1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
lots of threads on this,

here is 1 with much good info.

cheers
2air'
Man, I google searched under "fire extinguisher" and looked through the first page of hits with nuthin' really relevant. Figures. Thanks 2air!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
.....and don't forget to maintain your extinguisher(s) too.

Care and Maintenance of your Fire Extinguisher

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have the factory supplied one by the door, one in the bedroom, one in the lower street side compartment, one in the TV. Received my advice/info from a local fire marshall/RVer. Better safe and sorry.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I have one by the door and the second in the rear in the bath closet

Al
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I meant 'better safe than sorry". Brain fart.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Since it's a Caravel, we like to say that by the time you notice, you're probably already on fire! Not a lot of room in there But we do have an ABC by the door. Unless the kitchen area burst into flames while you were in the toidy, you're probably already as close to the door as you're going to get. In an emergency we could head out the back window.

As for the TV, it's one of those highly flammable Fords, so maybe I should look into an onboard fire suppression system - but barring that, a fire extinguisher would probably be a really good idea.

Have there ever been studies about the most likely causes of RV fires?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
We have the two as stated earlier but I change them out every two seasons. I hate the thought of pulling the handle and the powder goes about 6" and hits the floor. Hard to explain that to an excited wife at times like that.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1994 34' Excella
newark , New York
We have a 2005 22' front bed .... One in the back kitchen area and one by the door will be the best..... By the way, looking at the 'FIRE' exit at the rear above the sink, one has to wonder.... How the heck could a normal sized human fit out that window, after being 'speared' by the sink faucet.... Would you go head first or feet first ??? Has anyone had the misfortune to have to abandon their AS after the fire extinguisher have run out ???
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateart View Post
We have a 2005 22' front bed .... One in the back kitchen area and one by the door will be the best..... By the way, looking at the 'FIRE' exit at the rear above the sink, one has to wonder.... How the heck could a normal sized human fit out that window, after being 'speared' by the sink faucet.... Would you go head first or feet first ??? Has anyone had the misfortune to have to abandon their AS after the fire extinguisher have run out ???
I practiced this a few times. Grab the top of the window frame, lever up and out the window, feet-first, and hit the ground running. Rear bath models are kind of a challenge because of the sink, but I think I'd still try for feet-first. Gravel, thorns, and pavement tend to skin up the hands.

Also we have 3 extinguishers, one in the TV, one mounted by the front door, and one in the bathroom (rear bath).
Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Grab the top of the window frame, lever up and out the window, feet-first, and hit the ground running.

You’re in a metal vessel, and you need to get though a relatively small hatch in a hurry. To any sailor that has served on board a ship or sub, this should come pretty naturally.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
One by the entry door and one in the rear bath wardrobe. That one most likely will be used to punch out the rear window as this '66 has no designated escape route. Lynn and I suffer from arthritis but we suspect our pain will miracolously disappear if we are trapped by a fire.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post

You’re in a metal vessel, and you need to get though a relatively small hatch in a hurry. To any sailor that has served on board a ship or sub, this should come pretty naturally.
That's pretty much the way I learned it...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I am proud to say, we have none in ours... but...

That is only because it is gutted at the moment. Thanks for the topic though. While rebuilding the cabinets is a good time to think about where these should go and not be "in your face" wall mounted but also not hidden away..
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
An older thread but I am upgrading my factory fire extinguisher and wanted to share a few ideas and get feedback.

The stock fire extinguisher is a small low-cost unit that provides regulatory compliance and maybe the ability to extinguish a grease fire. In shopping for a fire extinguisher it is important to find one that has a "vehicle bracket" since the ones intended for stationary use just have hangers and won't remain in place during travel.

I found a reasonably priced 5 pound dry chemical extinguisher here: Class ABC Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher, Vehicle-Mounted, 5 lbs., 175969 - Lab Safety Supply It fits, barely, where the factory one was.

As alluded to but not quite spelled out upthread, fire extinguishers are not really life-safety equipment. From a life safety standpoint you just want to get out of the burning trailer. There are situations however where a small fire can be safely extinguished before it becomes large, preventing thousands of dollars of damage.

I would imagine that the most likely use cases would involve cooking fires, appliance fires, and fires involving items in use outside the trailer such as generators, camp stoves, and gas grills.