Old 03-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
1971 18' Caravel
avondale estates , Georgia
Foam Insulation? '69 Caravel

Today I dropped the last third of my bellypan as there was a large rot hole in the trunk area. Also I could see rust.This is what I found. The frame will have to be replaced for several feet and several outriggers replaced along with cross members There was foam insulation under the Caravel stuck to the plywood floor. Was this done by the factory? When it gets wet it stays wet! which causes rot. I had a '50's FeatherCraft Clipper where this was done as flotation and it held water and caused the aluminum to corrode. I scraped it off the back end of the trailer. I think the rest of it should go. This would require the dropping of the entire bellypan. Has any one out there had this type of insulation and did you remove it? I was expecting fiberglass. I will see if I can figure out how to post photos of the foam and frame rot.
The Restoration Begins!

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Stick on foam insulation is not stock. OEM is the fiberglass batten type insulation that rolls out, there may b a part that has an adhesive on the edges to hold it in place.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
my '69 Safari also had all spray foam insulation, which you can see in posts #19 and #22:

I'm not so sure it wasn't stock. Most of the trailer had not been modified. Perhaps in the '60's AS did this. it's pretty effective as an insulator and seals up any air leaks quite well, but it's a beeyotch to get off as it sticks like glue. I'll be updating the above thread soon (things are startin to look much better ;-) and plan to go with foam board insulation as many here have done.

you can find lots of good threads for floor replacements etc. w/search. best,
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
69 Foam Insulation

I had the same experience with my 69 Tradewind. I'm sure spray on foam insulation was something the factory experimented with in 69. I scraped off all of the foam and cleaned the frame and repainted it. I will relace it with a layer of foil insulation and a layer of fiberglass insulation. I too had the frame rot and outrigger deterioration in the rear area. I wish I had found "Out of Doors Mart" earlier, they have outriggers at a decent price. Good Luck and be sure to protect those square corner windows in the front.

T. Waugh
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote