Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Greetings, fellow 'streamers!

OOH, we can say that now. We just purchased and got home our "new" '72 Soverign, in need of major renovation/restoration. We towed "Little Girl" home from Mobile AL. area over this past weekend. We have been RVers for many years, but this is our first Airstream. We are also diehard DIYers and think we have the skill set to do this. We plan on blogging our renovations as we go, which will include total gut job, new axles, moving some windows, quilt studio, and woodworking shop. (Just kidding on the last two, maybe). We're planning on a new layout inside, moving the rear bath to the side, and creating a bedroom in back. T'will be a journey! We've been reading for several months and have picked up lots of tips so far. What a great community!

Kay and Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	she's home 05.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	78704  

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Roblin , MB.
Greetings from Manitoba (Canada) and good to have you on board as a "fellow streamer".
We have a '74 Sovereign (rear bed). You certainly have your work cut out for you and look forward to seeing your progress on the forum.

nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congrats on your new baby!
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Good day and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new Airstream.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Excellent and a hearty welcome from another dedicated DIYer. I intend to get at least 3 of my four Airstreams roadable by the end of the summer. I guess my DIY hormone goes in spurts. I hope you guys have an inside place to work over the winter!

In my experience of trying to document my rennovations, I think making separate threads for each major task is a really good idea. It's nice to keep everything in one thread--all the rest of us can follow that much more easily--but when you want to go back and refer to some particular detail, separate threads work better. From the sounds of things, you're going to have a boatload of posts to talk about all your work. Moving the bath and a window are pretty unique, so I'm sure we'll all be watching for those threads.

BTGW, I took all my vista view windows out of my Airstreams. They leak, look dingy, and allow way too much heat flux. If I need more light, I go outside.

Maybe you could keep track of everything by starting all your threads in a unique way, like some far north (apologies to our Canadian members) nordick term, or even booyah!

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thanks all

Zep, we've been reading your threads, along with others. Don't know exactly what we'll do with the windows yet, except that we want to make the back a bedroom, and move the windows along the sides back there.
No building here in Minnesota but we're building a shelter of sorts for her so we can work on her in shade and keep her somewhat out of the weather until the exterior is weather tight. No winter work for us until we get to the interior. We're figuring 4 - 5 years to get her roadworthy again, although we thankfully made it home with no major problems (lost a little belly skin, and the electrical cord - oh well. Needs replacing anyways). We had to put 2 new tires on her to come home, and seal all the exterior doors because the locks are off. We have the locks so we can get them rekeyed. She has a regular door knob on her right now - that'll change. Interior is partially ripped out - rest will go. She needs a new floor too, and axles, and, and, and.......

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote