Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Gas Selector Knob Dometic Fridge (vintage)

Ok...so pulled the cover off and went into the Airstream today and was reminded I need to sort out the fridge dilemma.

Essentially when I bought the AS ('77 LandYacht) I opened the fridge to have a look and noticed there was a selector knob to switch from Gas to Electric- so I pulled it to attempt to test LP functionality but when I did the entire knob assembly and rod came out...yikes. Not sure if I did that or if it was there beforehand. So I will need to sort out before we take the AS on our maiden voyage (which may be a Grateful Dead aka Dead and Co. concert) in June.

Just figured out how to add an image..sorry it's skewed. If this looks like something you've encountered before, I'd really appreciate some guidance in reattaching this rod so I can get the LP aspect of the fridge operational.

Thanks so much
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	257084  
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
I guess I stumped everyone with this one.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Just speaking mechanically, have you tried just reinserting the rod? It looks like a small gear on the end, I would think you could just put it back in. I think you should call Dometic and see what they have to say about it.

So were is the setting now, on gas or electric? I would assume at a concert you'd be boon docking so getting stuck on gas is going to be good.
If it's stuck on electric I think you could go to Harbor Freight and get a small generator to supply the AC.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks Rich... Last time I tried I couldn't feel anything engaging on the other end of the rod, but maybe with some more fishing it could pop into place. I don't expect much boon docking for us right now, so the LP option is a must.

I found a similar thread and posted to someone who was experiencing same issues so I'm hoping they will have some advice.

Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Not know anything about the fridge makes it difficult. I said call Dometic but that was assuming Dometic is the manufacturer.

The control to the right looks similar. When you insert the rod again, is it the same length sticking out? Is the one that out stripped on the end or are there gears on it?

The instructions say to 'push' when lighting and the other side says to pull when lighting. When you insert the rod, can you just push? What's the difference or maybe, how does this actually switch from AC to LP?

On a guess I'd say the rods run under the fridge to possibly a circuit board or other control in the back. Is there access to the back of the fridge?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Dometec Refridgerator

If you have any of these models, RM 36/46/66/76/77/100, I am attaching the IPC of the inner workings of the refridgerator, hope this helps, this is what I have in my 1978 AVION 28J.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Dometic Fridge

I don't know if my attachments went through, if not let me know and I can email them to you.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks Ralph12...I can't check the model yet. I know it says made in Sweden and royal Dometic on front. As soon as soon as the snow subsides and temps improve ill head out to AS.

I don't see the attachments...if possible could you PM them to me or email at mike(d0t]house/at/rocketmail/dotc0m/

Much appreciated!
Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
That's the same Dometic, but the Euro Div. & both are still around today. You may be able to get a reprint/xerox or pdf service manual from them on it, once you get the model & serial nos.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/ < I think you can get their Canada unit from here

You'll probably have to pull it out anyway to fix that selector knob/rod & check the ammonia/Freon charge, 110v & LP connections & operations anyway, & you've got a few months to do it.

If the fridge is shot, then you can get the modern equivalent many places near you, then paint the face panel to match the OE fridge. When the PO of our 60 Avion T20 did the resto & the fridge was shot, they got a modern Norcold - so the swaps are common in vintage trailers.

We also have a tiny Dometic in our `88 VW Westfalia camper van, with a similar selector for LP/110v/12v (house battery), a piezo push button to light the LP burner, etc. dials along the top (all in gray/brown plastic - not chrome like yours), but I'd have to pull our fridge out in order to see how the selector fits (sorry).

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Check the back of the refrigerator from the outside access panel. The control it connects to may be on the back of the fridge where the gas line is located and it might be possible to see how it connects or work the control from the back.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
I believe the LP functionality is still there, as per last owner and when I looked at unit, but I will pull it out in a few weeks and try to reattach that rod. Thanks for the links Tom_T!

My to do list on this guy has grown since I first brought it home...but it's still essentially camp ready and I can't understate how much I need to park this thing in the woods somewhere and sit in its shadow reading and possibly drinking a few brown sodas now that our winter has finally arrived.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post

My to do list on this guy has grown since I first brought it home...
LOL

Take it from me, your "To Do List" will always be there & may grow or shrink as you get things done with vintage trailers (& new too).

I told my wife to find an already restored AS/Vintage Kin for "her trailer" so as to not add to my already long list of projects, & even so, there were & are still things to be done on it! If not wear-n-tear/age/used-up things, it's stuff that you add yourself to the "wouldn't it be nice to have...." list!

BTW - looking in the outside access door is a good idea before you pull the fridge out, but the connection to the LP control in the back may still be inaccessible - but still try that first.

Thanx rvb - I should've said so myself!

Good Luck!
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote