Old 02-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Petoskey , Michigan
First trailer

I am new member to forum. Don't have an Airstream but seriously considering it. I'm in Northern Michigan and don't see many used ones around. I've looked on Internet and seems like farther south you go there are more. I found one in Flordia and wondered what's best way to check it out long distance?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
There are local inspectors who can do it for you. If you are really serious about a particular trailer I suggest you fly there and see it in person. The good ones do not last long on the market if priced correctly.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Have you studied the classified section here on the Forum? That will at least give you an idea of pricing for given unit sizes and age.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome to the clan, I found my 1st AS by looking at all the dealers I could find, on line. Found a couple at a place in Tucson, flew out (from ATL), made a deal, then drove out & got it. Hey, it's all an adventure ! My 2nd one popped up on the Forum classified on Thurs, 7 miles from my home, looked at it & bought it Friday. He said he had 5 people wanting to come Saturday. So, as others have said, good AS's, priced well go very quickly. I also found a lot of choices on RVTrader.com. . . and by all means, use a local Forums inspector/owner for initial look see............good luck to you, Craig
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Petoskey , Michigan
How do you find local/forum inspectors
Old 02-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
YES, Petoskey,
Long long ago, when the population of Good Hart was fifty and mostly Indian, I spent half my growing up life, pumping Shell gas, and stocking shelves for Grandma at the Good Hart Store. Today, it's a cute country boutique deli serving the millionaires who have subsequently discovered and purchased the town. I still drive through, along M119, remembering when it was a two track trail, where we'd pull off to let oncoming traffic pass. We'd get dressed up in all our finery to go to Petoskey, an all day event. Grandma took me to meet Princess Ella Petoskey, who lived alone in the woods nearby Good Hart.

I scoured the internet for years, searching for a particular Airstream. Finally one surfaced on eBay one morning, and I placed a crazy high bid on it without even seeing or inspecting it. It took three days to recover it from the hills of Tennessee. It wasn't all the seller said, but I expected that. Five years later, I've got a totally bad-ass '68GT.

I wouldn't get too caught up on a trailer's condition if it's rare, you have restoration skills, it's what you want, and can afford the buy-in. There's folks on this forum who would build a Whale-tail Bubble from scratch if they only had the clear title to start with.

So my answer to your question is “It depends”… There's bad, bad rust in Fla. Go vacationing, look at it yourself, will seller agree to pulling off the belly-pan??

What are you looking for??
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi. . . well Hmmmmm, it used to be on the portal page, right hand column half way down, but I don't see it today, I'll work on finding it............regards, Craig
Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

California , California
Local Inspectors can help you with this. Best if luck
Old 02-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Before having a trailer checked out find out where it has been (as opposed to where it is now). Salt can be a killer. Trailers from Florida and other areas near the ocean are subject to frame corrosion and rust from the salt. Trailers from humid environments are subject to rot and rust. Rust and rot are not immediately apparent. You need to know where to look. You can also check out maintenance records before taking the trip.