Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Julien at Hawkshead was great at answering my many questions. Most of my problems could have been avoided if I had purchased the optional repeater. I found I need it on my SUV + 25' Safari even though the literature thinks is shouldn't be required. Since the repeater, the system has worked flawlessly.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
Julien at Hawkshead was great at answering my many questions. Most of my problems could have been avoided if I had purchased the optional repeater. I found I need it on my SUV + 25' Safari even though the literature thinks is shouldn't be required. Since the repeater, the system has worked flawlessly.
I believe that depends a lot on where your control unit is mounted. I have a longer trailer and longer tow vehicle than you, but have found no need for the repeater. I have the controller mounted on the bottom outside corner of the windshield on either the driver or passenger side depending on how many people are in the TV.

Ken

Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here's another Airstreamer who is a firm believer in TPMSs...we have PressurePros as well...have had them on the Bambi since Dec07... With only 1 axel, I want to know if there's a problem before ti gets to be a BIGGER problem. We have been saved once...a rubber valve stem failed...down to 14lbs within seconds... Thankfully we were at a stop light when it happened...pulled through the intersection into a paved parking lot and changed the tire. (I recommend metal valvue stems when using TMPSs that mount the sensor on the valve stems.)

That having been said, the PPs did not help when our single axle had a catastrophic blowout where we lost pressure instantly because of a tread separation ... and we were instantly riding on the rim. If we had multi-axle rig, however, we might not have known we had a blowout without the PPs, and we might have driven merrily along with a flapping tread causing even more damage.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I bought a "Trailer Aid Plus" and it sure made it easy and simple to change tires. The tire shops were impressed too.
That's a handy dandy piece of kit; very nice.

I'm always in awe of your coach's pristine bodywork, Bob, every time you post a pic. Would that ours was as nice!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Tandem is not going to prevent the damage caused by the flying and whipping fragments of a blown out tire.
Ken
--------------------------------------------------------
danlehosky
This is one reason we went tandom.

Dan
Interesting dialog Ken/Dan ... we don't usually expect a blow out with tubeless tires and went back to the single axle Bambi for the opposite reason as expressed by Dan. Experience with multi axle tire pressure loss and/or failures leads us to prefer the almost immediate feedback when a tire loses pressure on one side of a single axle trailer. Proper reaction to the pull usually insures that tire damage - if any - is minimal on a single. The dual axles don't often give warning of a tire pressure loss or failure and it does go to "shredding" mode ... at least on our 28' tandem axle sailboat trailer and SOB TT... We like our TPMS for peace of mind, however.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I see the "Trailer-Aid Plus" recommended. Will the "Trailer-Aid" without the "Plus" lift the tire enough to change?

doug k
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I see the "Trailer-Aid Plus" recommended. Will the "Trailer-Aid" without the "Plus" lift the tire enough to change?

doug k
Hi, I think it will, if on a somewhat level ground, but I didn't want to take any chances on my Alaska trip, so I bought the plus. Also I feel better about the rubber top, maybe less slippery, than the plain plastic. [maybe]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I'm a believer in using a TPMS. I had had a blowout on the inside rear tire of my LY motorhome on the way to the international at Bozeman. After buying 7 new tires, I went with the Pressure Pro TPMS. When I sold the motorhome and bought the trailer and truck I now have, I opted for the Tireminder TPMS. Their sensors are a bit smaller and the batteries are replaceable. As well, it monitors pressure and temperature. The controller is smaller too - about the size of a cell phone.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote