Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Fresh water drain

Has any one come up with a way to keep the little plastic drain valve on the fresh water tank from freezing while traveling? Some type of cover or clever idea. We were caught in last years polar vortex in Texas in January, temps in the teens. We couldn't drain the tank because the valve was frozen by the time we stopped for the night. This is on a 2003 25 ft safari
ssopko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't take the chance of it freezing and breaking if I saw low temps coming, just open it and let it drain. Refill when weather warms down the road. Same with any exposed hot and cold drains under the trailer many Airstreams have.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I don't think it is worth the effort to attempting to keep it from freezing. You would have to secure an insulated cover over the valve and even that would have its limitations depending on the thickness of insulation and any voids within the cover.

If you think it will happen again when you have to drain the tank I would carry a hair dryer and play heat on it for a few minuets.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The FW drain valve on our '74 Argosy is inside the coach. What a thought to keep things that freeze inside.
The dump valves unfortunately are in a cold space. We were caught in the weather a year ago in northern NM.
I used windshield wiper fluid or RV anti freeze to flush the toilet. It helps, but in real cold weather the seal will still freeze on the discharge side. Then it is time for the space heater before trying to open it.
The other area that could be a problem is the water supply pipes to the tub/shower. Who puts water lines between the exterior wall and the shower surround? I installed a small computer fan to circulate air into the space. It helps a lot. But when it gets down to below 15 degrees for long periods. . I just winterize. It's impossible to maintain a warm cabin when in transit at those temps.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
A good thing to think about for those replumbing their trailers. When plumbing my Safari I positioned the low point drain valves in the heated portion of the trailer, easy to access, and then continued the drain lines from the valves to exit under the trailer. No chance of freezing as long as the trailer was warm.
Not sure if this could be done with the newer trailers, but worth looking into the possibility. Having to drain all your water to prevent possible freezing valves when you are 30 miles from the nearest access to water is not, in my opinion, a reasonable option. Especially when you are where you want to be.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
samb, what would you do about the drain for the fresh water tank?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Got rid of our plastic valve quite awhile ago.....1/4" ball valve and an aluminum flange.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09500.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	228545  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
samb, what would you do about the drain for the fresh water tank?
All three of the trailers I have re-plumbed have had the fresh water tanks located above the floor, putting them in the heated area of the trailer. I located the drain valves close to the tanks (still in the heated area) and sloped the drain lines from the valves down and through the floor to exit under the trailer. Since there is no water trapped in these lines under the trailer where exposed to freezing temperatures there is no chance of freezing and resulting damage. Also, the drain valves remain operational in freezing temperatures. I have been able to drain my fresh water tank at 7* below 0* with no problems. One nice feature was I did not have to go out in the cold to fight with valves.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote