Old 06-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #15
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Did you measure the weight at the tip of the pro-pride or from the jack post? Could be a difference of 200lbs +/- .

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I drive a Ford Excursion with a diesel. If that can't haul an Airstream, then I don't know what I'll do short of going to a 3/4 Ton pickup and then getting told I have too much truck.

Measurement was under the jack post on the scale.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I drive a Ford Excursion with a diesel. If that can't haul an Airstream, then I don't know what I'll do short of going to a 3/4 Ton pickup and then getting told I have too much truck.

Measurement was under the jack post on the scale.
Was the propride hanging off the trailer? If so, subtract 200 +/- pounds form 1150. 950 is a lot closer to the Airstream-specified wieght. The "tongue weight" is measured at the trailer coupler with no hitch attached. The "hitch weight" is the load imposed on the TV hitch by the trailer and any additional components, i.e. the WD hitch.

You will get a slightly lower number at the hitch coupler. In addition, the trailer needs to be level. If it is tongue down, that will increase the weight at the hitch.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The weight of the ProPride will be nearly erased by the additional length of the ProPride hitch. As Mojo said and has done, the weight difference between the tongue jack post and the ProPride stinger at the truck receiver position is about 200 lbs on his combination.

You can expect about 950 lbs on the truck receiver before weight distribution and even less added to the truck's weight after. Our 2012 FC 25 (factory hitch weight spec 835 lbs) plus our ProPriode hitch plus our loaded Airstream and truck add 840 lbs to the truck after weight distribution, using the CAT scale weighing the truck alone, then with the Airstream hitched and weight distribution set.

Your diesel Excursion is overkill for pulling and weight carrying of your Airstream. Always load heavy stuff toward the center of the Airstream, light toward the ends, and do not overload the axles of your SUV. Hitch weight with the ProPride hitch is the least of your concerns, watch loading, handling, and braking of the truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
With a good WDH with the right bars, 1140 pounds of tongue weight is inconsequential imho.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Your diesel Excursion is overkill for pulling and weight carrying of your Airstream.
My Excursion is over GVWR with the Airstream hitched per Cat scales and we spent the afternoon dialing it in. We have passengers, bikes and some gear in the truck but have dramatically reduced that.

I always scratch my head when told my truck is overkill and the cat scales say I am way WAY over GVWR.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
My Excursion is over GVWR with the Airstream hitched per Cat scales and we spent the afternoon dialing it in. We have passengers, bikes and some gear in the truck but have dramatically reduced that.

I always scratch my head when told my truck is overkill and the cat scales say I am way WAY over GVWR.
If the Airstream with a ProPride hitch and weight distribution properly set is putting you way over GVWR, the problem is truck loading. We have a similar issue, but loaded still have 800 lbs axle capacity remaining, and the ProPride ensures the axles are nearly loaded equally. We load almost nothing behind the truck's rear axle, that makes the task of the w.d. hitch easier.

We put the bikes on a Airstream Fiamma bike rack, that unloads the hitch weight a bit and no weight in the truck. Also very convenient.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
https://youtu.be/VWCYv40Ur1g

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
The weight of the ProPride will be nearly erased by the additional length of the ProPride hitch. As Mojo said and has done, the weight difference between the tongue jack post and the ProPride stinger at the truck receiver position is about 200 lbs on his combination.

You can expect about 950 lbs on the truck receiver before weight distribution and even less added to the truck's weight after. Our 2012 FC 25 (factory hitch weight spec 835 lbs) plus our ProPriode hitch plus our loaded Airstream and truck add 840 lbs to the truck after weight distribution, using the CAT scale weighing the truck alone, then with the Airstream hitched and weight distribution set.

Your diesel Excursion is overkill for pulling and weight carrying of your Airstream. Always load heavy stuff toward the center of the Airstream, light toward the ends, and do not overload the axles of your SUV. Hitch weight with the ProPride hitch is the least of your concerns, watch loading, handling, and braking of the truck.

It just scares the crap out of me when a high quantity poster advises such balderdash as above.

THE NUMBERS ARE WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!

My 2005 V-10 Excursion is right at the rear axle limit when my 30' Sovereign is on the hitch.

The GAWR of the rear axle is almost always the first to be overloaded - which is why it is so important to individually weigh EACH axle...and believe what the certified scale tickets are telling you...ESPECIALLY if you live North of the 49th parallel.

Do yourself and everyone else on the highways - if your tow vehicle is overloaded, change to an appropriately rated vehicle. If that is a 3/4 ton or a one ton then so be it. Check your weights and equipment to the ratings of the manufacturers, and don't assume ANY general posters who have not pulled with identical setups.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Dennis, I have the same truck as you but with a diesel.

Its hard to believe this truck can't safety tow this trailer. From memory, I believe I am well in the axle rating, but over the GVWR.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Good Grief!!! 1150 lbs of Tongue Weight???

Quote:
If the Airstream with a ProPride hitch and weight distribution properly set is putting you way over GVWR, the problem is truck loading. We have a similar issue, but loaded still have 800 lbs axle capacity remaining, and the ProPride ensures the axles are nearly loaded equally. We load almost nothing behind the truck's rear axle, that makes the task of the w.d. hitch easier.

We put the bikes on a Airstream Fiamma bike rack, that unloads the hitch weight a bit and no weight in the truck. Also very convenient.

The problem with your advice is simply this,you always refer to axle capacity.You seem to be oblivious to the other suspension pieces on a vehicle all of which have capacities or limits.Just because you have not exceeded your axle capacity does not mean that you have not exceeded the vehicles load capacity.There are many more critical suspension components that also have limits that you (and others on this forum)seem to ignore.
This can be a very dangerous situation when towing a 4000-7500 lbs Airstream.
The good ol boy"I've always done it this way " does not mean it's the safe or the smart thing to do.Much less advise others to follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Dennis, I have the same truck as you but with a diesel.

Its hard to believe this truck can't safety tow this trailer. From memory, I believe I am well in the axle rating, but over the GVWR.
Ted, disregard my earlier remarks. I thought your Excursion had more load capacity than our two Ram 1500s, and was trying to help.

My sense was that it does, it can carry the Airstream, but when combined with loading in the truck you are running into overload. Some load adjustments from truck to trailer may be possible, the bicycles for example.

You most probably know it is possible to be within GVWR and still overload a rear axle with the Airstream on the receiver and a heavy load in the back of the truck.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our 30' FC AS with two lounge chairs has about the same hitch weight empty. When loaded she drops down a bit to about 1,000#. I tow with an F350 6.7 Diesel and an Equalizer hitch and don't worry about it. You might try loading her up a bit like you are traveling and rechecking the weight.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
When I took delivery of my new 2016 30'FC, I weighed it empty, except for full propane.
The tongue weight was 1200 lbs. at the screw-jack. (Sherlite)
The weight of the trailer was 3000 KG. 6600 lbs.
Later, on a trip, I weighed the TW at the coupler; 995 lbs. Traveling weight was 7400+ lbs.
Both TW weights were well above the "Official" TW. that Airstream quotes.
Huh!!!!