Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Exclamation Fridge has a Mind of its Own!

Hi all, looking for advice.

We have a brand new 2019 25' Globetrotter. We already had plans to head back to Jackson Center again for service and a few small modifications in October. We've now run into a long list of warranty issues, but the only one that's actually pressing is the Dometic fridge. All of the sudden it stopped working and wouldn't show any signs of life on the little control panel. We emptied the fridge and took our food out, planning to call JC tomorrow for an emergency appointment (cold food is a nice amenity) or to find a reputable dealer close to TN. No problem. All of the sudden, for no apparent reason, it turned on again! I went to turn it off, it came right back on and it starts playing this little game. So I went and pulled every fuse after trying the battery disconnect switch to start troubleshooting and, but of course, we have now found that it's somehow wired directly to the battery. I'm not entirely sure how though...

Can anyone help? I looked at the little outside service panel and haven't the slightest clue what I'm looking at, but everything appears plugged in, very clean still (again, brand new!), and nothing obvious to me. I would only assume that something that may draw so much power would be fused and I just want to pull that fuse until we get back in for service. This beeping is driving us absolutely bonkers as it is absolutely incessant!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First guess if it goes totally dead (all lights out / no error messages ) is a loose wire feeding the +12 V to it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Hi Bernie,

The refer in the Globetrotter is a 3 way Dometic which is different from pretty much every other unit so some replies you might get to this question will probably be for older refers and any advice probably won't apply to your unit.

First, there are two 12V circuits for your fridge. One is high current and is used to power the heating coil if you select 12V as your energy source (which should only be your last choice if you have one).

The second circuit is used to power the circuit board. If the board is not receiving enough voltage to turn it on, the refrigerator will be totally dead. if this board does not run, the refrigerator does not run, regardless of what energy source you have selected.

If the refer runs, then doesn't run, then runs, then uncle_bob is probably correct in that the 12V to the circuit board has a bad connection. Somewhere.

Both 12V circuits go directly (more or less) to the battery and the fuse for either circuit is not in the main control panel. There is a separate fuse box. If your unit is a front bed queen, then this fuse box should be located in the front compartment reached through the hatch door behind the battery box and tongue jack. In my 27 FBQ, when I open this compartment, on the left hand side, there is a white board protecting this fuse box and the inverter I think from the rest of the storage area. The fuse box as I remember is a metal box in-between this board and the side of the trailer. You can remove the board to get to the fuse box. If you have twin beds I'm not sure where the fuse box will be. Perhaps in one of the side compartments.

When you talk to tech support, they may ask you to contact Dometic and take your rig to a Dometic repair place. It is possible the problem resides in the refer, not the coach. Could be the control board is flaky. AS might want you to check that out first and make sure it is not a refer problem.

Does the problem happen when you are connected to shore power? If so you could have a flaky converter that is not consistently putting out enough volts. Apparently there have been a lot of trailers sent out with marginal converters.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMac13 View Post
Hi all, looking for advice.

We have a brand new 2019 25' Globetrotter. We already had plans to head back to Jackson Center again for service and a few small modifications in October. We've now run into a long list of warranty issues, but the only one that's actually pressing is the Dometic fridge. All of the sudden it stopped working and wouldn't show any signs of life on the little control panel. We emptied the fridge and took our food out, planning to call JC tomorrow for an emergency appointment (cold food is a nice amenity) or to find a reputable dealer close to TN. No problem. All of the sudden, for no apparent reason, it turned on again! I went to turn it off, it came right back on and it starts playing this little game. So I went and pulled every fuse after trying the battery disconnect switch to start troubleshooting and, but of course, we have now found that it's somehow wired directly to the battery. I'm not entirely sure how though...

Can anyone help? I looked at the little outside service panel and haven't the slightest clue what I'm looking at, but everything appears plugged in, very clean still (again, brand new!), and nothing obvious to me. I would only assume that something that may draw so much power would be fused and I just want to pull that fuse until we get back in for service. This beeping is driving us absolutely bonkers as it is absolutely incessant!

Thanks in advance!
Hi BernieMac13,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 08-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Hi all!

Just an update, I reached out to Airstream and did some digging. The nearest repair center is in Alabama, which would work but for the fact that they’d need to keep it for at least two weeks, which wouldn’t work for us. We contacted corporate and we were able to confirm that there are no fuses that we can access or that anyone there is able to walk us through, but we found three 12V wires and unplugged them. All set for the beeping and we are hoping that there is a replacement fridge in the future but we cannot be certain.

We have adjusted to living without cold food, and given that the soonest we could get in was October, it seems like we will have a few more months before we will be able to have cold food again. I’ll tell you, I won’t soon be taking refrigeration for granted anytime soon!

Thanks for the help, folks! It’s nice to know there are people willing to give it a shot.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a control board in a Domestic fridge (it's what the 12V always feeds). Having it die *and* beep is unusual.

Best bet is to go to the 12V wires you discovered and check them all with a multimeter. If one does not actually *have* 12V on it ..... that's a good place to drill into ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
On the off chance - do you have full battery voltage? Low DC volts could be an issue.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote