Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Someplaceville , Alabama
Gray Water rust repair

Hello I am considering buying an Airstream, but there is what looks to be substantial rust around the gray water port. See attached.

Is this an issue that i should be concerned about and is it something I can plan on just grinding down and prime it for protection?

Please view the image here at google: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxO...mxpMWdWSThiSGM

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithier View Post
Hello I am considering buying an Airstream, but there is what looks to be substantial rust around the gray water port. See attached.

Is this an issue that i should be concerned about and is it something I can plan on just grinding down and prime it for protection?

Please view the image here at google: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxO...mxpMWdWSThiSGM

Thank you very much for any assistance.
Welcome to the Forums!

From the looks of that picture that trailer may have some serious rust issues in the frame. I don't think that can be coated away. What year and version of trailer is it?

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
That looks bad. It looks like it has weakened the rear structure and will need to be re enforced. Who knows what the rest of the frame looks like under the belly pan. Unless you want to buy a lot of work, you may want to let this one go to someone else.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Someplaceville , Alabama
This is a 65 22' Safari. I really was hoping that this was a moderate or semi easy repair, but it doesn't sound like it is.

I appreciate all your help and input. Thank you again.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The question I have about your picture, is are we looking at the main frame rail, or is this an additional piece of metal that was added to support the gray tank? Also, I just noticed that the thread says "Gray water rust repair," but the picture is called "Rust black water tank." Are we looking at a modified trailer with a gray tank, or the original black tank?

Looks to me like it is rusted completely through in at least one place. This is bad, but if it is an additional piece of metal that was added during the gray tank mod, then it may not be very structural. If this is the main frame rail, then worse still is the fact that whoever did this gray water tank install put a big old hole right through the frame rail to run the drain port out to the side. This would be a very bad thing even if it weren't rusty.

No easy fix here. Not only would you need to drop the belly pan so that you can find out where the gray water tank is leaking and causing the rust issue, but you would need to reinforce the rusted area, and probably reinstall the gray water tank mod that the PO put in place.

Then again, it is all a matter of what condition the rest of the trailer is in, and how much they are asking. Just about any 40-50 yr old trailer is going to have rotting floors, rusting frames, mice infestations, and non-working appliances, and dealing twith them is all part of the vintage experience. If the seller is claiming that this trailer is refurbished and has priced it accordingly, you should ask for the documentation that shows what was done (ie., reciepts, pictures, diagrams, blogs, etc.).

Good luck.