Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Fridge outside compartment cooling fan won't turn off

Hi,
I searched and didn't find anyting on this. The outside fridge cooling fan (located on the outside wall of the fridge) is on full time. Can't turn it off unless I take the power off the rig and turn the batteries to "store"
Fridge running fine. Compartment isn't hot. Its been on for a full day. It stays on even with the fridge turned off.

Anyone has had this problem?

al
roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Replace the thermo switch in line with the fan. Is probably gone bad.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Well, after posting this, it turned off. Now it is back on. I guess it is just doing its job!! Fridge is on. There must be a thermostat in that little compartment.
I feel like Forrest Gump :-)
One has to be able to laught at himself.

But, if anyone can explain to me how it comes on and off and where is the location of thermostat that kicks that on/off, I would like to know..
Like should it be on a cool day or maybe the thermostat is bad? Don't know what is normal and not. I noticed that the fan is the same type I installed in computers (when I worked).

Cheers
Al
Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As I recall, trace the wires back from the fan toward the inside of the compartment. There is a bulge in the wire with two terminals on a round gimmick. That should be the thermo switch. Mine runs a lot as well.

My AS is parked miles away at the moment.

A 12 volt computer fan is a decent replacement. You may be able to find a quieter one than the cheap one in the compartment. Make sure you connect it up right or it will fry the fan motor instantly.

I'm waiting for mine to die before I look for a better new one...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

This is a 2014, and the thermostat is screwed in/attached to the fridge cooling fins.

Pictures enclosed. The fins were cool to the touch, so the fan shouldn't be coming on and off and stay on for hours. I will try and get a new one from AS.

(pictures are for future reference)

I still look forward to more inputs. That side of the trailer was in the sunshine all afternoon. Maybe that click it on. Not sure!!

Cheers

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge fan thermostat.JPG
Views:	1612
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	236722   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge fan.JPG
Views:	1210
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	236723  

Name:	fridge thermostat 2.JPG
Views:	1910
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	236724  
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have the same problem. I did buy a computer fan a some rubber grommets to fix myself, but had the dealer try first. All they did was put a very thin piece of foam I between the chassis and the fan bracket. Made NO difference, the thing vibrates the whole trailer!!!

So, I will try more isolation and eventually change the fan...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I have the same problem. I did buy a computer fan a some rubber grommets to fix myself, but had the dealer try first. All they did was put a very thin piece of foam I between the chassis and the fan bracket. Made NO difference, the thing vibrates the whole trailer!!!

So, I will try more isolation and eventually change the fan...

OK. Well that helps. Thank you. I love trouble shooting. The fan isn't that loud, actually. Just like a computer being on (as it is the same fan). But it shouldn't be on, when the fridge is off. So the thermostat is making the switch hot on its own. I will try a new thermostat from AS (if they will send me one) and see where that takes me. Right now, I just have it disconnected. I have boxes full of these fans. (I owned a computer business after my 25 years in the RCAF, and still have a lot of stock). Some are real good. Depends on the quality. "Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good" Heard that somewhere. :-)
If I find a real good quiet fan in my bag of tricks, I will share the info on this forum.

Al
Old 04-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Many AS with refrigerator fans have a switch inside to turn the fan off when you don't want it running. On my 2014 FC 20' it is right near the door and has a red pilot light in it. But I understand not all units with fans have that switch. So, you can add a manual on/off switch in series with the power supply to the fan, if you want to shut it off when you are sure things are running cool enough.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

BALLWIN , Missouri
Just purchased a 16 Ft. Bambi and when the fridge turned on the whole cabinet around fridg. rumbled. Removed fan mounted on cabinet @ top outside vent and cut a black bungee cord long enough to make a loop to attach back onto cabinet. Before attaching loose ends back to cab. get leather punch and make holes to attach fan with machine screws through fan bracelet to bungee. Punch holes into ends of rubber and reattach.
Reduced decibels by 20 believe it or not. Sorry I'm not technically able to figure out how to post pictures but it worked so well , I have to go outside to see if fan is running.
robertbrenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our fan was really noisy so we put a simple in-line lamp switch on the power wire to control it and replaced the fan with this very quiet one. If it runs when the compartment is hot, such as in the sun, hot interior, or hot weather, it's doing its job. We also prop the door open in hot weather for excellent air movement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	236801  
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We had a 23fb that had the refrigerator fan. I can't say it was noisy, but I could hear it running. Anyway, I found the perfect solution. We traded the 23fb for a 25fb......no more refrigerator fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
more photo posting info...

Hey there Robert! Howdy and welcome to AirForums

Take a minute and read Janet's wonderful "Forums 101" on how to post photos.

Click here to get to it, and if you didn't land on post #7 just go up or dow to find it.

Here's another version of that link in case the one above didn't work:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...tml#post612569
Old 04-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The fridge compartments of the Airstreams without fans also get very hot, no fan to help cool but propping open the lower door may also help cooling air movement.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I've gone through 2 thermistors on the fridge cooling fins. The fan runs incessantly again and only after 2 trips, so that was a waste of money. The fins are cool to the touch so I know it's not overheating. In the evening I just go out and pull the wire off. I check it from time to time and the fins never get more than barely warm. Fridge stays at about 35F.

The PO left me a spare fan with a switch to turn it off. I'm going to install that and try a different brand of thermistor.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I've gone through 2 thermistors on the fridge cooling fins. The fan runs incessantly again and only after 2 trips, so that was a waste of money. The fins are cool to the touch so I know it's not overheating. In the evening I just go out and pull the wire off. I check it from time to time and the fins never get more than barely warm. Fridge stays at about 35F.

The PO left me a spare fan with a switch to turn it off. I'm going to install that and try a different brand of thermistor.
Please let me know if you find a better brand thermostat switch. I did a lot of research in computer cooling with the same kind of fans. I found that blowing air out, helped, blowing air in helped more, and blowing air in and out worked the best. I am going to do some testing on this, as I have many of these fans left from inventory. If you want a great low noise 4 inch fan, go to a computer store and buy a ball bearring fan of high quality. Should cost about $15.
The techie guy should know. A great fan can stay on for years, running 24/7 without making hardly any noise, if mounted with screws at all 4 corners.

Al

Al
Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Is this something on newer units? I've heard of the fans, but do not have a fan.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #17
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I had the same problem with my 25' Airstream. Just traded for a 30' with no fan. Problem solved. Only cost me thousands of dollars...
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Is this something on newer units? I've heard of the fans, but do not have a fan.

Our 23fb had two frig vents on the side of the trailer, no roof vent, and a frig compartment fan. The 25fb has one frig vent on side of trailer, a roof vent for the frig, and no fan. I think AS that have frig vents on the roof don't have fans since they have better stack effect ventilation, but I could be wrong......

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

My 2006 has a fan. It does not work. Replacing it is on my to do list.
Low priority at this time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
Our 23fb had two frig vents on the side of the trailer, no roof vent, and a frig compartment fan. The 25fb has one frig vent on side of trailer, a roof vent for the frig, and no fan. I think AS that have frig vents on the roof don't have fans since they have better stack effect ventilation, but I could be wrong......

I may be wrong, but the 23 may require the fan at the side vent because of the microwave/convection directly above the smaller fridge?

On our 23FB the factory fan was far too loud. Following the great examples on the forums, we replaced with 3 silent computer fans. They seem effective and we do not hear them at all.

schkube is offline   Reply With Quote