Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Grrrrrrr!

Checked my 6 month old AS in its storage location, a good place with security gate & cameras. Well it's good if you don't belong there but when another RVer who also stores there does a hit & run damaging property it makes my blood boil. That property was my stainless steel LP cover, a big crease about midway up, and coincidently my adjacent neighbor had vacated his spot at 7:18 this morning. If the cameras don't show anything I'm stuck with at least a $500 expense as that's my deductible.
JC won't sell directly to a customer so the dealer will take a mark up and add to my expense. Does anyone have a thought as the least expensive way to obtain a 30lb tank cover.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Not sure if it would work in your case but I had a similar situation on the lower portion of my cover. I restored the shape as best I could and then riveted aluminum diamond plate in a strip to cover the repair around all three sides. Looks like I just added a layer of protection against road rash.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rats, bad deal. The only thing I can think of is a salvage yard, the covers haven't changed much in years.

I'll just throw this out there. In some cases people have switched to the taller 40 lb capacity aluminum tanks as found on Classic models. If you need a new cover, you may want to consider the taller aluminum tanks and a new cover to fit.

That's what I would do because we travel in fall, spring, and winter and could use the extra propane capacity. I don't know what you're future travel plans are, but if it includes boon docking the extra tank capacity is good.

Makes the dent less painful because you are getting a useful upgrade for your Airstream, if you can manage this change of cover with the insurance company.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
Not sure if it would work in your case but I had a similar situation on the lower portion of my cover. I restored the shape as best I could and then riveted aluminum diamond plate in a strip to cover the repair around all three sides. Looks like I just added a layer of protection against road rash.
Thanks, that's a great idea!
TAC FL-47
Old 01-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rats, bad deal. The only thing I can think of is a salvage yard, the covers haven't changed much in years.

I'll just throw this out there. In some cases people have switched to the taller 40 lb capacity aluminum tanks as found on Classic models. If you need a new cover, you may want to consider the taller aluminum tanks and a new cover to fit.

That's what I would do because we travel in fall, spring, and winter and could use the extra propane capacity. I don't know what you're future travel plans are, but if it includes boon docking the extra tank capacity is good.

Makes the dent less painful because you are getting a useful upgrade for your Airstream, if you can manage this change of cover with the insurance company.

Another great idea, thanx.
TAC FL-47
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What about your insurance? They can contact the storage to get the name and address of that person.

Let us know how much the dealer will charge you. I damaged my propane tank cover when I forgot to pin the pin in my receiver. Luckily only the power jack and propane cover was damaged.

I have yet to find anyone selling 30b propane tank covers. I can't go with the 40b because it may be too tall for my Arvika bike rack to work since it mounts over the propane tanks.

I guess the only bright side is they didn't hit your trailer shell.

Kelvin
Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What about your insurance? They can contact the storage to get the name and address of that person.

Let us know how much the dealer will charge you. I damaged my propane tank cover when I forgot to pin the pin in my receiver. Luckily only the power jack and propane cover was damaged.

I have yet to find anyone selling 30b propane tank covers. I can't go with the 40b because it may be too tall for my Arvika bike rack to work since it mounts over the propane tanks.

I guess the only bright side is they didn't hit your trailer shell.

Kelvin
If we get this guy on film he'll pay. If no film it's a mute issue. Not sure yet but I believe it's a $700 item, I like the above diamond plate idea.
TAC FL-47
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You could always buy one of those plastic propane tanks they put on SOBs and spray paint it silver. Just kidding.

Sorry you are having to go through this. I hope there is video. Are there cameras pointing at your storage stall?

Kelvin
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You should probably make a police report, and take pictures.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You could always buy one of those plastic propane tanks they put on SOBs and spray paint it silver. Just kidding.

Sorry you are having to go through this. I hope there is video. Are there cameras pointing at your storage stall?

Kelvin
Unfortunately no direct cameras, but the possibility of an angle shot exists. He also scraped my tongue Jack so a little of the gray paint is probably on his vehicle, small hope but not holding my breath!
TAC FL-47
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
It's possible your neighbor doesn't know he hit you. We hit a semi-truck with our Airstream and had no idea until a state trooper pulled us over.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I believe that the tank covers are in the Airstream Store at JC - if so, you can order it from JC. When you call JC (937-596-6111) select the extension for service and retail store.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I believe that the tank covers are in the Airstream Store at JC - if so, you can order it from JC. When you call JC (937-596-6111) select the extension for service and retail store.
I called JC earlier & was told NO. Dealer item only. However, I will call the number above tomorrow, thanks!
TAC FL-47
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I called JC earlier & was told NO. Dealer item only. However, I will call the number above tomorrow, thanks!
"Retail Store" is not the same as "Parts", which is available only to dealers. I'm quite certain that I saw tank covers, as well as tanks in the retail store just off to the side of the service waiting area - they were on the top shelf of the back wall.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #15
did
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , California
I feel your pain. The jackass who parks directly across backed into my rockguard. No proof, of course, but the attached ladder on his gigantic motor home lines up perfectly to the dent. Upon confrontation, he denies any culpability (of course). I removed the guard and pounded out the dent with a rubber mallet. My wife thinks it is not noticeable, but guess where my eyes go when I walk up to the front of my AS? Grrrrr indeed.
did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Anyone can have an accident, but not living up to it sucks. Hope you get it figured out.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Sorry to hear this happened Joe. Whether they know they did it or not, is there anything that can be done to avoid having it happen again?

I actually have a boat parked next to where I park our AS in our gated storage area, and I was a little concerned about it at first, but so far I am just being careful to park as far over as I can (no one on the other side), and the boat hasn't been moved in a very long time.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Sorry this happened!

When the neighbor returns his trailer to storage it will be easy to see if he made contact with you if he hit your trailer's tongue.

Be prepared, get the police report! Ask the police to follow up on the neighbor. Should be easy.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You might try checking with some dealers who have replaced covers with much less damage under a full insurance covered incident and have one or more sitting around.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It would still cost money but...

How about buying two Worthington ALUMINUM tanks and polishing them to a high shine, then going NEKKID? 30 lb. aluminum tanks are $180 at vintage trailer supply.

Many restorers do this and the shiny tanks are a positive focal point on their rigs.

Paula