Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Hail damage

I have 34' 91 Excella Limited we suffered hail damage Tuesday eve April 2 here in Hitchcock, Tx. We got Baseball size hail and the end caps have dents you can put a salad bowl in.
The entire roof, AC unit and one sky light window is trashed.
Taking it to a airstream dealer so they can determine the cost and dealing with the insurance. Every vehicle parked at the house is badly damaged. I had plans to refurbish the trailer the exterior was in excellent condition.
Thomas

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
We all feel your pain. It is going to be a very expensive repair and in fact so much that they may total out your trailer. I hope you have good coverage.

One of my trailers came too close to a flat bed truck when pulling into a rest area. Scratched the panels on both the top and bottom side of the beltline, one had a 1" long tear in it. The trailer was totaled by the insurance company as the cost of replacing all the panels on the road side, top and bottom, was more than the value of the trailer. Sad, huh? But the insurance company not only paid me the retail value of the unit, but also sold the trailer back to me for $1500. I did some minor repairs on it, and ultimately sold it for $4500 with the scratches in place and some minor metal work on the small skin tear.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
I'm sure it's a total loss. I heard insurance companies will not cover cars or trucks after they are issued a salvage title anymore. Basic liability is all you can get. I'll keep you posted since I have the Airstream and a car in that situation.
Thanks
Thomas
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
is it not possible to get a rebuilt title for a trailer? I really know nothing on the issue of titles except what i have read in the forums. I'd imagine the hail damage not worth repairing even if you bought it back from ins. co. , but might be functional 'as is' as a guest house for someone, if they don't mind the dents.

sad... sorry to hear.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
I'm sure it's a total loss. I heard insurance companies will not cover cars or trucks after they are issued a salvage title anymore. Basic liability is all you can get. I'll keep you posted since I have the Airstream and a car in that situation.
Thanks
Thomas
Depending on the size of the hail, most all dents will disappear in time, except the softer metal segments.

Andy
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
I'll post any info when I get official word. I worked sheet metal for years for the airline I work for so I'm hoping for the best. I have plans on building a shop building to store the camper in and refurbish the interior as of Tuesday my priorities have changed just a bit.
Thomas
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Depending on the size of the hail, most all dents will disappear in time, except the softer metal segments.

Andy

It's true, especially if you keep it in a place that gets a lot of heat and sunshine.

Mine went through a severe hail storm here in Austin in 2009, baseball sized hail, resulting in a lot of dents in the roof panel on the streetside. Four years later, and most of them are gone. There will always be a few, and since I keep it stored outside, not under cover, always the possibility of more. I just consider it character.

But, my AC and windows survived. I was definitely fortunate.

Good luck with the insurance company, hope it works out for you.

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote