Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Buyer beware....again...still

I wonder if the dealer Paul mentioned..in Atlanta...had Airstreams under water....and now drying them out. If so, I'd keep an eye out on the resale market. It is akin to the vehicle sales after a Gulf Coast hurricane. A flooded vehicle never recovers.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While you trailer was no really deep in the water I would still want the brake drums pulled and the bearings checked. You do not want to run the risk of a water remaining in the bearings. Not something the insurance company or shop will volunteer.

Make sure you have a good shop do this as many RV shops charge for the service and never do it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
While you trailer was no really deep in the water I would still want the brake drums pulled and the bearings checked. You do not want to run the risk of a water remaining in the bearings. Not something the insurance company or shop will volunteer.

Make sure you have a good shop do this as many RV shops charge for the service and never do it.

Great point. I wasn't thinking about the bearings.

I tried to contact Camping World again today and couldn't reach them. I went to there website and it had a notice saying "closed till further notice due to flooding".

Just a mess everywhere here.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Another thought... was the water high enough to reach ANY LP gas appliance? The water and mud may plug the orifices. Might get overlooked. Just a thought. Water heater, furnace, Fridge, or a catalytic heater.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Sorry, so sorry for your dilemma.
I wonder how many other members got their trailers caught up in this Southeast flooding tragedy? Guess many have not had time to assess and report. I know there are many members that have those addresses.
Maybe a separate thread for notices and reports would be in order?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Camping World in wdstk very new dealer, I would take it to out of doors mart in NC also and I live 10 minutes from woodstock.

Good luck
kevinb
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Unhappy The 2010 Airstream I Intended to Purchase was Flooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfuson View Post
I met with the adjuster this afternoon. He wants me to get the trailer to a service center to see what they think the trailer would need. I called Airstream in Ohio, and they told me to go to Camping World in Woodstock, Ga. They are a new Airstream dealer, so the factory couldn't give me much in the way of a personal reference.

I tried to contact Camping World's service dept. today, but apparently their property is also flooded today and there was no one for me to talk with. I will try again tomorrow, and hopefully be able to make arrangements to get the trailer to them to look at.

Luckily, I did move the trailer to higher ground last week. Last night the same place where my trailer was parked went under water again. This time by five feet. I would have died.

You are right. I was 10 days away from purchasing an Airstream, a 23 FB Flying Cloud, from Camping World and I got a call from their California office advising me that Camping World had sustained a lot of flooding and the trailer that I intended to purchase was also flooded. It seems that all their inventory was damaged, to included units that are owned and was at their location for service. I feel for them. They told me that they would make every effort to get me a similar unit. Camping World had approximately 8 to 10 Airstream units on site. The Camping World rep advised that my salesman would get in touch with me soon about a replacement. I am planning to trade-in my newly purchased Jayco for the Airstream. I had thought planned to deliver it before the purchase. I am so glad that I had put off doing that.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I was told by the Camping World rep that the Woodstock store got 5 to 6 feet of water. They indicated that it had flooded all their inventory.

When I was up there on Sunday sitting in the 23' FB Flying Cloud that I had planned to purchase, I could see a creek near the Exit off Interstate 575 that was brimming with water. I had never noticed water in that area before. It was raining like cats and dogs around the time I was visiting (at 1 pm) and it continued raining in that fashion all day Sunday and most of Monday.

I was having second thoughts on the 23' based on some advice from some of the brilliant people in this forum and was looking at the 25', however, I dreaded postponing on the dealership again. Now, this unfortunate incident will allow me more time to decide on which A/S to get. The staff at Camping World are very decent folks. I really feel sorry for their predicament.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had some work done at Carolina Coach in Claremont, NC, 828-459=9790 and been very happy with them. Don't know if they can help you, but they are not too far from you, if you haven't found anyone to help with a damage estimate.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I am only 30 miles from Carolina Coach in NC. They are an Interstate motor home sales center. They do not work on the Airstream trailers or have expertise in them at this facility. I would take it to Out of Doors Mart in Kernersville, NC. They have been an Airstream dealer since 1969.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote