Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Furnace won't start in 2018 27FB FC

We purchased a 2018 27FB Flying Cloud in May and I cannot get the furnace to start.
Thermostat set to furn.
Propane on.
Water heater and stove work.
Thermostat has been reset(mode+zone=init)
No fan, spark, or ignition.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Ron
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Are you referring to the furnace exhaust fan not coming on? That needs to be on in order for the furnace to ignite.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Furnace won't start in 2018 27FB FC

Pesky issue. Have you reset the clock and reprogrammed the thermostat for start times?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
We purchased a 2018 27FB Flying Cloud in May and I cannot get the furnace to start.
Thermostat set to furn.
Propane on.
Water heater and stove work.
Thermostat has been reset(mode+zone=init)
No fan, spark, or ignition.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Ron
Hi Ron Glow,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I know this sounds simplistic, but is the temp on the thermostat set higher than the temp in the trailer. The beauty of a newer trailer is it is covered under warranty. I would simply take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
I had the same problem last year with my 2017 27' FB FC. Furnace was working fine for about 8 months and then failed to start. Brought it in for warranty repair. Was told the root cause was one of the furnace connector was not completely engaged.

Open the furnace cover and check each of the cable connectors to make sure they are completely engaged (not just visually but apply pressure to both the male and female connectors). Do make sure the furnace is turn off before opening the furnace cover.
Journey'81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Same answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey'81 View Post
I had the same problem last year with my 2017 27' FB FC. Furnace was working fine for about 8 months and then failed to start. Brought it in for warranty repair. Was told the root cause was one of the furnace connector was not completely engaged.

Open the furnace cover and check each of the cable connectors to make sure they are completely engaged (not just visually but apply pressure to both the male and female connectors). Do make sure the furnace is turn off before opening the furnace cover.

We had the same problem awhile back. Something had juggled loose during a trip. Once we made sure everything was connected, it worked fine.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
Not a direct response to this problem, but vibration does strange things to vehicles with lots of non-vehicle features.

I ran complex mobile satellite uplink trucks for many years—think huge RV loaded with electronics not designed for mobile use.

Equipment failures were common, especially when powering up the unit after a long trip.

I would guess that 80-90 percent of the problems in this case were caused by connectors of all kinds that had jiggled loose in transit.

When my airstream was new, the refrigerator would not operate. A close inspection revealed that the electrical plug jiggled loose and was on the floor of the fridge conpartment.

When components fail, check your connections first.
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Does the fan operate? If not proceed as indicated below.

Within the furnace area is a reset switch. Cycle a few times firmly, and reseat all connectors. The fan is the first indicator that the furnace will or will not function. If the fan works the next thing to check would be the sail switch and 12 v supply to the furnace.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Still no luck getting furnace to start

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I have tried flipping reset switch and checked connections I could see/reach. Played with thermostat every way I know of. I have confirmed battery voltage >13v and fuse looks good. Also have flipped all breakers. Nothing happens at all after thermostat is set to zone 2 furn. Blower never starts. I am ready for some more advice. Thank you.
Ron
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Anyone with control board problems?

Jon Puckett
Owner Relations Representative
Airstream, Inc.

Contacted me and suggested it sounded like the control board may have failed on the furnace. I may be referred to a local repair facility to get it sorted out. Anyone have this experience?

Ron
Old 10-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Airstream has great warranty coverage

A qualified local RV service center should be able to resolve your problem. Check reviews and get pre-approval from Airstream and you should be on your way to a toasty Airstream. Good luck and keep the rubber on the road. Let us know the resolution.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We had a similar problem. Open the furnace door outside and look for the circuit board. The blinking lights on the board can tell you whats wrong to some degree. I had 3 flashes and the board was bad.

Fault LED Indication
Internal Circuit Board fault - Steady on, no flashing
Limit switch/Airflow problems - 1 flash with 3-second pause
Flame Sense fault - 2 flashes with 3-second pause
Ignition Lockout Fault - 3 flashes with 3-second paus
Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Our brand new GT 27 we picked up Oct. 4th the furnace did not work. The fan would start and the heater would not engage. Went back to the dealer (Can Am) and it was the board. They noticed the problem in the PDI and thought it was air in the lines. I could get it to start after about 3-4 times trying to fire it up so I guess they assumed air was the issue. They had the same experience and it fired up and they thought all the air was gone, therefore problem fixed.

Once they changed the board which took them 10 minutes or so it has been working perfectly. Which is a good thing as we just arrive in Thunder Bay Ontario and it is a tad cold.

They said they often get board issues with the furnace's and the water heaters. With the water heater you will know within the first few times you try to use it. It works a few times and then quits. Change the board and it is fine as per.

That is my experience thus far and the heater is pumping out as we speak which we are very pleased. Killer long day from Sudbury to Thunder Bay. Heat is a good thing. I hope you get is sorted soon. It was a quick fix and any competent RV place can fix it as all trailers basically use the same appliances.

I drove back to our dealer though as I wanted their hands on our new
Airstream.

Hope that helps.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robere View Post
A qualified local RV service center should be able to resolve your problem. Check reviews and get pre-approval from Airstream and you should be on your way to a toasty Airstream. Good luck and keep the rubber on the road. Let us know the resolution.
This is what I was told as we were hitting the road for a long trip. Slightly different but the same thing. Can Am said give us a call as they know many dealers all over and they can set us up basically anywhere.

It is good to know you are covered as Robere states.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #16
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Happy Camper, USA
Furnace

I have a new 2019 28 RB twin FC and recently camped in Maine where the temps dropped to the low 30’s. My thermostat automatically kick the furnace on. I did not change the setting. I know it sounds simplistic, but maybe leaving the thermostat on auto - it will kick in on its own?
yellowcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Freeze protection. Most modern thermostats have a default that cuts heat on under 40 degrees F to prevent house/RV from freezing unattended
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
[QUOTE][They said they often get board issues with the furnace's and the water heaters./QUOTE]

As has been suggested - if AS swapped these boards to Dinasaur brand in the factory, or applied a bit of pressure on Attwood to fix their crappy design, surely everyone would benefit
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Huntington Beach , California
Is the TV on?

The sensor for Zone 2 is behind the TV. If the TV is on it will not call for heat. We sometime have turn the heat to 80 to get it to turn on.

Not a great location in my opinion.
Donamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Heat is working!

Well after a few hours of my own troubleshooting I decided to get some help. Airstream directed me to a couple of local dealers who are authorized service centers for Atwood. The first dealer, Evans RV in Petersburg, IN, responded in a negative way upon hearing we had an Airstream. The girl on the phone said "we don't do warranty work on Airstreams" in a nasty tone. My wife then called Monroe City RV in Monroe City, IN with positive results. Rob, the owner said "sure we will work on it". I took it in this morning as soon as they opened. The technician opened the door for me and invited me in. I explained the issue and the work I had done so far. He jumped right on it and after a few minutes Rob came out and took over. He found the problem to be a poor connection on the main coupler under the couch access door. I was looking at the outside access all along and did not consider looking there. 30 minutes and I was on my way. I would highly recommend Monroe City RV if you are in southern Indiana and need some help. Super nice people.