Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Gastonia , North Carolina
First question of many

Hello and thanks to everyone that has been helping me as I lurked over the past year. My wife and I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 1970 Sovereign. It's in rough shape but the price was too good to pass up. Most of the skin is good and it's only missing one curved window. It's been partially gutted and the floor is rotted all over so I'm expecting frame damage. I can do everything but weld so I'm curious how that'll work out.

We plan on using it as a pool/guest house with an occasional weekend away. I'm seriously considering going all 110v electric and using a generator when we do take it out (except for 12v running/brake lights). I'm used to tenting so I'm not too concerned about roughing it a little when we're away. We're in the early "use planning" stage so that's not too much of an issue yet. The frame is my big concern right now.

I do have a question though concerning the AC and roof vents. If I use a portable 110v AC I'll take the unit off the roof. While I'm at it I figured I'd remove all the vents and rivet some new panels across the whole roof. My reasoning would be to eliminate possible leaks and to have a very streamlined look. Has anyone done this? Are there any photos? Given my intended use am I missing anything that makes this a bad decision?

I look forward to your varied responses, even being scolded if I deserve it . You'll certainly be hearing more from me soon. Thanks!

drchris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
To each his own ... and perhaps you have thought this through sufficiently for your needs, but my gut reaction is that you will eventually regret going totally 110v AC, even if you plan to have a generator or have hookups all the time. There will undoubtedly be times when you will not have hookups and you will not be able to use a generator ... or the times of generator use will be restricted. Having both 100v AC and battery 12v DC affords you complete flexibility when complemented with propane for heating, hot water and cooking. A rig with no 12v will also probably be more difficult to sell should you decide to do that later.

As to the rooftop AC and vents. Portable ACs can be made to work but they can also add complications ... I also think getting rid of all the vents, while no doubt doable, is not a great idea...our experience has been that there are times when having the vents makes it possible to enjoying being in the Airstream even without AC ... air movement will be important to your comfort, and I can't imagine not having them.

Hope this helps you in making your decisions.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I also think you will regret it later if you leave out a 12v system. And, when you are ready to pass it on to the next owner it will be less desirable, so the sale price will be substantially lower. I think you will get your money back when you sell it 10 years from now, so think of it as an investment!

ditto: what TBRich says about the vents! If the trailer will be in the sun, you can get 20-30 degrees (or more) of heat gain in the summer.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My opinion is instead of modifying an Airstream in the manner that you described. Build or buy a a tiny house for your back yard. You then can outfit it as you desire. If building codes are an issue the tiny house can be built on a trailer frame and then it will not be classified as a fixed structure or property improvement.
On the other hand, it is your Airstream to do with as you please.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
An Airstream makes a cool quest house!

Regarding welding - when you get to that point; most areas have mobile welders will come to your location. try the yellow pages.

Welcome to the forum
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I think you would be better off deciding that if you want it as a pool house, make it a permanent pool house that doesnt move. All the mods you are planning for would be fine if it never moved, but if you take it on the road, then you have to make sure all the running gear (axles, frame, tires, electricals) are all there and in good order. And if it doesnt move, then the frame isnt that important, it can essentially be braced up from underneath with cinder blocks.

But if its going on the road, then I would keep it pretty much functioning as it is and you would have to fix the frame and everything else that made it so cheap in the first place. And it may end up being quite a bit more expensive after all the work is done which isnt that unusual with really cheap trailers.

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Gastonia , North Carolina
Yeah, you're probably all right...especially about the resale. As far as the welding goes I have someone that can do it, I just don't know what it needs yet. I've been watching it for over a year but the owner didn't want to sell. He bought it a few years ago with intentions to restore it. Don't think it's any worse than other 70's models that haven't been restored. We'll see.

drchris66 is offline   Reply With Quote