Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Park City , Utah
First Post Here -- The End of Triage

Hello all. I've been meaning to start posting here for a while, since I bought my 74 Overlander International - rear bath double about two months ago. And, procrastinator that I am, two months is not all that bad for me. One thing I have not procrastinated on, out of necessity, is doing the original set of what I would call "triage" repairs on my Airstream. I call them "triage" because, due to the fact I am living in the trailer as I write this -- in fact since I purchased it -- and doing so in a pretty extreme winter climate, these initial repairs were matters of necessity, not mere option, and more than once seemed akin to battlefield repairs.

I did manage to record most of what I have done in pictures, so in future posts, for the benefit of anyone facing similar challenges, I will try to describe in more detail the things I have done, or in some cases, endured. Almost none of which I could have done without the help of previous posters on this site, leading the way.

I read here one time that no matter what their initial impressions, anyone who buys a 20 - 40 year old Airstream is generally in for at least a year of general discovery and repairs before their trailer approaches something like full functionality. I wholeheartedly agree. In my case, though, out of necessity as I have said, I compressed that year into two months of full time work, sometimes literally night and day.

I did all my homework -- trying to figure out what things to check in a used trailer, pricing, various advantages and pitfalls. In the end, however, I bought the trailer that seemed to have my name on it, if you know what I mean. It was in the right place at the right time, seemed like the right trailer, right size and age, something like the right price. At some point, I figuratively put one hand over my eyes, and with the other handed over the few thousand dollars of consideration, and I was an Airstream owner.

As you have probably already gathered, I tend to go on a bit when writing -- I'm a lawyer by trade, so probably predictably -- so I'll try to cut this introductory post short, with just a few more comments. One more thing about me. As a white collar type, I am anything but a mechanical do-it-yourselfer. The last time I actually built something was probably in 5th grade shop class. So, why I would buy a vintage Airstream with the idea of fixing it up myself, parking it in a high altitude winter climate right at winter's onset (Park City, Utah – 7000 feet high, 300 inches of snow a year), and then resolve to live in it for the same winter, all of this is a bit beyond me. Without getting too mystical about the whole thing, I believe there is some kind of journey involved here that someone, something, who knows, conspired to set me out on. And so, here I am.

My Airstream, when purchased, I can now say with a certain amount of actual knowledge, was actually in pretty decent shape. Which is to say, it was not a fully functional, livable unit (which, by the way, is what I expected it to be in my relative ignorance), but neither was it in such a bad state that a return to livability could only be accomplished with full gutting and restoration. And, whether or not any Airstream is truly "winter-worthy", well you be the judge. Mine, I now believe, is pretty close.

Here is a partial laundry list of what I have done, learned, experienced, endured over the last two months -- all done solely by yours truly, all on a complete, and sometimes exasperating trial-and-error basis (since I confess I absolutely no, zero, nada experience at this sort of thing):
· rebuild original toilet.
· rebuild shower faucet
· rebuild kitchen faucet
· fix first set of plumbing leaks and problems
· fix second set of plumbing leaks and problems
· attempt to fix third, fourth, fifth and on and on.
· scrap all attempts -- replace all major plumbing systems.
· making the trailer winter-worthy, consisting of: attempting to insulate pipes, scrapping attempt to insulate pipes, designing and building auxiliary plumbing heating system (mostly geared to heating the rear compartment that houses what I call the "plumbing nerve center" of my Airstream), identifying the major heat-loss culprits in the trailer, figuring out ways to seal up these culprits, figuring out ways to seal up culprits that do not create new problems (there were more than one of these), skirting the trailer (which, as many owners say, I do recommend, but which I believe is far from the most important element in Airstream winter-worthiness.
Along the way, I realized I had entered into a sort of love-hate relationship with my Airstream. On days when it's cold outside, and all is clean, warm and cozy inside, like right now, of course it's love. But let me spot an infernal drip drip somewhere, let alone a full-on Old Faithful geyser of water shooting out of somewhere, and love can, and often has, turned quickly to -- you guessed it.

But love or hate, it has turned into something undeniably intimate. There are a number of things that drew me into buying an Airstream in the first place, things which I am sure I share with many people on this forum: a love of classic Americana, a love of classic things in general, a strong desire for independence, freedom, all those things that used to be a part of our national esprit. In fact, it's that sort of frontier spirit that strikes me as the strongest thing. Independence, freedom, and also a kind of intimate connection with the thing that gives you shelter. This last thing would seem strongest among those owners, like me, who without apparent rhyme or reason, would prefer to buy a vintage trailer over a new one even if cost were not a factor, and resolve, whether qualified or experienced or not, to do all the repairing and restoration themselves. Such an endeavor, at least in my case, seems to have created a very intimate connection between the trailer and me -- almost as if the trailer were a living and breathing companion. Neglect her, and she will surely neglect me at the next cold snap. Give her the right amount of love and attention, and yes, she returns it in kind. OK, I realize I'm getting "out there," but so be it.

I've put up a few introductory pics. I'm not sure how to link to them from here, but they are all under the heading of first images – 74overlander. I’ve attached them to this post as well, so I suppose I will see how it all comes out. Each one, for me, has a certain amount of significance.

§ Receipts – Whatever price I paid for my Airstream soon became pretty much irrelevant against the growing piles of receipts from Walmart (thank god for Walmart), Home Depot, State Trailer Supply, Lowes, and various plumbing supply houses.
§ Trailer in winter – pretty much the trailer as it sits right now, all cozy and warm for the winter
§ Three pictures of some of the trailer’s original equipment – the range, the kitchen sinks, the old Thetford galaxy. I put these up to make a point. Although many, including me, who buy an old Airstream, can’t wait to fix it up, to “modernize” it, there are elements to the original construction that are pretty amazing in their own right. The stainless steel of the original range and kitchen sinks, after a good amount of cleaning and scrubbing, is pretty near dazzling in my book. And even the old Thetford toilet – all I will say is this: bringing it back to full functionality was a pretty humbling experience. But, having done so, I wonder how many of the new models, Bravura, or whatever, will still be looking good and functioning in a decent manner in 2043. We’ll see.

So, that’s it. Sorry for droning on, but that’s my way. Soon enough, I will start putting up individual posts about repairs and modifications I have made to the trailer.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10Skirting-finished.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	74188   Click image for larger version

Name:	receipts.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	74189  

Name:	kitchensink.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	74190   Click image for larger version

Name:	thetford.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	74191  

Name:	range.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	74192  
riggsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jeff, welcome to the Forum. As a lawyer, thankfully retired, I didn't think you went on too long. After all, it's people like us who give the word "brief", new meaning.

Looks like you're doing a good job and there's nothing like diving in and learning the hard way. There's a book published (I think) by Woodall's that explains how everything works and is very useful in understanding the essence of trailers. Check Amazon, it's probably there, every other book is.

I think we stayed at that same campground last September for one night, even possibly in the same spot. At the time there was no snow. It looks better with snow. I believe you are at the only RV campground close to Park City, next to the interstate and with all the deluxe pads for motorhomes above and the spots for riffraff like us at the bottom.

So, Jeff, are you practicing law there, or are you there for Sundance and skiing?

Keep up your story. I think it will be interesting and informative.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Jeff, Welcome.

I redid an Overlander back in 2002 that I was living in full time. Every step had to be carefully planned to be started and finished in one weekend. I think mine was a little more livable right of the bat--good kitchen and bath.

First thing I did was cut the tub in half (made it into shower only) and moved the bedroom aft 12" to give me more room on the kitchen counter. Later I rotated the sink sideways. Together, those two moves actually created some real countertop space.

When I moved the beds aft, I also converted from a twin to a double.

Good luck, even big efforts can be tackled!

Zep
Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
If you aren't happy with doing the lawyer thing I think you have great potential as a writer.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting the pictures - they say a lot.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome. You are a brave soul for jumping right in and doing it just before the Park City winter. Glad you're here. Keep up with the restoration.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I saw the word "triage" in your post title and thought it was going to be from someone from the medical field! Good luck getting your new 'partner' whipped into shape!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1976 Argosy 26
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Really enjoyed your writing. I will also live in my projects when finished so it was good to get a first hand report.
Cathy Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Verbosity Welcome.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsco View Post
And, procrastinator that I am,
As you have probably already gathered, I tend to go on a bit when writing -- I'm a lawyer by trade, so probably predictably -- One more thing about me. As a white collar type, I am anything but a mechanical do-it-yourselfer. The last time I actually built something was probably in 5th grade shop class.

So, that’s it. Sorry for droning on, but that’s my way. Soon enough, I will start putting up individual posts about repairs and modifications I have made to the trailer.

Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome Aboard

(Gene, looks as though you've got some friendly competition)

Procrastination?....I don't think so!! You just got your priorities in order right from the beginning. Qudos on a terrific start to your aluminum adventure. Your writting is terrific, pictures outstanding and the work looks first rate. Looking forward to many more posts.

Bob.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
denman is , b.c.
Very nice job on the sink and range. How in the world did you get it looking that good (range)? What's your secret?
I have a '75 and would love to get mine looking like yours. Mine is pitting and there is rust under the folding top.
kooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Park City , Utah
Hi,

I can't say there was any big secret. This was one of the easiest things I have undertaken. Other than ordinary cleaning and scrubbing, I used some stuff called Stainless Steel Magic that I found browsing the aisles at Home Depot. In a silver spray can. Costs about $5 a can.

My range still has a few pits and all, but with every cleaning it looks better.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
jeff - lotsa guts, jumping right in there like that. congratulations to you!! sounds like you've got a good handle on getting it all done. and, BTW, i don't think you have any idea what real procrastination is. danalee is right - you're a good writer, keep it coming.

j. foxworthy describes a Texan as one for whom 60 degrees is 'chilly'. SO TRUE. Your snow is beautiful to look at, but I just couldn't do that. Obviously your furnace must be in fantastic working condition.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Park City , Utah
Hi to all,

Thanks for the support. I should have expected no less from fellow airstreamers on this site. A few more specific comments:

Thanks to anyone and everyone who complimented me on my writing. As a lawyer, most of my writing tends to cause the exact opposite response.

Gene, I still practice law. I have sort of commuted between Park City and Los Angeles for the last 5 years or so, after I moved my two kids here with their mom. Among other things, Park City is a wonderful place for kids to grow up. My Airstream replaces the condo I was renting here.

Zep, I can't believe how similar our ideas are, right down to cutting 12" off the bathroom. When I am done, this former double - rear bath will have a closed off, private bedroom up front and an open air kitchen - living room stretching 12" past the current bathroom wall. I'm going to check out your profile and, with your permission, steal a few ideas I'm sure.

Most likely, my next few posts will cover my odyssey through the Airstream's plumbing system. As I mentioned in my first post, this consisted of 4 or 5 weeks of trying to fix a broken system piecemeal -- one made up of rubber hose, plumber's epoxy and ancient copper pipe, swollen by repeated freezings to every inside and outside diameter other than anything standard -- followed by tearing out the whole system and replacing it all with new stuff. If I had to give this little story a title in hindsight, I would call it "When in Doubt, Rip it Out!" See attached photo.

Oh, to Gene, yes, I'm sure this is the same campground/RV Park. It's called Park City RV Resort, the only RV Park in Park City. It's a great place, I think. Longer term tenants, like me, are sited on the lower levels of the grounds, which I really enjoy. It's secluded, quiet, and on certain cold, crystal clear winter nights, I can see the moon rise and set through the ceiling porthole windows in my Airstream -- one of those little, but very special things about Airstream living, at least for me. And I have to give thanks to the owners -- Doug and Jane. They've put up with a lot of hammer-banging and late night power drill grinding from me, not to mention the one, or two, ok, the many, temper-tantrums from me trying to get a half inch pipe fitting onto a pipe swollen to one-half plus one millionth of an inch. All things considered, they definitely rate a plug here. If you're ever passing through Park City, stop in.....

More to come,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1Plumbing-MajorSurgery.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	74247   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParkCityRV_Resort.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	74248  

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Park City , Utah
About stainless steel

Kooshka,

Since I'm camera-mad about this project in general, I thought I'd make your life a bit easier in case you are motivated to go out looking for Stainless Steel Magic. See photo.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StainlessMagic.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	74249  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jeff, my wife reminds me (being younger than me, she actually still remembers things), there was an Airstream parked to the left of where you are now when we were there in September, but no one was around. From the content of your first post, it seems you've had yours for a shorter time.

Our impression of the RV campground was different than yours. We drove in and saw all these fancy pads, but when we got to the desk were were taken to the back of the building and shown where we would be in the lower area. The grounds were just dirt and uncut weeds, the sewer was a piece of broken off PVC (no threads), TV reception was impossible, and getting into a space was a challenge and the price was double what it was worth. That's why I said it looks better with snow. I'm glad you're having a better experience. We did meet a doctor camped there and he and I talked for a quite a while about the present state of medicine—how often do you ever see a doctor outside of the office?

We did enjoy walking through Park City and had a very good meal at Bistro something. Well, this was also a mixed experience. The food was very good, but a local woman in the next booth was very drunk, very loud, and very boring. If we come back to Park City, we'll probably go to one of the state parks to camp.

Keep us up to date.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
persistent plumbing problems

Jeff,

I remember the frustration of trying, with much cussing and gnashing of teeth, to get those brand new fittings on that swollen pipe. Seems like years ago, even though it was just in October. I ended up with a HUGE pile of copper that was eventually sent to the recycling yard by a fellow churchgoer.

One trick that I did learn was to use the clamp portion of a flare tool to bring the pipe back down to the proper size. Be careful not to squeeze too far, as the solder won't fill the gap if too large.

And just like you, I thought I had one hole in a pipe, only to discover another and then another, etc, etc, etc.

I would have to venture to say that you did the right thing by removing all the old copper. Keep up the good work.

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 overlander