Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I tried "home use" grade glue pullers like "dent king" and similar. I found the glue tabs would not adhere well to my dented, but polished aluminum.

I tried alcohol cleaning of the area, and scotch brite "roughing" of the area to no avail. The glue would pop off the aluminum before I could pull the dent flush.

I had hail damage on my new Super Duty. The dent repair person removed these with glue tabs and a puller very expertly. But many of the dents he removed he worked from the back side. This was easier to do on the hood of my pick up than the end caps of my Airstream. I think the glue is designed to stick, but not damage automotive painted surfaces. It doesn't seem to work well on bare, polished aluminum for me.

I asked this paintless dent repair person about doing my Airstream. He said he shies away from aluminum surfaces due to the "stretch" factor and said if he did, he would need access to the back side of the dent. I understand Ford is doing a lot of training of body shop personnel on repairing aluminum. But aluminum body parts have been around for a very long time. My '61 Austin Healey 3000 had aluminum hood, doors, and trunk lid.

By the way, I understand Airstream end caps are a different aluminum alloy designed for forming compound shapes. My 86 Limited end caps are more dented than the roof or side skins. I don't think end cap material is as strong as the roof sheets.

I ordered "professional" glue tabs and hot melt glue from a body shop catalog. I've had the material for a year but have not made the time to go try it. I'll report back if I have any success with the "professional" glue tabs and pullers.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have used Dent King to minimize some dings. The pull frame and hot melt glue cost $15 at auto stores. It works on bent, but not elongated metal. In my opinion, worth the money to try it. You do need to get the adhesive off the clearcoat, without damaging it, when you are done.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
My aluminum is not polished (been sitting for a bit). I don't know if that helps or not. I'll have to try this as it would save much time. If not, I will have to remove interior cap to access exterior end cap from below (underneath).
MtnCamper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Well now have estimate of 17,000 wow replacing panels are about 2100 each but is it worth it or do you live with it? Just saying not that bad and perfect is hard to keep up with. Love my tour and service from factory. They are great people we are so glad to own an Air Stream.
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I have come to think the older models stand up to hail better than the new ones.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
I have come to think the older models stand up to hail better than the new ones.

Not true, I have moderate damage on my end caps but I've learned to live with it, many of the dents are quarter sized
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Grateful, just turn it in with your insurance agent. And, Oh, by the way, don't believe that adjuster/insurance company bullpookie that the sun will pop them out. Cause it won't. Especially with yours being a 2015 i would expect it put back in pristine condition or totaled. After all you didn't buy a dinged up trailer, believe me, if it was already dented from a previous hail storm whether you had claimed the damage from prior storm or not they would then deny coverage for the current damage as it was already damaged before the current occurrence. Then you get to go gets ya a lawyer, get in a pissin match, ultimately win, and give the lawyer his 35-40% of recovery plus expenses then again he did earn his money as without the attorney you would still be left with a dented up trailer not paid for by the insurance company due to it being preexisting damage. Also, lots of teh insurance companies will only pay for 40% of the cost of repair until the repair is actually made by a dealer and documented. Then they will pay the remaineder. They have actually managed to get that written into the policies. Therefore if you get 40% now and don't fix it and another storm hits causing more damage, guess what, you get a big fat zero for the additional damage as the prior damage had already totalled it and you settled for 40% of the repair cost, pocketed the money and did not repair the trailer, thus they don't owe you. Suckfull is it not
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Each front panels are $2,200 with labor, side panel $5,500. Two estimates are usually needed, send one to Jackson Center, and the other from an authorized AS dealer--issue will be sealer. Have experience "paying out", 38 years in the insurance agent business.

Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote