Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have the Pole Ease setup and like it fine. To light my flags at night, I went to Lowes and bought a 12 volt landscape spot light and a magnet. I went to Wal-mart and purchased a vehicle-side (female) 7-way trailer light connector. I wired the light to the battery and ground lead in the connector, and simply plug the trailer male into it, and use the onboard batteries/invertor to power the light. The magnet holds the light on the trailer tongue, directly under the flags. The light is a 15 watt spot fixture, so most of it shines straight up, and not at the neighbors.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhutjohn View Post
Just in case you come north of the border into Canada, you should remember that the Canadian flag goes in the middle, and the US flag in the second position, just so you don't get fragged by a bunch of enraged Canucks.

"In a line of three flags, the National Flag of Canada should be in the centre. The other two flags should, in alphabetical order, be placed to the left and right of the National Flag respectively, from the point of view of the observer facing the three flagpoles/masts (Figure 13)."

Of course when we Canadians are in the US, we fly the Stars and Stripes in the centre and the Canadian flag on the left, as you face the front of the trailer. The flag on the right is usually the unit flag or such other flag as desired. We also spell centre differently.
Sarge
And the Maple Leaf is presented in an upright fashion, as all Atlanta Braves fans and United States Marines (I am both) now know.

I still blame this gaff for our loss in the 1992 World Series.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael79 View Post
...In general, do you take down your flags every night, or just leave them up, or ???...
depends on the weather with my flags...

as 4 the wb' well they've got burgundy or blue (match the zipdee) flag cozy things...

so ya can rolled 'um up and cover them but leave them in the holder after hours.

see posts # 48 through #56 for flags out the wb' wazoo here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...gon-23910.html

cheers
2air'

and m'mate the factory sells 'flag boxes' that are very nice.

they mount under the belly pain opening near the main door, like the stinky tube but rectangular/aluminum

and will hold several poles, flags and other pirate contraband...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Flag Holder Follow-Up and Another Question...

Hello All,

Just as a follow-up, here is a picture of the 5 hole holder I fabricated. I did not have the ability to weld, so I made the piece with the lower holes in it seperately, and used stainless steel screws to attach the two pieces. I attached the holder to the jack with 2 inch stainless steel muffler clamps as well.

Sorry about the rusty bottles. I am trying to milk the old propane out of them, before I do the upgrade/OPD conversion.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I purchased one 12 foot aluminum telescoping painters extension handle at the local building supply place (HD) to use to make sure I had the correct hole size.

The new mast, with the flag on it looks good, but I think something needs to be done with the very top of the mast, above the flag, where the threads are located. has anyone come up with a good Ball or "Truck" idea to cap off the top of the paint extension handle/ flagpole???

If I don't hear anything in the next few days, I'll try to hit the hobby stores, and find a 3 inch plastic or wooden ball and see what I can do.

Thanks agin for the help!!!

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012S.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	63268  

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

and m'mate the factory sells 'flag boxes' that are very nice.

they mount under the belly pain opening near the main door, like the stinky tube but rectangular/aluminum

and will hold several poles, flags and other pirate contraband...
I thought I had seen something like that once before, but haven't seen them since.

Also, I have read that some get an extra sewer hose tube and mount next to the sewer hose tube with it turned in the reverse direction (open side facing curb side of Airstream) to avoid confusion, but I would be afraid that dirt, dust, mud, etc. would enter the screw cap's vent holes and soil the flags and flag poles. I'll have to search the on-line store again when I add a flag holder for a storage container.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
... some get an extra sewer hose tube...
yep, some use an extra poop tube, which is less expensive and easier to mount.

the rectangular flag box is large enough to hold rugs, brooms, door mats, some folding chairs and even a folding table...

i carry all sorts of stuff in them, that is too large for the valterra tube...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unhappy I don't have to worry about this for awhile...

All six of my flags were stolen at the WBCCI Bozeman International Rally!

US, Canada, Colorado, DenCO Unit, Past Unit President & Vintage Airstream Club (the old one). Total loss of about $250-300 to me ~ they are all replaceable...except the blue w/yellow VAC flag unless anybody has one they would like to sell to me.

I'm sure it was just a prank...at least a dozen others were stolen too throughout the rally site - "they" also switched poles between trailers. We ended up with old damaged poles instead of our new ones we just bought...and there were spares littering the rally site and the flag covers many of the officers use. Made me mad, to say the least! Doubt they will be recovered...but we did file a police report and our fingers are crossed.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
All six of my flags were stolen at the WBCCI Bozeman International Rally! ...
Shari
Oh, wow! I would have never dreamed that thatwould have happened right at the International! That really, really stinks!

Lynn
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Here's my vote for Rob of Robandzoe ,the best 5 flag holder made. Heavy duty Aluminum that will polish up nicely. Quality that surpasses the price. If anyhing they are under priced.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Oh, wow! I would have never dreamed that thatwould have happened right at the International! That really, really stinks!

Lynn
We were shocked too...the only dim moment of a terrific rally!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
So, what size flag do you fly - 3x5 or the smaller ones????

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
We fly 2x3's because our trailers are small ~

Shari

Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
OM, I can't believe some one would do such a thing...I'm sure it wasn't anybody associated with the International unless it was some teenagers out for a prank as you said. Wasn't the International held on the University campus or close to it? I bet one of the fraternities did it as an initiation stunt or something.

Good luck in getting them back.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
So, what size flag do you fly - 3x5 or the smaller ones????
How about others out there. What size do you fly. What would like nice on a 34'?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I use 3x5 flags. They look fine and I like the larger flags. Mounting them on the 12' poles works fine and they don't interfere with the view from the front window. Here is what they look like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4th Of July Morro Bay_20080702_2762.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	64307  
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just got our Pole Ease 'three holer' flag pole mount today. It was easy to mount, but I had to open up the holes slightly with a small drum sander to accommodate the expandable alum roller paint poles I picked up at Lowes (about $15 each).

The poles had blue plastic handles that were easy to remover...only PITA were those darn sticky labels wrapped around em'... I used a heat gun and some mineral spirits to get rid of the glue.

We've got a selection of 3x5 flags to mount up there. We'll be 'flying high' over at Half Moon Bay State Beach late next week...looking for some cool ocean breezes!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I am thinking about just ordering a 5 pole Pole Ease and starting with 3 flags. The extra two holes can be filled later. Have the U.S. flag in the center and maybe our state flag, but not sure what to use as the third. Maybe just start with the U.S. flag in the second hole and the state flag in the fourth. We are members of the WBCCI, but I am not sure if we are allowed to fly the WBCCI flag if neither is an officer.

Any suggestions. I could always include something along the Disney line for the third or even a fourth.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I am thinking about just ordering a 5 pole Pole Ease and starting with 3 flags. The extra two holes can be filled later. Have the U.S. flag in the center and maybe our state flag, but not sure what to use as the third. Maybe just start with the U.S. flag in the second hole and the state flag in the fourth. We are members of the WBCCI, but I am not sure if we are allowed to fly the WBCCI flag if neither is an officer.

Any suggestions. I could always include something along the Disney line for the third or even a fourth.
No worries, you can flag the WBCCI club flag, you do not need to be an officer.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Just just ordered a 5 pole holder from Rob with the intention of starting off with 3 flags like Minnie. US Flag, and a couple state flags that were home to us. I looked for WBCCI flags on the web and surprised (but not really) that WBCCI on-line store doesn't have them listed. Someone tell me the deal. Are there just WBCCI flags and also WBCCI unit flags? If so, where does one look to see what is available.

One other question regarding poles. The Pole Ease poles are $35 each and listed as heavy duty. Lowes painter poles at about $15 each. These most likely are lighter duty poles. Has anyone compared to two? Menards has the stainless steel C-clamps if anyone is looking for them. I measured the diameter of the electric jack this morning and it looks lilke a 2 1/4 clamp will work.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Just got our Pole Ease 'three holer' flag pole mount today. It was easy to mount, but I had to open up the holes slightly with a small drum sander to accommodate the expandable alum roller paint poles I picked up at Lowes (about $15 each).

The poles had blue plastic handles that were easy to remover...only PITA were those darn sticky labels wrapped around em'... I used a heat gun and some mineral spirits to get rid of the glue.

We've got a selection of 3x5 flags to mount up there. We'll be 'flying high' over at Half Moon Bay State Beach late next week...looking for some cool ocean breezes!
We just left the labels on ours.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote