Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Ford 6.7L Powerstroke

I am interested specifically in experiences with the Ford 6.4L Powerstroke to date. I am a reasonably happy Ford customer but looking at the potential to upgrade to the 6.7L. I would be most interested in users who have close to or over 50k miles on it, thanks.

Most important to me is 1) reliability and 2) mileage performance, and 3) anything else you have found that is either a negative or positive. I am coming from a 2008 F250 King Ranch. Thanks in advance!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Don't have 50k miles on ours since we just bought it in May but,,,
We previously had a 7.3 01 model. Had just under 250k miles. Great truck, but outdated. Made our money off it several times over.
Ours is a 6.7 liter power stroke and there is no real comparison. We just got back from a trip from Texas to Minnesota and got 15.3 mpg. On the way back we went thru the Ozarks and the downhill, exhaust braking system kicked in, awesome! Put over 3000 miles on her on this trip and could not be more happy with our purchase. It has the built in trailer brake system. Reads your hookup to a trailer automatically. All in all, we could add up to 100 miles per day of travel if we wanted due to the comfort towing level. Could not be happier with our new truck! To date miles 8500.
Only negative that I came across was the Sync system, and was my error. Could not update route for over 100 miles after Kansas City on the way up.
As with all diesels the more miles breaking in the engine, the better the mileage.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Don't have 50k miles on ours since we just bought it in May but,,,
We previously had a 7.3 01 model. Had just under 250k miles. Great truck, but outdated. Made our money off it several times over.
Ours is a 6.7 liter power stroke and there is no real comparison. We just got back from a trip from Texas to Minnesota and got 15.3 mpg. On the way back we went thru the Ozarks and the downhill, exhaust braking system kicked in, awesome! Put over 3000 miles on her on this trip and could not be more happy with our purchase. It has the built in trailer brake system. Reads your hookup to a trailer automatically. All in all, we could add up to 100 miles per day of travel if we wanted due to the comfort towing level. Could not be happier with our new truck! To date miles 8500.
Only negative that I came across was the Sync system, and was my error. Could not update route for over 100 miles after Kansas City on the way up.
As with all diesels the more miles breaking in the engine, the better the mileage.
Great input, thanks. Is that 15 mpg towing?
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Yes. Warranty specs are 1000 miles with now towing. Getting about 13ish. Did that. Started off with a light trailer (we own a landscape/garden center so we tow many types of trailers) approx 2000 lbs. At 2500 miles put a larger trailer behind, the towed some weight. At 3000 miles, did a large haul, got 14.1. During our trip to Minnesota up hill as elevation from Texas, I started the day reading the ave mileage. It increased each time. On the way back (down elevation) the reading was 15.3. I did a cost analysis with mileage and fuel purchases and was spot on with the on board readings. Have put on about a grand miles since we got back 2 weeks ago and the mileage is now at 15.5 average. Towing and not. I was really impressed with the downhill engine brake. It kicks in before you feel the need to slow down. The 6 speed tranny is different than what I was used to. It will kick in to slow you, then the engine brake will kick in after to help the tranny. Sounds like a muffled tiger purring. Can remember my wife asking "whats that noise?" I said "engine brake auto kickin". Then the line from the Tom Cruise move went thru my head. Instead of Porche, it was Ford 6.7 diesel, there is no substitute when hauling... Money very well spent. Also, Ford corporate and my local dealer calls or emails me each week to see how my truck is doing. This I am sure will taper off, but it is a good thing to spend a few minutes answering questions as per warranty/user experience. Driving each day I go slightly slower than posted speeds, just to break in the drive train. As well as when I do service my on board computer shows little to no abuse. If you have not driven the new 6.7 it has increadible power even at highway speed. Could not be happier with my truck.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
This guy is in your neck of the woods. People love or hate him. Bill Hewitt. I think he is pretty square but who knows. Lots of videos on Power Strokes

Powerstrokehelp.com But look up his videos on YouTube

Good Luck

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I have over 50k miles on my 6.7 f250. I love it.
There is a huge difference towing with a 3/4 ton diesel over a 1/2 ton gas.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Those 6.7s are amazing! It's hard to best the old 7.3s, though. We just love our 7.3. It's really great to hear how good the 6.7s are. After another 300,000 miles on our 7.3 we might have to think about getting a 6.7! (Of course that v10 gas triton in your b-van is pretty great, too, Brad!)
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
love mine, not 50K yet , but 18-20 around town and 12-15 towing.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
GREAT input, thanks all. I have owned the 7.3 and while it sounds like a marble machine it was clearly the best diesel built. Also had the 6L in a previous Excursion - no issues with it but traded it in just below 100k.

I happened to meet someone yesterday who was obviously very familiar with the Powerstroke engines. He was explaining that the engine design on the 6.4L was flawed from inception due largely to the design/routing of the emissions-related gear. Wondering if this was changed/corrected in the 6.7L... I know all the emissions stuff really chokes these engines. Because of the cost of repairs, a lot of these engines get trashed according to my contact.

I have kept my truck regularly maintained and yet while I have no interest in changing trucks I am wondering if it just makes better sense to bite the bullet and go new. I do figure I probably need to buy a new TV before I retire, but was just trying to hold off a few more years...

The mileage on the 6.7L sounds wonderful compared to what I am getting, which in general is around 9 or 10 mpg. While that in and of itself wouldn't trigger a new truck purchase, it certainly is alluring.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The 6.7l is a totally different engine than the 6.0/6.4.

The 6.7l is designed and manufactured by Ford rather than purchased from IH. It's a "hot V" design, with the exhaust running into the V of the engine where the turbo resides, etc. Very different plumbing layout. It's been on the market for a couple of years and I haven't heard an unusual level of problems.

Remember that the most economical vehicle OVERALL is almost always the one you already own. Since you don't need a new vehicle right now, you can wait a year or two and let lots of these 6.7l Scorpion engines get into higher mileage and see what their longevity is like.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I had a 2001 7.3 and loved it. It could tow anything. Best diesel motor for Ford trucks until the new true Ford Diesel arrived. But noisy as hell. Every dog in the hood knew when I was coming and going. Before that I had a 6.9 which was a dog until I put a Banks Turbo on it. I now have a 2011 F-250 Super Cab 6.7 4WD with 40K miles on it which includes towing my 2009 Flying Cloud 27' FB from Portland, OR to Alaska last year and Mardi Gras this year. Absolutely best Ford truck ever made in modern times. The intergrated tow/braking system with automatic yaw control is a dream to tow anything.
My only complaint is the same with my 2001. There is no light for the rear seat area. It's always dark when you're trying to find something at night. Cheap fix and they still haven't done it.
I also can tell you that with 40K miles, I've used about 31 gals on DEF (diesel exhaust fluid). It's a minor nuisance, even less so if you care about emissions. Truck stops are the best way to fill although you might have to borrow a special magnetic adapter from the truck stop. I keep track of towing miles (another nice feature on the tow package is a computer that keeps track of miles for different trailers) versus non towing miles and haven't been able to discern a pattern for DEF use. Some say idling uses more than driving, but I don't know.
Lifetime mileage is 14+, but I tend to drive fast and when I have checked it towing at lower speeds, I can push it up to 17+ and even close to 20 mpg at times. Keep in mind this is a F250 4WD automatic with a camper shell full of gear and supplies, with 2 adults and a wonderful 60 lb yellow lab towing trailer close to 9000 lbs.
While many write about the new Ford motor, the new 6 speed automatic is great too.
Oops, spending too much time here. Got to get back to work.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
One other improvement that could cause me to get a newer Ford F250 is if they put in the electric full roll down windows in the back jump seat doors like they have done on the F150.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Timely post. I have a 2002 F250 diesel/4x4. Used it for about eight years to pull a FW. Now have an AS. Truck has been reliable and pulled through the Rockies a number of times, no engine problems, some chassis issues, eg, ball joints. I like the new F250's, but have a hard time deciding if it's worth the money for a new one. On days that my analytical brain is working, it says stay with what you have. On days that the emotional brain is working, I ask myself why I haven't traded yet. Next year will be the trucks 12th birthday. Probably trade then.
It's good to read about the processes others go through in deciding whether to trade or not.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
I have driven nothing but Ford products the last 40 years. Keeping an open mind when a new truck was needed, I drove all 3 major brands. Bought a 2012 Ram 3500 mega cab Laramie 4x4 diesel. Just pulled our 30' classic from AZ to MI, then to WA state. Have 9500 miles on the truck and honestly feel I could not have made a better decision. Mileage at 60 loaded in the 14's, at 55 almost 16. This is in mountains, and no DEF. effortless driving.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I've been jonesing for the 6.7 for quite a while now. But the new rear coil air suspension on the 2014 Ram 2500 has me intrigued. Hmmmmmmm.....

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
2013 F250 6.7 Lariat purchased in February. About 6,000 miles on the odometer, 2,500 towing our 25' International through western states - Colorado Idaho, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico, a lot of climbing at high altitude.

Towing 12.5 MPG average at 65 -70mph.
Unloaded down the highway, 18 - 20mpg at 75mph.

I absolutely love this truck and it is a dream to tow the Airstream. Sometimes you forget its back there. One great feature is the backup camera, I can hitch up without any assistance and do it on the first shot. I have no regrets on the purchase and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new TV.
RT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Brad,

1. Not an owner of a Ford 6.7L
2. Read No. 1 Again.

My neighbor has a 6.7L and it is one impressive truck, gone for rides, its something else. He has owned a 6.0L, long story but it failed him once too often and it got traded, fast.

I copied this from a Dodge forum, don't throw the rock at me, just adding to the mix

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...wn-head-gasket

OK, now for the only opinion I can offer and its based on being a survivalist when it comes to working on my vehicles, I try to do it myself as much as possible. I think this "service procedure" it started with the 6.0L and has continued to date. To work on any of these engine compartment packed trucks to do something major or serious, you lift the cab off of the truck. In fact in the attached link they have a picture of a Ford with the cab in the air for the work they are doing.

I repeat, I don't own one but anything that you have to take the cab off to do any fairly serious engine work to is just a turn off to the whole truck.

Again, my opinion.

Good luck with your search.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I was wondering if other 6.7 owners smile when they can accelerate while towing going up a steep mountain. I have 10k trouble free miles on my 2012. Saying I 'love' my truck is a strong statement so I will say I like it very very much.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Brad,

I've owned my 2011 Ford F250 with the 6.7 two years and three months. It has 20,000 miles on it, about 9000 towing the Airstream (2008 27FB Safari). It is the first full size truck I've owned and the first diesel.

No issues at all with the engine. I change the oil more frequently than recommended. I also changed the fuel filter earlier than the recommended service interval. The engine is very quiet for a diesel which was a major selling feature for Susan.

I had an issue with the transmission hesitating between 2nd and 3rd on cold mornings. A computer update performed by the dealer fixed it.

Average mileage towing between 13.5 13.8. Last time we towed up the mountain from Winston-Salem to Highland Haven in Virginia mountains we got 13.8. The best we've ever gotten was about 14.2 going to Myrtle Beach. I tow at about 62 mph on the highway which seems to be the sweet spot for my truck.

This thing has plenty of power. I easily maintain the 55 speed limit going up the mountain east of Asheville on I40. Same going up I77 to Fancy Gap. No effort at all in the West Virginia mountains.

The only things we don't like about the truck are Synch. We find the navigation system more complicated than others we've owned. I also wish the steering was tighter. It is a little sloppy for my taste.

The integrated braking system is terrific and has already saved our bacon once. I had to slam on the brakes at 55 mph to avoid someone who passed me, moved into my lane and slammed his brakes on to turn right. The truck and trailer came quickly to a stop in an absolutely straight line.

Overall, we love our truck and hope to get at least 300,000 miles with little trouble. Come over and take a look at the Balloon Fiesta.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
As a former 7.3 owner now with a V-10, I am butting in only because I have a friend that is a Ford diesel mechanic at my Ford dealer. The real bottom line is how many newer 6.7 diesels are at the dealer for a problem. After 3 years of the Ford 6.7 engine, he tells me that he has very few come in and mostly for low urea tank issues or unrelated electronic stuff. ALL new diesels have urea tanks issues, no matter. IF I was looking for a new diesel engine pickup(which I am not), I would definately go for the Ford 6.7 as I have also read other "tests" from magazine tests, long term, that also conclude that the new (sorta) 6.7 is a great engine.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote