Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
toronto , ontario
gutting vintage airstream

i am an airstream owner who inherited an old 1971 airstream. it has been parked on my woodland property for 7 years. it recently has been vandalized. it also has numerous mice living in it. is there anyone in ontario, canada ( it is parked near huntsville, north of toronto, about a 2 hour drive)who fixes old trailers? maybe takes all the interior out? i have read about Tad Taylor's Healty Homes LLC. They strip trailers entirely and rebuild them. i might also be interested in selling this trailer as is.
jean kosloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Jean -- Welcome to the Forums! Whether restored to original condition or redesigned, you will find that it will cost the larger part of buying a new Airstream. The difference is that you may end up with a vintage article of great enjoyment for years to come. That should be your motivation. It is not likely that you would profit from a restoration and resale.

I would recommend listening to episodes of Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast. One of their contributors, Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles in northern NY (Plattsburgh), builds new frames and more. Do your homework whatever you choose! You might find you'd rather have a different year, length .... many variables, likes & dislikes.

You should plan on posting some photos if this unit was vandalized. That will help you get more accurate input about whether this is worth pursuing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jean, there should be a nameplate to the right of the entry door. There will be a series of numbers stamped in. The format may be something like I25T1JNNNN. We can identify the Airstream you have if you can provide those numbers.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you no matter which way you choose! If you should gut it or part it out, be sure and post the items you remove for sale. Working or not, many times they have just the parts someone needs for their own restoration. One person's junk is another person's treasure!

Good luck! Post pics, it is a good idea to get better feedback!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
vintage is cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hello Jean -- Welcome to the Forums! Whether restored to original condition or redesigned, you will find that it will cost the larger part of buying a new Airstream. The difference is that you may end up with a vintage article of great enjoyment for years to come. That should be your motivation. It is not likely that you would profit from a restoration and resale.
It depends. I have a 71 which was a mouse condo that I got cheap, $500. It turned out that I had all the appliances replaced except the fridge by an RV guy for $3500, $500 for tires, $1000 for upholstery. I put a lot of hours of my own work and could have saved more if I did the appliances myself. It is due for new axles $1000-n $2000. That totals out to about 6-7K still a fraction of new. I agree with the "great enjoyment" part. It's a labor of love. Being naturally cheap also helps my rationalizing. Also had a 73 which I sold for just about what I put into it. If I had the bucks would I buy new? I don't know but I know I'm having fun
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #6

1971 27' Overlander
toronto , ontario
thanks for the replies everyone. this is really a friendly and helpful group. i can understand the love of the airstream and its community. i will take pictures as most of you suggested. thanks a bunch!
jean kosloff is offline   Reply With Quote