Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Norman , Oklahoma
Had one light out and took in service then had two

Have 2016 AS which had one of two bathroom lights not working. Took in for service and they informed me while they went to work on the light not working, the other one went out.

Just curious. Could the other light (that was working) get shorted out when they worked on the original light that was not working? Just seemed odd I had one out and then had two while up at service.

Is what it is. $50 light times two now. Just seemed odd. Not going to say anything because both lights work now. Just curious how the other one just all of the sudden stopped working. Amy comments would be appreciated.

Also had a lp regulator that had the visual green and red indicator in a round plastic housing. They replaced it with a regulator that was a solid metal housing....no visual indicator on it. Again not a big deal but did enjoy the visual feature of being able to see if the gas was flowing through regulator. Its actually how I knew the original regulator was not working.
My question...does anyone know if the regulator used on latest models have the visual round plastic housing or just the switch with no visual indicator?
Thanks for the comments.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
So did they say they had to repair something or just change the bulb? If they had to repair something, my guess is that they took the good bulb out, put it in the bad socket, it blew too and then they said "yup, must be a short" and proceeded to fix it after testing...

Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
2016, is it not still in warranty?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If the lights didn't blow a fuse they weren't shorting. Then it might be bad wring connections that caused open circuits. Fooling with the first light could have then caused an open circuit on the other light.

You want the visual indicator on the regulator so you know when a tank is empty. Otherwise you'll only know when you run out.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lights on the same circuit are generally wired in series. If the light that was out was forward of the other light in that series and they dropped the fixture to check things out they may have temporarily opened the circuit to the second light.

I hope that was not a $100.00 repair. It should have taken a mechanic 10 minutes to figure out what was the problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The lights are NOT wired in series. They are daisy chained.
Lights wired in series are like the old Christmas lights where one bulb goes out and they all go out.
That is not the case here. The light fixtures are powered by the same source (circuit) where the power wires are connected with a splice to connect the downstream fixture.
Sounds like the connections were not good at the splice.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Norman , Oklahoma
Was a simple replace one light. There was no problem I was aware of.

When I was in construction if one bearing went out....we replaced the other bearing on the other side. Play it safe. I just did not get the feeling this is what happened.

They charged me $75 for diagnostic and $49 per light.

When I looked at my batteries when I got home....the positive cable was off. Its then I thought about a short happening.

It could of been off for the LP regulator change but not sure.
Wish I did get the same regulator as what was on there before.

Not going to go back to them to make any stink. Just want to be educated and I feel they were not the ones to help me. Smart people on here so I just wanted some opinions. Appreciate them.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Did they ever tell you what was wrong with the lights? Were the housings faulty, was it a short or were the bulbs just blown?

As far as the propane switch over valve, it does not require electricity. Why did they change it out? Were you having trouble with it? I just replaced mine on a much older trailer and mine has the little glass window. My problem is that the new window faces backwards while my first one faced to the front. It is now impossible to see the window because of the shroud covering my tanks. I now carry a little hand mirror in the trailer. Easy fix. I would go back and make a stink on this point. You really need to know your propane levels.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
IMHO it is a good idea when you have work done, to ask the mechanic about the problem and learn what they believe was the cause as well as what they did to correct it. As long as you are reasonable and respectful, there is no reason the organization should object to your inquiry. A good organization should embrace your questions, because they know the more you are involved, the better your relationship will be. The more you learn, the better your RV experience will be and happy customers make good business. Pat
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
IMHO it is a good idea when you have work done, to ask the mechanic about the problem and learn what they believe was the cause as well as what they did to correct it.
Around me, at the large dealerships, you never speak to or see the mechanic who does the job. You speak to a "service advisor" who fills out the paperwork, and you came back, pay the bill at the finance office, and drive away. The service advisor knows nothing about the fix.
I agree with you, but the corporate way is to isolate you from all the work.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, on a 2016 model wouldn’t an issue like the OP had be covered by the 2 year Airstream warranty?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
AW - lights are listed below as not covered. Just the warranty that comes up with a google search, so may not be accurate. It is what I expected to find.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY
This Limited Warranty does not provide coverage for any of the following:
-- snip --
4. Normal maintenance and service items, including but not limited to light bulbs, fuses, lubricants, sealants and seals, slideout adjustments, door adjustments, and awning tension; -- snip --

Seems like if the problem was caused by a short, which was a manufacturing error it would be covered. Hence, the need for root cause determination. Pat