Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia
Frozen water regulator and hose

I am passing through and set up in northern California on the way to warm weather. It got to about 25F this morning and my water hose is frozen. Attached is a picture from another thread showing the water regulator. Do these regulators get damaged when they freeze?
I will have to watch now for leaks but we have the furnace on so hopefully no damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelectImage_2017-12-17-06-09-22.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	301014  
Roxy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I use a water regulator on the spigot too.
Mine has frozen solid and there's no damage.
Since your regulator was in the wall, I doubt it even froze, but I'd thaw it out and try using it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Ditto on mollysdad. I doubt the regulator was affected at all. Do use this as a teaching moment. If Temps are going to drop below freezing we unhook the city water and rely on the freshwater tank for our water needs. Some campgrounds provide heated spigots, but those are to protect their assets not yours. Even with the heated spigot your connection hose will freeze.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I use a water regulator on the spigot too.
Mine has frozen solid and there's no damage.
Since your regulator was in the wall, I doubt it even froze, but I'd thaw it out and try using it.
Agree; you should be fine. Turn on the water and check it out...your heater running should have kept it above freezing...just the outside hose and connection would be affected typically. With your pump on, check out your toilet flushing, your shower and sink also...listen for water running when the pump is on, but no faucets are on as a safety check. My 25' froze up last year and that is how I found out I had leaks; not from the outside city hook up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Ditto on mollysdad. I doubt the regulator was affected at all. Do use this as a teaching moment. If Temps are going to drop below freezing we unhook the city water and rely on the freshwater tank for our water needs. Some campgrounds provide heated spigots, but those are to protect their assets not yours. Even with the heated spigot your connection hose will freeze.
Yes...fill your fresh tank and put your hoses inside when you are expecting freezing weather.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
Yes! Mine froze last winter in Bend (did not know it) and then it leaked causing lots of damage in the trailer.

I would definitely test and check it carefully! We no longer leave the water hose hooked up if the temperature goes below 32 degrees.
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Because the Frozen water in the hose will transmit into the AS wall, don't leave connected in cold weather. Same goes for your house outside faucet!
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I would suggest you turn on the pump and test all faucts. If all are flowing, close them but leave the pump on. After it pressures up, pay attention to how soon, if at all it, cycles again. If it cycles soon or constantly, look and listen for water flowing/hissing.

In the future open some cabinets such as under the kit/bath to help the furnace warmth circulate.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Two things come to mind to minimize damage from freezing. If you are hooked up to sewer just drip the furtherest faucet (hot and cold) from the city inlet. Usually, the kitchen faucet. Nothing will freeze and very little water will be wasted. It you don't have time to winterize fully: disconnect the city hose and both water pump connections, pump out the pressure side of the pump, then open all valves, block open the toilet, and clamp the flex hoes sprayers open. This will give the expanding ice a place to move with out breaking a fitting or bursting a pipe. PEX will not be damaged either way. The next thing, if you have air pressure available, just blow all the lines. Presto, you are winterized.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Cedar Park , Texas
followup question

We are getting ready to go full-time. We do not plan to spend much time in cold weather but there may be times where it comes up unexpectedly. If I am understanding the responses correctly, all we need to do is unhook the hose when the weather is expected to go below 32 degrees. Is that correct? We can still use the water in our tank? And we don't need a heated hose in these circumstances? Appreciate any responses since the heated hoses can be quite pricy.
edlong56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Edlong,
Pretty much as you said. If the outside temp forecast is anywhere near freezing we've already stowed the water hose and the sewer hose, and drained the water filter too. We enjoy using a catalytic heater to keep us warm with radiant heat but we make sure the furnace is running periodically if temperatures go below freezing outside. The radiant heater does very little to keep plumbing from freezing but the furnace in our Airstream ducts air to the below-floor water tanks and also warms the cabinets where plumbing pipes are.

We spent a 24 degree night last Friday without incident. Not our first time, we've enjoyed temps down to 11 degrees and a 9-day dry-camping run with nightly lows to 19 degrees. No problems!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We recently camped at wallowa lake. Nearby Joseph reported 26deg. The lake at the end of a box canyon was likely lower 20's.

We disc all ext hose conections and drained them. We opened kit and lav cabinet doors and turned on the fw & bw/gw tank heaters and set the furnace(propane) and called good. It was a test as the last time in the low 20's was Yreka, i opted to winterize on the road.I

A was fine. I suspect allowing air circulation is key.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a lot of different "it's getting cold" situations. One is "it's 20 at night and in the 40's during the day". Another is "it's 20 at night and never gets above freezing for a week". The second one is a lot more trouble than the first one.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote