Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Naples , Florida
Glossary of Parts Names?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are newbies who recently bought a 29' 1971 Ambassador before we really knew what we were in for. I've learned enough here now and from looking at the trailer to know that we are in for much more work than we realized (sagging rear end, floor rot, rusty frame aft, for starters).

So I'm going to have lots of questions to ask because we are going to need help! We are not in for a full resto, we don't have the resources and forward of the bathroom seems solid, but we want to fix what we must and get going again.

One very helpful place to start would be with a glossary of parts names so I can ask the right questions using the right terminology. As it is, I hardly know my C channels from my banana panels and what do you call all the different rivets?

Does anyone know of a glossary or even a parts list or similar?

Any recommended threads on rear sag/bathroom floor replacement?

We live in Naples, FL. Are there any forum members local who can take a look and advise?

Any other words to the (un)wise?

I'll be doing most of the posting, my girlfriend may post but will mostly be lurking. Thanks for any help!

Gene

Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Use the "Force" Luke!

Gene, Welcome to the Forums! First thing is to get busy with your research tools. The most valuable resource here is the blue tool bar above and the search function tab. Use key words like: Floor rot, Rear end separation, Frame repair and you will get many posts to read for each search word set. Also use the gray Forums tab above and click on trailers and scroll down to your model and year for specific to your trailer threads and posts. Loads of great info here and lots of folks to help answer any questions you run into. As for Parts lists, Owners or Service manuals you may be able to buy some for your year/model from the Airstream store on Airstream.com. There is also a resource that sells copies online look for the info on them at another useful website VintageAirstreams.com. Hope this helps, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Naples , Florida
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I've already spent some time poking around the blue toolbar threads, there is a lot there to research, like you said.

The grey toolbar was a good bit of advice; I hadn't spent much time there but I will start now.

I'll look for parts lists elsewhere too, thanks for the suggested sources.

I think we are in for a long haul...

Thanks,

Gene
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Gene, Just take your time and use the trailer!!!! Even if it is just as a shell used as an aluminum tent. Make memories as you go and work on it on the off season whenever possible. I know you'll enjoy your new Airstream and it will grow on you over time. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote