Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Any recommendations for AS qualified RV repair shop on North Side of Houston Tx?

PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
I have a 2014 25 flying cloud twin. I purchased it in the Austin TX area and tried taking it to Houston for service repairs and was told it would take 4 months to work me in to make two recall issues. So back to Austin I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp

silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
I have a 2014 25 flying cloud twin. I purchased it in the Austin TX area and tried taking it to Houston for service repairs and was told it would take 4 months to work me in to make two recall issues. So back to Austin I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp

If you don't mind me asking, what were the two recall issues that were going to take four months to work you in for?

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Really? I thought Martin was having his Argosy MH work done there this year? I guess it wouldn't surprise me. When we bought there in 2012, there must have been 30 on the lot. Each year since they've been below 10 and then 5. They seemed more dedicated to the used Fords they were selling. I had warranty work done there (for convenience) and at the factory (geeked out to see the place and also have some custom work done).

To the OP's question...

I've had non-warranty work done at Colonial - knowing what I know now - I wish I hadn't feared the "long" drive to Colonial and just purchased there from the beginning. They really know their stuff. I did set the appointment in advance (not an emergency situation) but was treated like royalty even though I didn't buy it there.

I think a dealer's service department could be their best sales tool. If I'm ever going to buy another, there is no question I'm going to buy from Colonial. If anyone asks me where to buy one, I'm recommending Colonial. Highly recommend them for service too though you HAVE to make a pilgrimage at least once to the Mothership for service 😄

Also note that many of the systems/appliances are standard RV fare that your local RV service department can handle.
We have two local RV Mobile mechanics - neither of which sell RV's - and both can work on all of the common systems shared by most RV's. Don't believe I'd have bodywork done anywhere but JC or Colonial.

Have to agree with you about Colonial - I was snoozing in the EB when the A/C gave out - the night before signing the paperwork to buy it. When the sales office opened the next morning I was ready to write the check, then head back to Virginia Beach and pick up the Airstream with a new A/C the next weekend. OH NO, said Patrick - we're pulling an A/C off of something new sitting on the lot - you're going home tonight with your Air Conditioned Airstream.

Later I had a problem with my furnace not working - we'd never tested it when I bought the unit - and I was in Ohio so I went to the mothership - where they found NO control board in the furnace. I told Patrick B. about that because as far as I knew it had been missing when I bought it. He offered to pay for the new control board if I sent him the bill, (but since it might have been stolen from my home campground) I decided not to be a witch. Ditto on a water pump, was replaced by a local mobile mechanic within the remaining year on my original warranty... Colonal offered to pay for the part but heck I rebuilt it to have as a spare - (simple even for a left handed klutz.)

PS; One good reason to join WBCCI - many of them have spring maintenance rallies - and I always like to watch someone else fix a problem before I try to do it myself, especially if it is propane or electrical. I was always handy and mechanically inclined, and even though I'm getting older it's not all that hard to do a lot of things myself. Now - Maxim skylight - eeeh NO. I have to remember that falling and breaking a hip does loom over my indefinite future so maybe new curtains IS more my speed.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
The mothership

We have family in the Indiana area, and relatives once removed, if that's the proper term, that actually live in Jackson Center, so that's another good reason for us to take our AS to the mothership if we are in need of service work.

I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten from this question so far - very helpful. We are both anxious and excited to pick up our AS next week, and we look forward to what we hope will be many memorable trips, and very few problems or issues that require extended service attention.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Years ago when I bought my long gone Interstate at Sanders the generator quit. They took one out of another unit to get me on the road.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX just northwest of DFW is both a restorer/repair facility and authorized to do Airstream Warranty work.

A&P Vintage Trailer Works | Repair Restore Update Vintage Trailers by A&P Vintage Trailer Works

They have done repairs, cabinet work, custom flooring, custom solar installations, major electrical upgrades and cabinet work on our two Airstreams. They also did a a disc brake conversion on the Classic and converted it to the new See Level tank monitoring system.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I would absolutely stay away from Safford RV, Thornburg, Virginia. I bought my 2014 Interstate from them and their service group continues to be pathetic. I have a complete DC electrical failure, winter is coming, tanks are semi full, and the earliest they can have me "drop it off" (which is code for look at it the following two weeks). I have had multiple issues with this company. Their technicians are poorly trained. Another place to stay away from is Vogt RV in Dallas. They just plain don't like to do service. My experience is that it doesn't matter where you buy your Airstream, just get the best price and hope you can fix most of your issues yourself. I made an appointment at Jackson Center, and hopeful they know what they are doing.

K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote