Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Exclamation Going on a road trip and need help.

So, I'm going 420 miles to look at a 59 22' (flying Cloud - probably). If I take the plung I'm bringing it back. I'm taking tools, lights, floor jack, towing lights and a few misc. things. The guy selling it says that it has 2 spare tires. He bought it 6 months ago and hasn't used it. Before that he has little history. The main thing that worries me (if I buy it) are the bearings. What size was used on this axle? and how do I replace them? Should I start towing with the ones on the AS and check the temps often or just change them out? Also, can anyone think of something I'm forgetting?

Yes, I know that going to buy an Airstream the day before Thanksgiving isn't too bright.

By the way, I'll be coming back really slow and taking lots of breaks. I'm going from San Diego to Modesto CA leaving about 1:00pm. If you live along the way let me know.

Gilbert
2bkidfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
420 miles is a long way to tow at the low speed this might warrant. Can you pack the bearings before you take off? Or has the PO done this? Packing would allow an inspection.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Yes, I can re-pack them before I take off. I'm thinking of just taking new ones with me to do at the pick up. How hard & long do you think the re-pack is on this axle?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'd be more worried about the brakes than the bearings. Not that they work, but that the mechanism doesn't fall apart in a way that jams the drum. I've picked up two trailers that have sat for awhile, 8 years and 25 years. They were both 70's models, so they were a little less risk than a '59. On the other hand, your '59 has been moving lately.

I repacked the bearings on the 25-year immobile Sovereign--took about 3 hours. Avoiding the black widows was a bigger problem than anything mechanical. Then I put on 4 new wheels and tires for the drive home (1,200 miles).

I didn't do anything to the 8-year immobile Safari except put on new wheels and tires. I checked the axle temperatures a couple of times on the 200 mile drive home. No problems.

The brakes failed on an Overlander that had been reasonable well cared for. I was backing up (after several thousand miles of ownership) and noticed in the rear view mirror that one wheel was locked. It rolled fine going forward. Turned out one of the electric brake lever arms had come off its post. On closer inspection, three of the four brakes were in bad shape. It only cost $50 per drum to replace the brake plate. This had two benefits--fixed the problems and upgraded the brakes to the currently available magnet designs. Finding the old magnets is not really possible these days.

You can replace the brake plates in a few hours, say half a day. The biggest problem I had was in getting the pressed-in bolts out of the old plates so I could use them on the new ones. If you can, buy new bolts--it will save you an hour a plate.

Zep
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Just a few..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bkidfree
So, I'm going 420 miles to look at a 59 22' (flying Cloud - probably). If I take the plung I'm bringing it back. I'm taking tools, lights, floor jack, towing lights and a few misc. things. Also, can anyone think of something I'm forgetting?

Gilbert
Hi Gilbert, Congrats on a find..I can't remember anything about the bearing but, I would say this..Take a few cans of spray brake cleaning fluid with you to clean the brake drum area while repacking the bearing.. Are the wheels current?? Any pictures to share? Have a safe trip~!!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Made it there and back.

Well, we made it. My son and I drove 453 miles taking 9 hrs (no breaks) in the day befrore Thanksgiving traffic to see it. We took every tool we had including Air compressor, lights, sockets, floor jack, car stands and misc tools galore. Got there a little after 10:00. It was a 59 22' A/S in good shape that had sat a long time and the interior was pretty rough. The exterior was very straight. Bought it and hooked up the temporary lights. Headed straight back to San Diego.

For the first 50 miles we stoped every 5 miles to check the bearings, tires and misc stuff. After that it moved to 10, 15, 20 then 30 miles. We stopped every 30 miles to check stuff until we got home.

I can honestly say that we were the only vehicle going 55 max on the freeways that day. We made it home at 11:00 am the next day. All told it was 20 hrs of driving in 22 hrs.

I think having every tool I owned with me kept things from happening.

Thanks for all the help.

Gilbert

P.S. It was located on a farm in the middle of nowhere the made me think of deliverence. The guy said I would find him because he would leave his truck lights on and they would be the brightest things and he wasn't kidding.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good for you Gilbert. And that's hilarious about the truck lights.

So, pictures, pictures, pictures.

I find that typically, when I am picking up a car or trailer, the amount of trouble I have is directly related the the quantity and type of tools I happen to have on board. If I've left it at home, that's the thing that will break.

Oh, did I mention pictures? What a great way to celebrate Thanks Giving.

So, is it a Flying Cloud?

Barry
Old 11-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Pictures and Model Number

Here are some pictures we took as soon as there was enough light. I'm also including the model number tag. I think it is a 59 22' Flying Cloud. If anyone can help me figure it out that would be great.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model Tag 001.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	49778   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st day bk.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	49780  

Name:	1st day lt.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	49781   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st day rt.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	49782  

Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice find. I say it is a California 59 FC with double bed layout. The serial number matches the matrix for that year and the plate says California only. The date of manufacture is also stamped on the lower right of the plate, May of 59 in your case.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Christmas came a month early!! Good story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bkidfree
It was a 59 22' A/S in good shape that had sat a long time and the interior was pretty rough. The exterior was very straight.
The fellows on theVAP.com always say the coaches in the drier southwest have more core soundness than from anywhere else in the country. Hope the floors are good for you -- but there are ways to deal with that. The exterior looks in good shape and the process ahead of you will be worth it. Thanks for the pictures. Stick around now, ya hear?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Hey 2bkidfree

What a great looking trailer (not that I am biased in any way). Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Looking forward to updates on how you are doing with the revival. It can be fun, it can get out of hand at times, and it sure is rewarding when it's usable, even if it's not complete yet.

Barry
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Interior photos?

Waiting patiently for some interior shots. I'd love to come up to see it in person next time I'm in San Diego. Congrats on a hazard free tow! Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
great find and congratulations!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Come visit, there's lots of work.

Everyone is welcome to come and visit. There's lots of work to be done. I'll post pictures of the interior when I can. I don't know what they did to the bathroom, I just know it's wrong.

If anyone has pictures of what the bathroom should look like send them to me. This one is missing the sink and they messed up the floor and belly skin when they replaced the toilet. The shower pan is stainless steel and I wasn't sure if that's right.

Thanks

Gilbert
Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here are a few pictures:

59FC

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi gilbert,

it sounds like you're hunkering down for some good ol' fun. i'm in the slow slow slow super slow process of restoring my '56 flying cloud, here's the link; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411...oud-27533.html

grab a cup of joe and peruse these links. you'll get a ton of info;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Interior Shots

Here are some interior shots (for Rob). You'll notice the quality floor tiles used on the refridgerator and the lovely wallpaper used everywhere. I am also including a picture of the roof. The two vent covers above the door don't look original, but they look okay.

You will also notice the bathroom which probably wasn't used in a long time.

Next step. Check the running gear and brakes. Get new (non split rim) tires and wheels.

BTW. Rob, I was listening to some old Podcasts and maybe Tim should have taken your advice about bringing every tool to pick up his trailer. I did and I think it was good luck. I also think that letting the bearings worm up little by little did a lot to keep them going.

Gilbert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front to back.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	49908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	49909  

Name:	Ext top.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	49910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left wheel well.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	49911  

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	49912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back to Front.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	49913  

Name:	Right wheel well.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	49914  
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Gilbert

Very creative use of floor tiles. Good thing they didn't get sill with them on walls, ceiling, and even heaven forbid - the floor. Overall you got yourselves a really neat trailer. It looks like it needs a very good cleaning, some new flooring, blinds or curtains, and personal customizations and you are set. I'm sure you are aware that you need to do a very good check on the quality of the wiring and propane line work that's been done in the past. You don't want surprises/unhappy occurences.

It will be fun to watch your progress.

Barry
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Looking good.

Your woodwork looks good. I agree, those roof top vents don't look original, but if they are functional, and don't leak, then leave that for later... Nice blue rug... yup - the good old wet bath.... tight squeeze. Nice looking trailer. Next time I'm out in San Diego, I'm coming on over on my way to Fry's in San Marcos.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Looks good. I would suggest that you change the whole axle out. For a few hundred dollars you will have piece of mind. I changed both of mine on my 59. There is an issue of sudden axle failure due to cracks. A trailer place should be able to just pop a new full setup axel in for you. Unless you don't plan on traveling with it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote