Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
We have made a few modifications to our Bambi. One was were to put wet tarp and rugs. A piece of pvc pipe worked great attached by spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	82027  

Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

Upton , Massachusetts
Next we needed more room for coffee maker ect. We made this and the legs fold up and can be detached and put beside the sink and seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0463.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	82028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0464.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	82029  

Name:	DSCN0466.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	82030  

Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

Upton , Massachusetts
The last one I found when I was modifying a shelf for my wife's keyboard that she takes sometimes when we travel. I split the nook so we can use the plastic bins underneath for storage. But when I was working on that I noticed a space that could be used for things you don't use often or just want out of the way. To hold it up I bought a table brace good for 200lb. It works great. I love taking a great product and making it better. And I think all modifications done were under $100.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0469.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	82032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0467.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	82033  

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #144
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Pictures of cedar on shelves

Hi Robert,
Here are 2 pictures of the shelves. The cedar is the aromatic kind for closets and trunks. It is attached to the trim, which is schluter strip for floor tiles. It floats on the existing shelf.

My parents have a 13 foot fiberglass trailer (Trillium) and my dad outfitted the whole closet in cedar. The whole trailer smells so sweet.

I've seen your work on your credenza, so I know you are up for the task of lining the whole closet in cedar! Have fun!

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closet1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	82085   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	82086  

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
This is fantastic! I always knew there must be empty space under the bed. Could you post more details on how to do this and anything we should be careful of?
Thanks,
Lisa

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Tambour inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
My latest mod. Took off those tambour doors "finally" and made these so I could have more storage room. Never was able to open the tambour completely. Note that the old tambour is now the insert on the new doors.
What a clever idea! I love the look of tambours, but have never had the experience of operating them. This is a terrific solution.
Lisa

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Step Rug

We just purchased on of these during our last trip....
Amazon.com: Camco 42925 RV Gray Wrap Around Step Rug: Automotive
really nice stepping into the rv via a "plush" carpeted step vs. the cold steel. Especially when i make people take their shoes off outside!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #148
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Magnetic Paper Towel Holder-$20 (expensive but worth it)
I have an early CCD with the basic steel range hood. I didn't want to cramp my under cabinet work space with a roll of towels hanging underneath.
Headboard-Ikea fabric-2yds @ 7.99, foam-old camp mat-Free!
I didn't like the idea of leaning against the window screen while reading and viewing the TV. I cut an old foam mat to fit the space and covered it with fabric. Great form and function.
Bed Spread mod-Free!
We purchased our unit used and one of the first things I did was throw the spread in the washer. Now I realize it is labeled "Dry Clean Only". No problem, I have washed it several times now and it is fine. I am anti-Dry Clean anyway. Chemicals!
The big problem, as many of you know is that goofy flap at the top. It made the spread hard to sleep under as it would migrate off the bed. Plus, I never knew what to do with it when I made the bed.
Well, I noticed that the flap was a separate sewn on piece so I removed it and folded over a hem to match the sides. Looks like it was made that way and now it functions on par with any comforter.
Pillow to match the spread-Free!
I took the removed flap, serged the raw side, folded it in-half over a pillow form from an old throw pillow, sewed around the form and voila...matching pillow for the spread. You can see it on the bed in the photo.
Trash Can-$40
I wanted to put my can in the nook under the sofa arm by the door. I wanted it to be covered as it would be exposed at all times. I wanted to be able to easily open the lid while it was in the nook.
That said, I needed a narrow, rectangular can, with a lid, hinged on the narrow side and with a foot lever. I scoured the internet and came up empty handed.
Then I went to Bed Bath and beyond and found the perfect can there.
I had my husband add a cabinet pull to facilitate removal from the nook.
I use a thin headband to keep the bags firmly in place. (Same w/ bath can) A bonus is that the can perches neatly under the overhang of the dinette bench and stays relatively out of the way when I have it out for heavy use.
Hooks, hooks and more hooks. $30 and rising
two doubles in the bath. One in the hall across from the shower. In all of the wardrobes. I plan to add a couple in the bedroom next.
Slinky storage-I think around $40 (my husband had full control of this project)
Our vintage CCD did not have the underbody tube so my husband added one. He uses a short bungie to keep it in. He likes it open so that it can breathe. He drilled holes in the bottom and did not completely close off the far end. It stays reatively fresh.
Comfortable Throw Pillows-$40
Those funky CCD pillows may look good but they don't feel good. They are all in my attic storage.
I purchased four pillow forms and covers from Ikea. Ikea is a great source for CCD decos.
The DVD Solution-$120 ( I know this is over the limit but it is such an ingenious solution that I had to list it)
Our only TV is a small flat screen that came w/ our used unit. We hung it in our bedroom on top of that silly flip-down shelf. That left us with a problem-where do we put a DVD player? We didn't want to hook one up with wires to trip over each time we wanted to watch a movie. We needed one that could play vertically.
They make some automotive models that would do the trick but they are expensive, clunky and special order.
Our solution---Play Station 2---They are made to play horizontal or vericle! We velcroed it to the wall above the TV. We also purchased the optional remote because using the ps2 controller is too confusing for us mid-century folk. We use it to watch movies and the boys play an occassioal game.
Storage Ottoman-$20 Lime green super suede from Target
This allows more peple to lounge on the sofa and doubles as a side table and extra dinette seating. I start a trip with it empty and it fills with souvenires and purchases. It travels under the nook.
Cabinet towel bars-$8 (Ikea again)
We have those near useless early-CCD recessed cabinet pulls. We added long cabinet pulls to the kitchen and bath under-sink-doors for towel bars.
They are just add-ons now but eventially we plan to have all the cabinet doors reskinned and add these funtional pulls all around.
Stove Cover-$50(times 2 b/c we learned a lesson the hard way)
Our used unit was missing the metal hinged stove cover. Not an issue b/c I would have removed the darn thing anyway. We purchased the white plastic cutting board stove cover. It lightens up the galley. They work great, I had one on our class-C and loved it. They never budge. Well, the C did not have an oven like the CCD. We melted our first cover baking cookies! On our first trip no less! My husband salvaged the first cover and made a sink cover with it. (The sink cover was missing when we purchased the CCD too. I wasn't happy about that) We purchased a second stove cover. I guess you could say $50 stove cover and $50 sink cover. Still qualifies as an under $100 mods.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0683.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	84623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0682.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	84624  

Name:	DSCN0681.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	84625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0680.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	84626  

Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #149
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
More Photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0676.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	84627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0677.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	84628  

Name:	DSCN0678.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	84629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0679.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	84630  

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
screen guard

I was in a hurry to get a screen guard for my door prior to a trip - so I didn't have time to order one on-line. I went to (3) local hardware stores and bought (3) different styles of residential screen door guards. They all seemed like they might fit with minimal modifications. NOT. I returned all and purchased a 12"x24" piece of expanded metal/mesh and some aluminum trim and made my own. Took me about an hour and cost somewhere around $20.

Here's a pic (one of my favorites - notice the horse out the vista view - great sight).

Laura
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00596.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	84633  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #151
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Being frustrated with the drawer between the twin beds falling out I found the same latches used on the kitchen cabinet doors and put on on the drawer. Now it stays in place and only cost $8.14 plus $15.50 shipping and handling from D.B Roberts Company. This was well worth it, since we now do not need to put the drawer on the floor before we take off.

Dennis
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #152
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I'd have to say the $22 pewter key ring for the '64 Tradewind.... because I can't think of anything on this restoration that's cost less than $100! ha!

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #153
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Painted the yellowing speaker grills with a bright white that matches the cabinets. $6.99 for a can of white appliance (epoxy) spray paint. Here's two before, one after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speaker grills.png
Views:	172
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	86822  
Old 12-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Went to Ikea a while ago & made some mods for cheap. Put lights in the bedroom for individual reading. I ran the wires under the lower curtain rail & put the switch right where it can be reached while lying down. I put the electric mattress pad right next to it so there isn't any fumbling in the middle of the night for it when I've succeeded in cooking myself alive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IKEA lights 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	92071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IKEA lights 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	92072  

Name:	IKEA  lights 3.jpg