Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
My stainless steel replacement water heater and furnace covers came to about $40 apiece installed.

The stainless steel stove vent that I installed tonight was $97. It replaces the very ugly gray plastic vent.

The combination of all three really makes the trailer look great. Why doesn't Airstream at least offer them as an option to the cheap painted and/or plastic items.

Would you be so kind as to state where you got the stainless covers, and if they were a direct fit without modification.

Thanks........

WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
This is one of the best things I have done to my Argosy. The bathroom mirror was not in good shape around the edges and I wondered for a long time what I could do besides take it out. I decided to frame it. I think it looks great now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	29968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	29969  

Name:	IMG_0002_2.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	29970  

Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by romap
Would you be so kind as to state where you got the stainless covers, and if they were a direct fit without modification.

Thanks........
I bought them from the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX, ROGER WILLIAMS AUTO MALL. They fit perfectly witout modification except for slightly peening over the protruding aluminum box around the water heater.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #60
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
The original Amana Radarrange smoked today!Stinkey electrical smell!quickly switched off circuit. Replaced with a Sharp carousel same width and depth but 12" high instead of old 15". The old Amana weight was 68 lbs.!!! The new unit 35 lbs. So I lost 33 lbs and gained enough room to add a drawer. And popcorn cooks in half the time!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Not Mods exactly.... but still under a "c"note!

2 Thoughts -

#1 - Buy a heavy duty flasher from your local auto parts place. If for some unfortunate reason you have to leave your AS on the shoulder, insert it into the #1/#7 slots (the offset 2 tab flasher will fit perfect) it will activate the running/brake lights in the emergancy flashing pattern - GREAT visibility, for about $6 bucks.

#2 - Those black plastic doohicky's that you can run a tire up on (tandem axle or better, only) and change the other tire. About $60.

Merry Christmas! and Happy Holidays!

Axel
Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #62
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
This is one of the best things I have done to my Argosy. The bathroom mirror was not in good shape around the edges and I wondered for a long time what I could do besides take it out. I decided to frame it. I think it looks great now.
Juel, great idea, that looks great too!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
Punxsutawney , Pennsylvania
For my '71 Globe Trotter:

Most used mod is a light switch just inside the door. It's hooked to the light over the galley sink, so switch is installed in the refrigerator vent just inside the door .....it can be found easily in the dark.

I think the second most used cheap mod is the remote outdoor thrmometer.

Number 3 is the replacement galley faucet. It has a single handle for both hot and cold so it's much easier to use.

This thread is giving me more ideas!

thanks!
Marc
Punxsutawny, PA
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I bought them from the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX, ROGER WILLIAMS AUTO MALL. They fit perfectly witout modification except for slightly peening over the protruding aluminum box around the water heater.
Thanks John.....
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #65

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Our natural inclination is to be down with Uwe's festive cork plan (plan #1).

Our best, cheap mod so far was the anti-skid mat with OHSA yellow alert stripe. Trim it up, peel and stick on the slippery-when-wet Globetrotter step.

Makes plan #1 safer too.

Craig
Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I found a pair of worthington indus. aluminum 30# for 20 bucks.Although they need a recert upgrade I still think i'll come in under $100 I hope.Good day to all.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Virtually free, repair....

Hello all -

Free, or nearly so, is great right!?

Situation: Overhead compartment doors on the Classic were coming apart right at the junction of the wood were the horizontal & vertical stringer meet - in fact the screws of the hinges were the point where the seperation was the greatest. What to do?

Ask Pahaska. That's what I did, and this repair is all his idea. I take NO credit other than typing it out.

Pull the doors, the hardware, and mount on the tool bench as if they were hanging in the trailer - I used several clamps and an old milk crate to hold it upright.

Find a hardwood dowel - we all have some, somewhere! Caliper/measure the OD of the dowel, find appropriate drill.

Drill a hole through the top of the stringer (think top of the door, where you can't see it when standing in the trailer) and, through the horizontal stringer and into the vertical stringer at least 3/4 inch.

Wood glue, insert the dowel, soundly rap the dowel ALL the way into the hole. Flush cut off saw and things are nearly done.

Remount all hardware & assemble.

Start to finish was about 10 minutes per door. Stellar repair. Invisible to all but the most intensive looker. Nearly free....

Does it get any better?

Thanks again John!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #68

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A Real Lavatory Faucet

Our beloved Lucy came from the factory with a lavatory faucet that looked very nice, but was pretty useless in real life. It was a dual water contol unit with a short spout. It was hard to use and usually put more water on the counter than into the sink. I went to Home Depot and purchased a single-handle Delta lavatory faucet with a long reach spout for $79.00. We installed it ourselves. What an improvement! It makes the bathroom sink a pleasure to use. Here's a photo of the new faucet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0852.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	32293  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
my favorite

I read a post here somewhere, an Airstreamer took some rubber gasket and screwed a wall-mounted bottle opener to the outside of the trailer to cover up a hole where something else was attached before and had been removed. I thought that was so cool and I plan to do it myself. I can't take credit for the idea however!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bottleopener.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	32309  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Our 51 has a very small door. Think hobbit for size. Most people forget to duck on the way out and incur an immediate headache. My wife wanted something there to remind them of the fact that it is low but also didn't want some ugly sign and we also all know that people don't really notice signs anymore. She picked up a small ceramic duck and glued it to the wall just above the door on the inside. As people go to exit they see it and stop to think about it for a moment, you can see them thinking and realizing what it's telling them, and they no longer leave hair or skin stuck to the top of our door jamb. And it's gets a few giggles as well. Total cost = $0.99 and the air is no longer blue outside our trailer when people leave.

Next up would be the baskets we use on our shelves for clothing and storage. We found them an JYSK for $5 each so bought one for each of our storage cupboards for a total cost of $40.

Then there's the vintage looking am/fm radio that suits the vintage look perfectly but provides quality music we got at the flea market store for $20.

Life is fun
Barry