Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Furnace will not shut off automatically.

Inside temp on the CCC 2 said that the inside temp was 32 degrees F. Out side temp was 54 degrees F. This was last night some where in West Virginia. Thermostat set at 68 degrees F. The furnace started and ran and ran and ran. Soon it was just like the sauna in Fort Lauderdale, about 90 degrees F inside. I shut off the furnace manually. Inside temp still showed that it was 32 degrees F. So this now does not seem to be related to the freeze sensor. Perhaps it is time for a new thermostat? Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
On the Lake , Georgia
Jim
You are more than likely correct in getting a new thermostat but you might want to check you tube and see if they have anything on your brand.
Maybe a loose wire or tap with a hammer?
Happy New Year!
Joe
Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Today, the thermostat registered 33 degrees on the inside and 33 degrees f on the outside and performed as it should with the furnace starting and shutting down correctly. It seems to have reset itself overnight. The Airstream warmed up quickly and the furnace cycled properly. I hope the new thermostat, once installed, will do away with this inconsistent operational issue. Jim

Old 01-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Levelland , Texas
I have the same exact problem it is not the thermostat it is the board on the air conditioner.I have had it worked on twice. Wish I did not have a Dometic.
Troy Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
A common thermostat is a two wire switch. To test these you can remove the front off the thermostat, then by shorting the two wires the heater should start, and it turns off when the two wires are open.

good luck,
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
A common thermostat is a two wire switch. To test these you can remove the front off the thermostat, then by shorting the two wires the heater should start, and it turns off when the two wires are open.

good luck,
These are Dometic's digital Comfort Control Center II units (CCC-II), which are proprietary to Dometic and operate the A/C and or heat pump along with the furnace.

Jim,
Have you tried re-setting the CCC-II?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Furnace will not shut off automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
These are Dometic's digital Comfort Control Center II units (CCC-II), which are proprietary to Dometic and operate the A/C and or heat pump along with the furnace.

Jim,

Have you tried re-setting the CCC-II?
Yes, Lew, I have. The fact that it works periodically makes it quite confusing. The re-set had no effect. I did shut all power off over night and it operated normally the following day. Jim

Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Tyson View Post
I have the same exact problem it is not the thermostat it is the board on the air conditioner.I have had it worked on twice. Wish I did not have a Dometic.

Sorry to hear that Troy. I do have a great dealer so I may end up there for a repair before I head out on my next trip. Jim

Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Sorry to hear that Troy. I do have a great dealer so I may end up there for a repair before I head out on my next trip. Jim

Before having the board checked, remove the air box below the A?C unit on your ceiling. You will find an RJ-45 phone plug union there. Remove both plugs (one should be black and the other grey) and use a hair dryer on the plugs and the union.

I have seen moisture in these and they are cheap Chinese components that have had many issues. You might be experiencing intermittent communication problems and this might help.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Before having the board checked, remove the air box below the A?C unit on your ceiling. You will find an RJ-45 phone plug union there. Remove both plugs (one should be black and the other grey) and use a hair dryer on the plugs and the union.

I have seen moisture in these and they are cheap Chinese components that have had many issues. You might be experiencing intermittent communication problems and this might help.

I have one grey plug that is connected the other I think is a spare for an additional AC unit. That drying out process is my usual first step when the AC compressor will not start. Are you saying that it may also have an impact on the furnace operation by having the CCC2 default to a 32degree F setting for inside temperature? Jim

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Doesn't hurt to try it. The default setting might be due to a comm. error. leave no stone unturned!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
True. I was looking for an excuse to visit the Airstream today although taking off the air box is getting a little old. I think I will spray that connector with a little ignition wire spray that I used on my old Morris. I wonder if the design was copied from something that Lucas built? Jim

Old 01-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
True. I was looking for an excuse to visit the Airstream today although taking off the air box is getting a little old. I think I will spray that connector with a little ignition wire spray that I used on my old Morris. I wonder if the design was copied from something that Lucas built? Jim

Ahhhhh………Lukas….'Lord of Darkness' !!!!! I remember it well.

Either that, dielectric grease or a marine product called 'Corrosion Block' that I use almost by the case. Anything in that realm should help with reducing the potential of moisture in those connections.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thanks for the memory jog Lew. Going to get some now. Jim

Old 01-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You know why Brits drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators! Groan.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Groan, but with a big smile. Jim
Old 01-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The thermostat and furnace are operating properly today. I took off the air box and sprayed the connector with some Gunk that smelled like WD40. I am now ready for Florida humidity and Ontario winter and will have a spare CCC2 stashed away with an assortment of other spares. Feel like a sailor. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1451845522.692568.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	255024