Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
First post- '74 Overlander - need help with shell romoval

Ok this is my first post. I bought a 74 Overlander and have so far gutted the inside and removed some outer parts below the deck. My frame it totally gone and the floor has some rotten spots. I am going to need to pull the frame out and probably get a new one fabricated using the dimensions from the rusted out junk. My first question: What do I cut to separate the shell from the deck? I can see that I won't be able to just remove the bolts in the bottom track, the wood decking slides in a groove. Should I cut the deck around the perimeter with a sawzall?

I am building this out as an event rental so there won't be much going back inside.

Here are some pics:

[URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/user/wpvboat/media/P1010245.jpg.html][/U

tom p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Do a search for "gantries", and you will find several threads describing the easiest way to do the job. You will need to drill out the rivets that hold the channels that wrap around the floor to the shell (along the straight sides, not the curved ends). Also the "hold-down" plates at the front and rear.

Hey, how did you get that thing home?!? Where's the A-frame?!?!?

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
A guy with a flatbed loaded it with his front loader and then I unloaded it with the forks on my Kubota at my house. It was a little hairy unloading it. The A frame rusted clean off. I'm not kidding when I say the frame is rusted out totally. The trailer was bought new and sat at a campground next to a saltwater inlet for it's whole life. The tires are original.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
You could conceivably cut the subfloor short on the inside and that would let the shell loose from the frame, but it's nice to have the floor intact as much as possible to act as a template for the new floor. Not much is square and even, so save yourself some trouble and drill out the rivets on the c channel. Then you can go around and cut the bolts that hold the c channel down to the wood and save those pieces for reuse. And mark everything so you know how it goes back in.

Tom, just noticed you live in Portsmouth? PM me if you want. I've got a 73 Overlander that I'm currently working on.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Bob, based on the newspaper the last few weeks I have to say I'm sorry for both of us I sent you a pm. Tom
Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Think of how heavy it would have been for your Kubota if it actually had a frame!
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Here is my progress as of today and I cut up what was left of the trailer also. My plan was to take it to a welder so he could use it as something to go by for a new one but there wasn't even enough left for that! I kept the plywood deck boards for templates instead.

I'm going to start a thread on the 74 Overlander board with more pics as well.