Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #295
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Transfer Pump for Portable Water Containers

Here's a mod for easy water refill from portable containers. I bought a 200 gpm Marine Utility Pump from Harbor Freight, mounted it in the exterior refrigerator access compartment, and wired it with a toggle switch to 12v. Now I just drop the suction hose into a portable water container, flip the switch, and discharge into the water fill inlet. An inline water filter can be added to the hose. Coiled hoses remain attached and store nicely in compartment. About $40.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #296
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I LIKE that transfer pump idea. I'll proably like it more the next time I'm propping a muddy water tank on a wobbly knee just counting the seconds till all that water drains out...

My new, favorite mod was removing the 12V edison and 120V edison sockets from the main overhead lamp and replacing them with 2 12V LED MR16 bulbs from Home Depot at $20 each. I kept the 2 pole switch by the door (one was for the 12V bulb, the other for the 120V) so I can turn one, or both on.
they are advertised at 6 Watts each and equivant to a 20 Watt Halogen bulb. (side by side these LEDs appear to be brighter than the Halogens) Together they pull about 1 Amp, which is less than a quarter of the old 50W 12V Edison bulb and still leave the same light pattern on the lamp shade. For extra credit, I'm trying to keep everything looking close to origional.
They will leave a shadow on the floor in bright daylight, so I expect we will only running 1 when boondocking and turning on the second only when pulling slivers etc.
They do run hot. Not nearly as hot as a halogen, but hotter than I expected for an LED, so I'm still testing to see if I need to punch some vent holes in the light itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (800x600) (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	136972   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (800x600).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	136973  

Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sink strainers.

Hi, I was looking for sink strainers that wouldn't scratch my sinks. I found a plastic strainer with a soft vinyl trim on it for my house. I liked the one that I have in my house so I bought two more for my trailer. The old metal strainer is going into the trash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6142RS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	154907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6143RS.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	154908  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #298
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I was looking for sink strainers that wouldn't scratch my sinks. I found a plastic strainer with a soft vinyl trim on it for my house. I liked the one that I have in my house so I bought two more for my trailer. The old metal strainer is going into the trash.
Robert.....where?

Bob

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #299
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Here's a mod for easy water refill from portable containers. I bought a 200 gpm Marine Utility Pump from Harbor Freight, mounted it in the exterior refrigerator access compartment, and wired it with a toggle switch to 12v. Now I just drop the suction hose into a portable water container, flip the switch, and discharge into the water fill inlet. An inline water filter can be added to the hose. Coiled hoses remain attached and store nicely in compartment. About $40.

Now that is a great mod! If you don't mind - think I'll incorporate!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #300
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
I'm not a plumber, not even a D.I.Y. plumber, but could I put a "Y" connection on the "in" side of my existing pump to connect the "straw" end and then a "Y" on the "out" end of the pump (the "hose" side) - (w/a shut off valve) and then run that into the tank so I could dip the "straw" into a water jug and open the valve on the "hose" side and fill the tank? (sorry, that was a long sentence . . . i'm not a linguist either)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I'm not a plumber, not even a D.I.Y. plumber, but could I put a "Y" connection on the "in" side of my existing pump to connect the "straw" end and then a "Y" on the "out" end of the pump (the "hose" side) - (w/a shut off valve) and then run that into the tank so I could dip the "straw" into a water jug and open the valve on the "hose" side and fill the tank? (sorry, that was a long sentence . . . i'm not a linguist either)
In theory, yes. In practice, I think it would be a lot easier to use a second pump. I use an old FloJet (the one that was OEM in my AS) that had its brains quit. It still pumps, just has to be a manual on and off. I use it with a 40 gallon bladder and pump from the back of the truck into the AS tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:

Very nice.
Could you post a close up of the system? I could not enlarge your photo and bifocals don't help.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #303
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
JamuJoe, that's a brilliant solution.... My wife and I have been carrying up to six of those 7-gallon jerry cans full of water in our boon docking adventures!

In the past, my wife holds the 56 lb. water can up high enough that I can hold the funnel. This allows her to slowly pour the water into the funnel, refilling our tank. My arms get tired holding that silly funnel for so long. With a setup like yours, I can just have her do it without me!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #304
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
We like to rehydrate with plain, unsweetened seltzer water. However, we find it difficult to find in many places. Plus, paying a dollar for one liter seems expensive. So, we built in our own seltzer water maker.
Here is a link to our blog that details how we make inexpensive seltzer water;
Tin Wheeler Adventures: Home made fizzy water, made easy
Happy Streamin

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #305
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Once I bought a pump, I decided I didn't need to haul the small containers any more ... so I bought a new 55 gallon water drum for about $50 and put it in the back of the pickup. I can easily fill it w/ a hose, and the water pump lets me fill the trailer easily.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #306
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
That's a great idea! Stealing this! *Newbie*
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #307
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Great photo's thank you! I'm at the entrance to the learning curve on Airstreaming. So the photo's really make all the difference. At my current level of expertise, all those posts with details of upgrades you're psyched about, they... might as well be in French! OUI. Keep the pictures coming! Thanks and nice stuff from everyone!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, today I replaced my half melted porch light lense, and bulb. I bought a new LED porch light. It stays cool, is very bright, and fits perfectly. Comes with a new gasket and new screws too. In the pictures with the lights on, my camera adjusted for the light and it looks dark, but you can see the color difference. [about $28.00 with shipping]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7866RS.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	163995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7869RS.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	163996  

Name:	IMG_7867RS.jpg