Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
Flooring ? and Bed/couch ?

Since I am still quite new at this, I would like to know some opinions....

I want to take the carpet out - it's a light colored berber - NOT a good choice - and replace it with flooring of some kind - what is a good choice to replace it with? I don't mind spending a bit of money on it, as long as it lasts, and of course, looks nice. This baby won't be leaving me anytime soon, so I want to invest in it....

Another question - As much as I don't really want to take away from the whole "airstream" effect on the inside, I reallllly don't like the bed in the front - you know, the pull out couch? It's very uncomfortable and I hurt horribly after a lonnnng night spent on it. What is the best thing to do with this? Can a person just have the cushion/mattress redone in a high quality foam, or is the better thing to do buy a pullout couch bed to replace it?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegotone
Since I am still quite new at this, I would like to know some opinions....

I want to take the carpet out - it's a light colored berber - NOT a good choice - and replace it with flooring of some kind - what is a good choice to replace it with? I don't mind spending a bit of money on it, as long as it lasts, and of course, looks nice. This baby won't be leaving me anytime soon, so I want to invest in it....

Another question - As much as I don't really want to take away from the whole "airstream" effect on the inside, I reallllly don't like the bed in the front - you know, the pull out couch? It's very uncomfortable and I hurt horribly after a lonnnng night spent on it. What is the best thing to do with this? Can a person just have the cushion/mattress redone in a high quality foam, or is the better thing to do buy a pullout couch bed to replace it?
I like the vinyl flooring used in the new Airstreams. It is very flexible, looks pretty convincing (hardwood look), soft under the feet, easy to clean and pretty inexspensive too. The flooring guy (we are building a rental next to our home) said it is easy to install (installation per sq ft is cheaper too) and that it has a 75 year warranty. So, we are putting it all throughout the rental.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Do a search on "laminate" flooring, you'll find lots of results and opinions.

There are also lots of threads on beds/bedding and mattresses.
I just sold a '72 that had the sofa/bed goucho. The joint between the cushions was uncomfortable unless you lay on one side or the other.
I bought 3" memory foam topper and placed over it and slept like a baby. Problem solved. The only issue there was where to store the topper when not in use.
Good luck,
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Thanks for the tips - I'll do the search!

We were thinking along the lines of a really good quality vinyl flooring as well, so we may end up with that in the end.

As for the bed, we actually did the same thing with the memory foam as well last year, and although it did help somewhat, we did find it hard to figure out what to do with the foam during the daytime....I'm going to have to do some digging around
Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
the stuff we are using is made by Tarkett and is the 0800 Series Fiberfloor Woodland 39.4" x 100cm

Our color choice is #08001

oh, and supposedly you roll on the glue with what looks like a paint roller. We were told it is VERY easy to install and to work with. It is very spongy and nice.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Marmoleum. All natural and no off-gassing.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Marmolem-the good, the bad and the reality!

Here's our new Marmoleum floor and new dinette. We ripped out the gaucho and said "see ya' later!" Absolutely no regrets! Ripped out the tan Berber carpeting also. Yes, cameront120, the Marmoleum looks good, is natural with no out-gassing, however it was a bear to install. It was expensive too. I'd say in our 25' Tradewind, it was approx. $600 (without labor, beer and swearing). It scratches easily too. You just need to be careful about little rocks. But, I love the look.

Karin

Photo (husband Mark left, Doorgunner and Linda Lu on Right) NorCal Casini Rally April, 2008
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark, LL &DG.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	59028  

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
You can rub out scratches and burns fairly easily. It is a durable product, as I've seen servicable 50+ year old linoleum in hospitals and schools that I've done additions and renovations to.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
You can rub out scratches and burns fairly easily. It is a durable product, as I've seen servicable 50+ year old linoleum in hospitals and schools that I've done additions and renovations to.
You are absolutely correct, but it was just a tight squeeze in the trailer for Mark who is 6'4. I hope it lasts along time, 'cuz I'll never get him to install another floor! ...and like said, I love the look.

How DO YOU rub out the scratches? Do you use a certain product?

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We put in Quick Step laminate flooring last year. The installation was pretty easy once we got the sub-floor level. The floor has held up pretty well despite the dog unit and her little claws. One caveat: this particular flooring cannot be used in the bathroom (we tiled that area)

We hate the Gaucho but have yet to do anything about it. Keep us posted if you find the perfect solution.

mike
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati
How DO YOU rub out the scratches? Do you use a certain product?
Here is a link to the Forbo Technical Bulletin for Marmoleum Repairs:

http://www.forbolinoleumna.com/Modul...0Repairs-1.pdf
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
I'm not sure if anyone around here carries the marmoleum, but I'm sure I'll find it somewhere - I'm thinking that's the way to go for sure!

I really like the idea of the dinette in place of the gaucho....wonder if my "other half" will agree - since it will be him doing all the work

It won't get done right away anyway - 49 more sleeps and we're headed to the Yukon with 'er!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
funny! I'm in the process of changing our floor and ditching the gaucho for a dinette as well. Seems like no one likes those couches. Not a good use of space, in my opinion. One rainy camping trip in a trailer with a gaucho instead of a dinette will convert ya!

I'll post pics of my project when I get around to taking them. Were going laminate as well. Very durable and cheap. $200 for the whole trailer!

Jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
funny! I'm in the process of changing our floor and ditching the gaucho for a dinette as well. Seems like no one likes those couches. Not a good use of space, in my opinion. One rainy camping trip in a trailer with a gaucho instead of a dinette will convert ya!

I'll post pics of my project when I get around to taking them. Were going laminate as well. Very durable and cheap. $200 for the whole trailer!

Jp
Heh... I knew we'd somehow get you to post pictures of your TW upgrades. Now, would it be possible to convince you to just start a whole thread about the renovation of this trailer...?

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote