Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Front ceiling vent that cranks open

I've been going through the trailer and doing cleaning and organizing. I got to the ceiling vent that cranks open. I asked hubby to look at it and replace whatever is framing it, the foam or whatever. Then I thought, the crank doesn't work well and the vent just looks old. May as well replace it. It that a standard replacement in the RV world? Or are there bestest recommendations?
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Fantastic vents....that's what we went with. We got ours from Vintage Trailer Supply. But our old vents in my '57 were oblong. A patch had to be made on the roof to get the square vent shape. We love ours, they run off the battery.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Fantastic Fans are... well, Fantastic and all, but also consider the Maxxfan Deluxe that allows you to leave the vent open when it's raining because of the shape of it. Note that it extends aft a bit from the vent opening, so if your vent is very close to an AC unit or something the Maxxfan Deluxe may not fit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Vent

Ours is just a vent, no fan. Or is it called something else? Ceiling screen thingy? That cranks open?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
Ours is just a vent, no fan. Or is it called something else? Ceiling screen thingy? That cranks open?
We're talking about the same thing. We're all recommending that you upgrade from the passive vent to a fan-driven one. All you need is 12v power, which is probably available close to the vent location.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Vent replacement and power

My hubby I am sure that he would like that idea!!!! Not!!!! He threw in the towel on the furnace and we invited a friend over to help.
So once you take out the original vent, we should see some wiring I assume?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My argosy has the crank up metal vents with I'm assuming an original 12 volt fan, it's the same fan and motor as my range vent. My crank ups are still smooth and the fan runs like a dream other than a little loud. I do clean and lubricate the crank mechanisms once a year. Have wondered if anyone has tried adapting the fantastic fan into the original crank up housing.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Quote:
My hubby I am sure that he would like that idea!!!! Not!!!! He threw in the towel on the furnace and we invited a friend over to help.
So once you take out the original vent, we should see some wiring I assume?
Your old vent is most likely a Ventline vent. You can get a new replacement dome, the part up on the roof.

If you decide to upgrade to a fan/power vent it will have a much improved function. It takes a larger roof opening (make it 14" x 14"), requires some additional framing around the perimeter of the new opening, and it requires a power source (usually a nearby light fixture).

I did this a few months ago, and it only took me a few hours. The increase ventilation and the additional natural daylight is great!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My 1995 Excella has a front vent that cranks up. The dome lifts straight up so you can open it in the rain. It has a fan that comes on when you open the vent. The inside cover houses lights wired to a wall switch. I would have thought the OP's 1997 would be similar.

I put a new dome on last year.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
crank open vent fan

we had the crank open vent with a florescent light in it, that switched from the wall in the bd rm, it was inconvenient because you had to stand in the bed to open. I replaced it with a fantastic fan and modified its wiring so we could turn it on and off from the light switch for the old vent. now im trying to find some puck led lights to mount on the walls as the only light is the over bed.

the front fan is identical, you will have to do some triming to enlarge the opening. you have wiring available from the old fan. mine has a light in it but i have enough light that it wouldn't be missed. you may also have to cut the plastic trim on the new fan also.

good luck
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
We put the remote control fantastic fans in all 3 openings in our 1972 overlander and we love them . We can be setting on the couch and open any vent with out getting up ,just a push of the remote it opens or closes and the fan has 16 variable speeds - I'm sold on them and I only want the best for my custom fitted airstream
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
This is a link to a thread that shows some good information, as well as before and after photos.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ng-143392.html
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If it's just a crank up vent, it's easy to work on.

Parts are easily available. The crank is also available if yours just broke off. I replaced my translucent domes in my MH with smoked ones when one blew off on I-70. (It was closed so I guess the sun just killed it.)
Easy to replace, just disconnect the mechanism, and fold one of the roof tabs up, slide it out. Reverse to install the new one.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...BV0554-01.html

entire unit.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...2092SP-28.html

If it was me, I wouldn't mess with the part that could cause a leak, and instead just replace the cosmetic parts.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The PO of my AS had replaced the front crank up vent which included a ceiling light with a Fantastic Vent. I lamented the lack of light as a result until I found a rectangular LED light that attaches to the frame of the Fantastic Vent. Two years ago the rear crank up vent's plastic cover disintegrated while we were having a 2-week continuous rain. The only option available at the time was to fill the area of the vent with insulating foam (the stuff that is used to seal door frames in a house) to stop water coming in. Later, when I was at JC, I had the rear vent taken out and replaced with a Fantastic Vent along with the "Chandelier" - the LED light I mentioned above.

The original crank up vent has a 14"x14" opening, while the Fantastic Vent requires a 15"x15" opening. The major cost of installing the Fantastic Vent at JC was the labor charge to remove the old vent and caulking and to enlarge the opening for the Fantastic Vent. The bedroom now has lots of light from the new larger vent.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
The PO of my AS had replaced the front crank up vent which included a ceiling light with a Fantastic Vent. I lamented the lack of light as a result until I found a rectangular LED light that attaches to the frame of the Fantastic Vent. <<<snip<<<.
Would you share a photo of that light?
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Would you share a photo of that light?
Thanks!
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ol-white/87847
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel