Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
1963 30' Sovereign
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Gutting a 1963 Soverign ??

I recently purchased the Soverign and my plan is to gut it. The two vent covers were gone and there's water damage to the cabinets that has resulted in them peeling the outer layer of wood. I haven't found any soft spots on the floor, but I do worry about the insulation.
I'm new here and wonder what I should be saving as opposed to pitching?
I'd rather give things away than pitch them into a landfill.
And I need to know where to get new covers for the vents?
Thanks for your help,
Joe3 in St. Petersburg

Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
There are quite a few trailers that go up for sale that have been gutted by people who then realized that they were in over their heads.

I understand the desire to start with a clean slate. But some advance planning and research will help you decide what you are in a position to replace and what you can repair or adapt. A full "shell on" restoration is a huge project that requires tools, know how, workspace, time and money. The absence of any one of these can scuttle the project and add another shell to the classified ads.

The cabinets are probably the least of your worries in a '63 trailer that has suffered from neglect. If you are not already an accomplished cabinet maker, you'll probably want to keep the damaged cabinets as patterns for the new ones. Keep all the aluminum extrusions. It's amazing how handy they can be down the line.

We're about 2/3 through a gradual replacement of our entire interior. But the first things we investigated and repaired were the safety issues: New axles, rewiring running lights, removal of the leaky furnace, replacement of the dubious toilet and black tank with a composting toilet, sealing around every window. We've been camping in it as we go, so that helps us evaluate what we can live with and what needs to be changed, as well as giving us incentive to keep going.

Inland RV, Vintage Trailer Supply and Out of Doors Mart are good places to start looking for suitable replacement parts. Inland RV has so much in stock that they only put "on sale" items on their website. You'll have to call about any other stuff.

Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
1963 30' Sovereign
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I purchased it to use a storage space for about a year (?) and the thought of gutting it. It's too big a project for me to rebuild, although I do have the woodworking skills, I'm focusing my energy on building a tiny house The Fortune Cookie Vardo | Dreadnaught Darling for fun and just 'cause I can. I didn't want to just pitch stuff out if somebody could use it. It just makes sense to offer it rather fill up a dump.
I agree advance planning and research are key to making a project easier. I'm about 6 months into the Cookie, and I know there's always something that "happens", Murphys Law? Thanks for the answer, I'll follow through on the links for replacement parts. Roof vent covers/ should make it watertight.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote