Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Firefly Issue

Our 2018 Classic is controlled by the Firefly software. In the past two years we have had to replace 3 converters, 2 inverters and both A/C units twice. We are informed that the software was the root cause and that it continues to have a “bug” in it and both the factory and the software company are working on a solution for us.
We are also told that our unit is unique in this experience. I am interested to know if your own experience has been without a similar issue in regards to the Firefly software.
The warranty runs out this month on our unit and the factory has been good for the multiple replacements, even extending the warranty for a year but not on “vendor supplied “ items like the a/c units. Thoughts please.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have an 18 classic. No issues like yours. We did have our firefly upgraded when we visited JC. I believe it’s version 3.8

Can you confirm that you have the latest version?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9074.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	352166

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Latest version

Thanks for your response. We have had the latest update installed at the time our first set of a/c’s went out. The software keeps the power going to the coils of the a/c whenever plugged in, even when not in use, thus burning them out.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Sorry to hear. Have you tried reaching out to JC specifically or are you just working with your local dealer?

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ummmm ..... errrr ......

The converter / charger does not connect to the Firefly in any of the trailers. There is pretty much nothing at all that the firmware in the Firefly can do to kill a converter charger.

The inverter is either on or off. In both the on and the off mode, it self protects. Again, regardless of what the firmware tells it to do, it's very hard to see how there could be a connection.

Indeed you *can* mess up an AC unit by doing odd things to the control signals so that part might actually make sense.

Unit specific software bugs are highly unlikely. Unit specific *hardware* issues are far more likely. Your problem sounds much more like a Firefly hardware issue that any sort of software bug. ( = replacing the hardware is the answer).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Update

Thanks Uncle Bob, always enjoy your responses on the forum. I’ll pass your thoughts on to the Factory and Bay Area Airstream this coming Wednesday when we shall get an update.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When I had a replacement / aftermarket converter die, it took the system up to around 21V. Yes that's an odd thing to have happen. Indeed it fried some of the LED lights. If something similar happened with one of your converter failures, it could easily have damaged the Firefly hardware ....

Bob
Old 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRINALDI View Post
Our 2018 Classic is controlled by the Firefly software. In the past two years we have had to replace 3 converters, 2 inverters and both A/C units twice. We are informed that the software was the root cause and that it continues to have a “bug” in it and both the factory and the software company are working on a solution for us.
We are also told that our unit is unique in this experience. I am interested to know if your own experience has been without a similar issue in regards to the Firefly software.
The warranty runs out this month on our unit and the factory has been good for the multiple replacements, even extending the warranty for a year but not on “vendor supplied “ items like the a/c units. Thoughts please.
Hi JFRINALDI,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more about your situation. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.*
Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I have tried multiple times to respond via the Forum. Apologies if there are repeated replies. My Vin# is 540556. Dave at extension 7358 is at the Factory and has been following up at your end with my request to be able to get a new unit because of this multiple problems
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

ummm ... errrr .....

The magic posts asking you to contact the factory are done by an outside contractor. The people doing it have no real idea if you already are in contact with the factory or not. Thus you may get these random requests that pretty much make no sense.

Posting VIN numbers / serial numbers in public is generally not a great idea. It isn't the end of the world, but there are ways people could use that info. They also could walk by your trailer parked in a campsite and get exactly the same info.

Bob
Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thanks Again Uncle Bob!

Thanks for the reprimand, in my haste to get the message to Airstream I failed to make it a private one. By the way, what kind of surge protector are you using? I found out today that the Surge guard model I have doesn’t protect from low voltage brown outs. There is a more expensive model ($345.00) that does and can even include a remote attachment for the inside of your RV that provides current reading.
Still awaiting a satisfactory solution to my other issues...
Old 09-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for the reprimand,
You can edit your post, should you feel the need.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
........ By the way, what kind of surge protector are you using? I found out today that the Surge guard model I have doesn’t protect from low voltage brown outs. There is a more expensive model ($345.00) that does and can even include a remote attachment for the inside of your RV that provides current reading.
Still awaiting a satisfactory solution to my other issues...
Hi

I started off with an external Progressive 50A EMS. After watching it sit in puddles and rust away, I decided that any benefit from it being at the post was outweighed by the "wet factor". It being a great big lump to muck with when setting up and tearing down also was not ideal.

I swapped it out for an internal and am quite happy with that. It also is a 50A unit from Progressive and has a little display dongle that goes with it. The dongle is taped on the wall above the sink. I can easily see all the status / alarm messages without any messing around.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

Bob