Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Fridge not working on 2018 23CB

Fridge stopped working. We're plugged into the house, and have the propane tank opened. Won't work on electric or propane.

The red indicator lights come on on the panel, indicating "auto/gas/check" so I guess power is getting to the appliance.

Have set it to "auto", but then the "check" light comes on.

I can hear a clicking noise coming from outside, but that stops after a minute or so. No other sound coming from fridge, and not cooling at all.

Fuses look fine. No breakers tripped.

What up with this beast????

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check the fuses with a meter or try swapping them out to see if the problem moves. Looks fine is decieving.

Turn the fridge OFF
Then put it on PROPANE and see if that works. If it does try AUTO

Check for a loose electrical plug too.

Are you by any chance using a clothes dryer outlet to hook up your trailer? You'd have fried most of the other electronic stuff in your trailer if so, 220 alternating power kills 110 volt appliances.

Next assume it is a bad control board and call Jackson Center to see of they will send you a replacement.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you are on shore power and have set your refrigerator to AUTOMATIC, it should run on electricity. But you say that you here a clicking sound for a short time. This tells me that your refrigerator is trying to ignite the propane burner. Turn on your stove top burner to see if it lights. You might be out of propane.

I see that this is a relatively new trailer; You do know that these refrigerators take quite a long time to start cooling.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The red indicator light only shows that the reefer is connected to 12vdc power (necessary for the control board). The clicking sound from the igniter seems to indicate that the unit is not receiving 120 VAC and is trying to run on propane.

Do other 120vac powered items work (microwave, wall outlets)?
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Good morning. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

We've had the trailer since October and have been out in it a total of 10 weeks, on 3 different trips. Have had fridge on electric and propane (usually kept on the "auto" setting) and never had a problem.

Yes, we're aware that fridge takes long time to cool. Husband had turned fridge on a day or two prior. Yesterday, we went out there to start prepping for our trip, and fridge "check" light was on, and fridge had not cooled at all.

We tried turning fridge off, then turning it on "propane", and that didn't work either. We are not out of propane. We'd topped off tanks during last trip, and our stove top does ignite.

We are not plugged into a dryer outlet. We bought trailer in October 2017, and have always had it plugged in at home when we're home, without having any problems.

Microwave readout is working, but we didn't actually try the microwave.

Just woke up, so, will go outside this morning to check 1) if plug is loose and 2) will trade out with another fuse to see if that fixes it. 3) will see if outlets are working

Luckily, we do have a service appointment at the dealership where purchased, but not until May 1. On the way there, we were gonna take a few extra days, and we're going to a 3 day "newbie rally"....so, that would kind of suck to not have a fridge for the first week!!

Will report back after we check those last couple things.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
You may have air in the propane line that needs to be purged before it will light. Happens to me every time I bring mine out of storage to use. It takes about 3 or 4 cycles of turning it on, wait for the clicking to stop, turn it off, then turn back on. Repeat until it eventually lights. If you listen closely you can hear it fire up. Mine will do this even if I am on shore power and regardless of the setting to Auto or L.P.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
There have been several reports of a fuse behind a cover panel in the back of the refrigerator blowing which have symptoms like yours. The fridge does not recognize the presence of 120V and operates from propane. Sooner or later, the propane is exhausted and the fridge quits working. One person changed the fuse and the fridge started working, only to blow the fuse again. Required a trip to the dealer to correct under warranty.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66 View Post
You may have air in the propane line that needs to be purged before it will light. Happens to me every time I bring mine out of storage to use. It takes about 3 or 4 cycles of turning it on, wait for the clicking to stop, turn it off, then turn back on. Repeat until it eventually lights. If you listen closely you can hear it fire up. Mine will do this even if I am on shore power and regardless of the setting to Auto or L.P.
Good news to report: FRIDGE IS NOW WORKING!!

I wonder if it had something to do with what you mentioned, RT66. And maybe, yesterday, that was the case, and by time we turned on the stove top, and messed with it a bit, it finally came to its senses and decided to work properly.

Turned it on this morning, and it's working properly off of electric, without triggering the "check" light.

We're headed up to Bay Area Airstream for some maintenance in 2 weeks, so, I'll be sure they check it out, just to be sure all's well.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Redington Beach , Florida
incase it happens again ---I had the identical problem on a 2015 27 FB about a month ago. Error code on the fridge. I had to reseat the connectors in the control box, after spraying everything with contact cleaner. In order to get in the box, you may have to loosen the wiring harness from the deck, as the harness blocks the cover from opening.
The upper left hand connector is the one that goes to the fridge readout. if any one of the 3 wires in the connector are not making good contact, you either get an error code or it will only run on one of the sources, either propane or 120. The wires in that connector are very touchy. Just moving them around with your fingers can cause errors. I had to use a pointed tool to push each pin in the connector to get them to seat to the control board. Haven't had a problem since.