Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Angry Freakin' parts prices!

I'm relatively new to the TT thing, seeing as how I don't have my trailer yet, and I've just had a pop-up for a number of years.

But dang! The prices people get for parts! Something any fool can plainly see is worth about a buck goes for $9.95!

We need a list of alternate sources for some of this stuff. Like "RV toilet paper" - a buck a roll?!? What's up with that? There's gotta be some cheap stuff that dissolves just as well...

Black tank deodorizer... there's gotta be some bulk chemicals that you can buy for $.50 a gallon and mix up your own.

Let's gang up on this issue. It really needs some focus!
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Some folks swear by the rv toilet paper, I just use the same stuff I do at home. Never had a problem with it breaking up. Just need to be sure your tank is full enough when you dump.

The tank deoderizer is a tricky issue. With all of the new rules regarding no formeldahyde in the sewers or septic system you really can get by with an enzymatic powder. I use RV Trine. It is dry in a packe and one packet works for as long as it take me to fill and dump. I have considered getting the same stuff that they use to boost a septic system and see if it would work. One other option is to dump daily.

There are many parts that will shock you even more, like the early and mid 70's door latches that run close to 500.00

Many of the parts that are on an airstream can be purchased at a good marine store for less than the local dealer, or a good woodworking store. The standard RV stuff is standard RV stuff, it is the 'special" things that seem to be big $$.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Freakin' parts prices!

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
We need a list of alternate sources for some of this stuff. Like "RV toilet paper" - a buck a roll?!? What's up with that? There's gotta be some cheap stuff that dissolves just as well...
I did notice at my local Walmart that they were now stocking Thetford RV toilet paper in the regular toilet paper area for $2.00 a four pack.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:37 AM   #4

Toilet paper?

LOL! With what comes out of me, the last thing I have to worry about is the paper breaking down!
Stay away from Camping World- what a rip off, and what is that Presidential Club BS? Just give us the damn discount!
I suppose if we all drove Prevosts, it wouldn't matter- unfortunately, I have a "tent" budget that I stretch beyond any imaginable proportion.
Does it seem like we who want to camp are being targeted by scammers and con men more often?
Maybe its time to take a stand against the Birchwood Beauties of the world.
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Trash that's a little more information than I needed to hear about.

I agree with you on the scam thing. It seems that they have what I call the movie theater complex. When you go to the movies, you pay huge sums for popcorn and pop and just accept it. Well, some other places feel the "me too" thing and try the same thing. The only difference is that they are boring and we have feet (and/or fingers) to shop elsewhere that doesn't try to extort money just because it's a recreational thing.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #6

I apologize for...

..the gory details about my waste disposal
Just seems funny that we have to worry about the paper- I use good ol' Charmin with Aloe and Vitamin E- its soft on my tush, and if it doesn't break down- WHO CARES!
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Let's see,last year I bought 2 4 packs of Thetford toilet paper. I am not about to get excited oveer saving 4$ a year on toilet paper.

Whenever you get involved in some kind of activity or hobby, there are always scam artists trying to make a buck on simple little items. I find RVing in general to be a reasonably priced activity. Wife is into horses, there are quite a few expensive items there. Harley Davidsons and boating are two more hobbies that can get expensive. John Deere parts are really expensive too.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I have a friend who owns a machine shop...

...and I'll betcha he'd be really interested in reproducing door latches.... anyone got more info on that to send?
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
We use Scott single ply exclusively. . .no problem. Yes, we may use more linear inches per use, but it still breaks down efficiently. We also bought a clear connector (we call it "the video") for our dump valve. We were amazed at how much didn't come out of the black water tank after what we thought was a long flushing period. We watch "the video" until the water runs clear and no "surprises" flow out. You will be surprised at how much was left in your tank after what you assumed was a successful dump. Well worth the less than $5.00 invested!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Pick...don't forget Farmall parts.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Craziest expense I paid for my AS

I actually paid $31.00 for the screw that serves as the inside door lock actuator for my '71 Safari

They had it, I needed it, so that's what happens.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: I have a friend who owns a machine shop...

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
...and I'll betcha he'd be really interested in reproducing door latches.... anyone got more info on that to send?
Someone's already doing some of that:

http://hometown.aol.com/bjenkins1924/bdh.html

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

paper test

Dr Boyd,

I, too, was an staunch supporter of RV toilet paper. This last January in Quartzite, friends we wer with gave me a ration..... for using RV potty paper.
He said, "give me 2 containers, add water, add 5 or so sheets of my FAVOURITE rv paper. Then he took 5 sheets of his favourite grocerystore bought toilet paper, gave them both a good shake, let stand for 5 minutes, and PRESTO. We could not tell the difference. Both containers water-soaked toilet paper had disintegrated evenly.
So, in our new '67 Globetrotter as well as our SOB motorhome, we use regular cheap run of the mill King Soopers(Kroeger) store brand paper. No more hyperventilating when we are out of Camping World's finest.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:37 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
TP

I have been using some "Hecho en Mexico" paper from the el cheapo section of our supermarket. It comes in a plain white wrapper and costs about 1/5 of the cost of RV paper and dissolves in water as well as the expensive stuff.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I have been using some "Hecho en Mexico" paper from the el cheapo section of our supermarket.
That cracked me up!!!

I guess it just caught me off guard ~ or I've had one too many Margaritas tonight while polishing!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

paper test

Dr Boyd,

I, too, was an staunch supporter of RV toilet paper. This last January in Quartzite, friends we wer with gave me a ration..... for using RV potty paper.
He said, "give me 2 containers, add water, add 5 or so sheets of my FAVOURITE rv paper. Then he took 5 sheets of his favourite grocerystore bought toilet paper, gave them both a good shake, let stand for 5 minutes, and PRESTO. We could not tell the difference. Both containers water-soaked toilet paper had disintegrated evenly.
So, in our new '67 Globetrotter as well as our SOB motorhome, we use regular cheap run of the mill King Soopers(Kroeger) store brand paper. No more hyperventilating when we are out of Camping World's finest.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Crack's me up too Shari.............

We're talkin' about TP here!!!!!!!! Trust me here folks, I've been in a trailer (AS or SOB) for near 40 yrs. In all my years, nothing has been used in the "potty room" but good old off the shelf "potty paper"! Think about it, if you have a septic tank at your home, do you run right out and buy RV paper? DUH!!!!!! Give it up, RV paper is a gimmick to get your bucks. LOL

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Funny thing is...this isn't the first time this topic has come up!

Is Scott's Okay?

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

t/p?

$10,000 airstream trailer
$37,000 tow vehicle
$6 black tank chemicals
$1 roll rv t/p
not having to drip dry priceless!
remark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Poo...

Hi All...
Talkin abt a load of POO...
...Many years ago, when my D/D was around 7 years of age, she came into the bathroom, whilst I was having a shave...Daddy she said..Where does POO come from, now 4a split second there I thought she was goin 2 say babies...However !!!...I told her that when we eat our food it digests in the tummy, and it passes through the digestive system inside of us, all the nice yum, yums get used up, and the waste parts come out of our bottoms....O K she said, throwing her TEDDY onto the floor...what abt PIGLET and TIGGER....
I fink I got it Rong agn !!! ...Chris.....