dent flush.

I had hail damage on my new Super Duty. The dent repair person removed these with glue tabs and a puller very expertly. But many of the dents he removed he worked from the back side. This was easier to do on the hood of my pick up than the end caps of my Airstream. I think the glue is designed to stick, but not damage automotive painted surfaces. It doesn't seem to work well on bare, polished aluminum for me.

I asked this paintless dent repair person about doing my Airstream. He said he shies away from aluminum surfaces due to the "stretch" factor and said if he did, he would need access to the back side of the dent. I understand Ford is doing a lot of training of body shop personnel on repairing aluminum. But aluminum body parts have been around for a very long time. My '61 Austin Healey 3000 had aluminum hood, doors, and trunk lid.

By the way, I understand Airstream end caps are a different aluminum alloy designed for forming compound shapes. My 86 Limited end caps are more dented than the roof or side skins. I don't think end cap material is as strong as the roof sheets.

I ordered "professional" glue tabs and hot melt glue from a body shop catalog. I've had the material for a year but have not made the time to go try it. I'll report back if I have any success with the "professional" glue tabs and pullers.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have used Dent King to minimize some dings. The pull frame and hot melt glue cost $15 at auto stores. It works on bent, but not elongated metal. In my opinion, worth the money to try it. You do need to get the adhesive off the clearcoat, without damaging it, when you are done.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
My aluminum is not polished (been sitting for a bit). I don't know if that helps or not. I'll have to try this as it would save much time. If not, I will have to remove interior cap to access exterior end cap from below (underneath).
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Well now have estimate of 17,000 wow replacing panels are about 2100 each but is it worth it or do you live with it? Just saying not that bad and perfect is hard to keep up with. Love my tour and service from factory. They are great people we are so glad to own an Air Stream.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I have come to think the older models stand up to hail better than the new ones.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
I have come to think the older models stand up to hail better than the new ones.

Not true, I have moderate damage on my end caps but I've learned to live with it, many of the dents are quarter sized
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote