Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Looks great JP, nice work as always. I like the idea of keeping the bedroom more open to the galley and front lounge-- when I finally get an Airstream of my own, I'll probably do something like that. The trick is to make it look natural and fit in with the rest of the camper. I've seen some renovations that opened it up and looked great, and others that just looked incomplete and out-of-place. Do you have any plans yet on hiding or integrating that sink vent pipe?

You've accomplished a ton in just 24 hours of labor, it's really impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing your dinette solution in the front. I know that window placement on some of the Tradewinds and Overlanders makes this tricky. Since I'm contemplating a dinette for a 60s Overlander, I'd be facing the same challenges as you. I was thinking about using a temporary backrest made of very rigid foam cushions rather than a hard-backed booth back. Or alternatively, something that slides down and out of the way when not in use, although that could eat into the under-booth storage. I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
JP--

One other thing, I notice that you placed the new laminate floor length-wise, which I think is by far the most visually appealing orientation. But I've seen some people on these Forums suggest that laying it cross-wise is better for its structural integrity, and that laying it lengthwise could result in future problems with buckling or other issues. Did you do anything special to address that, or in your experience is it just not an issue? I know you've installed plank-type flooring (real wood though) in another trailer, but I don't know if you've pulled that one extensively yet or not. Just looking for your opinion on it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #23
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
JP--

One other thing, I notice that you placed the new laminate floor length-wise, which I think is by far the most visually appealing orientation. But I've seen some people on these Forums suggest that laying it cross-wise is better for its structural integrity, and that laying it lengthwise could result in future problems with buckling or other issues. Did you do anything special to address that, or in your experience is it just not an issue? I know you've installed plank-type flooring (real wood though) in another trailer, but I don't know if you've pulled that one extensively yet or not. Just looking for your opinion on it.

It had laminate in it lengthwise when I got it. No problems. On the little trailer, it's got real wood, and it's nailed down. No, I haven't towed it much, (well, at all, really!) but I don't anticipate any problems with it. This stuff is pretty strong when you get it in there. It goes in FAST, too.

As for the vent pipe, I'll address that once I get the top locker built. That will let me get a better pic of what's visible. No sense dolling up what you can't see!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can

As for the vent pipe, I'll address that once I get the top locker built. That will let me get a better pic of what's visible. No sense dolling up what you can't see!

JP
Keep it exposed, paint it silver and say it's your Festivus pole!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Castle Rock , Colorado
Lots of great ideas. I too need to replace my carpet. I do know I won't reinstall more carpet. I have not decided if I will use a laminate or a high grade vinyl. My carpet is so dusty/dirty from sitting for far too long I will just throw it out with the dust and dirt.
DMRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
Well we discussed it, and we're definitely getting rid of the front gaucho and going with a dinette instead....I actually would like to get rid of the second gaucho as well, but we do need the extra sleeping room it provides. Which leads me to ask - has anyone else seen this floor plan - with the second gaucho in the rear as opposed to 2 twin beds?
Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
my trade wind actually had that setup. We left the gaucho open as a bed all the time. We're planning on getting rid of all the gaucho parts and building it as a permanent bed during this rehab, trimming 4 inches of the width to give us more aisle room when we walk by. I can't imagine ever sitting on a couch in the back of an airstream staring at a wall of cabinets. What WERE they thinking?

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegotone
Well we discussed it, and we're definitely getting rid of the front gaucho and going with a dinette instead....I actually would like to get rid of the second gaucho as well, but we do need the extra sleeping room it provides. Which leads me to ask - has anyone else seen this floor plan - with the second gaucho in the rear as opposed to 2 twin beds?
Geez, what's all this talk about removing the gaucho? My Safari is called a Safari Double with two double beds that fold out from couches (gauchos)

In a 22' trailer the gauchos are up and out of the way while travelling and when camping the middle bed can be left open and pulled out 3/4 length during the day.

Maybe it's a guy thing, but I like a long couch to stretch out on in the middle of the day or evening. We have a fold out table that sets up in front of the couch when eating inside if the weather is iffy.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati
Here's our new Marmoleum floor and new dinette. We ripped out the gaucho and said "see ya' later!" Absolutely no regrets! Ripped out the tan Berber carpeting also. Yes, cameront120, the Marmoleum looks good, is natural with no out-gassing, however it was a bear to install. It was expensive too. I'd say in our 25' Tradewind, it was approx. $600 (without labor, beer and swearing). It scratches easily too. You just need to be careful about little rocks. But, I love the look.

Karin

Photo (husband Mark left, Doorgunner and Linda Lu on Right) NorCal Casini Rally April, 2008
Hey, I like your style

Here is another study in orange just to show a comparsion with the gaucho in place. This is Armstrong tiles in "pumpkin" they are much less labor then the marmoleum. I am sure the marmoleum is a much cleaner way to go as there are no seams. The color is fun but shows everything which maybe is good thing. Have to keep it clean......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 033 [800x600].JPG
Views:	138
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	59278  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Gaucho-Coucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Hey, I like your style

Here is another study in orange just to show a comparsion with the gaucho in place. This is Armstrong tiles in "pumpkin" they are much less labor then the marmoleum. I am sure the marmoleum is a much cleaner way to go as there are no seams. The color is fun but shows everything which maybe is good thing. Have to keep it clean......

I like yours also! There is something about l'orange. Your photo makes your AS look very spacious and your gaucho is one of the nicest I've seen. I guess we just didn't like sitting side-by-side on our gaucho, cranking our necks for conversation. Our '78 Int'l Tradewind had this side table that was tucked away next to the gaucho and it required more effort than I thought was worth it to set up. Only one person really had use of the table. Oh, well! Too late now.

On the other hand,, I would love to have a gaucho instead of the twin beds.
By the time we figure that out, we won't care!

Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 22' International CCD
Tunbridge , Vermont
For what it's worth, I just picked up a new 2007 22 ft International CCD with front bed (under the wrap around windows.) the mattress has an odd curve to it to fit the Airstream but so far this is the BEST thing about the whole new rig.

I am towing it home on I-81 in VA and got a little tired after 350 miles so I pulled into a rest stop and took a nap. I was out like a light in five minutes. Best mattress I've ever had in an RV, despite many little complaints uncovered already about this rig. I had a 1986 32 ft Excella for 8 years, the bed wasn't very good at all and I spent the first two year "fixing & fastening" stuff that should have been done correctly at the factory. I've only had this one a couple of days and already I've found a 1/4 inch gap in the aluminum seam that allows outdoor light to "illuminate" the storage cabinet space under the bed ! Airstreams are very nice for lots of ego boosting reasons or I wouldn't have bought another one--both purchased new--but they are slapped together just like the lesser brands when it comes to little things. I'm not complaining, just explaining... I'd still rather pull an AS than anything else. Between AS rigs i had a Jayco for 5 years and there is no comparison for long haul towing.

AIR 26504
WBCCI 2980
2007 22 ft International CCD
2007 Tahoe 4X4
Hensley Arrow
[prior AS: 1986 Excella 32 ft ]

Whoever said "Money can't buy happiness" never owned a custom made bamboo fly rod.
Pete Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Lloydminster , Saskatchewan
It's not that I hate the look of the gauchos - in fact, I quite like them - it's the comfort factor that I hate. We tried the whole memory foam toppers - but even that was not helpful - the bed just doesn't seem to want to really lay flat...besides, I think I like the look of the dinette as well as the practicality of it (for us)....The rear gaucho will stay, but the previous owner had tried to make a bunk bed over it, thereby taking out the top storage compartments and leaving a hole...I'd like to be able to fix that and make it look nicer....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-front-gaucho.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	59774  
Attached Images

Wegotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
I went through the same issues this year. Decided on a floating cork floor, and pulled out the miserable couch and built a dinette up front. Here is the link posted on this forum recently:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ing-42052.html
Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #34
73Trotter

1968 28' Ambassador
1971 29' Ambassador
Moorhead , Minnesota
Flooring

I have refurbished three Airstreams in the last 2 years and have put a basic and relatively inexpensive (less than $1.00 US per square foot) in all of them and vinyl stick down tiles in the bathroom. I have found it easiest to take out the beds and in each of my cases also took out the non-functioning fridge. I use paper towels to trace the front curves and then a router or jigsaw to cut the front curved pieces. I then use a beige caulk to "trim" out the edges.

As for the lack of comfort. One trailer I bought eggshell material and another simply started with new foam. In the one I used eggshell material I used fitted sheets over the top and a nice comforter and kept the eggshell foam on all of the time--much easier than trying to store it.
jfremstad is offline   Reply With Quote