Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Fastenal

What a great day today. While waiting to get my A.R.E. topper installed, I walked over to Fastenal and just browsed. To my great surprise I found at least three items that I've been looking for locally for many months--

Vulkem, the aluminum color, and only about $4.60 a tube
Individual allen wrenches
Individual small drill bits

Yes! I had no idea they had oneseys of these kinds of things.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Zep, I thought you knew about Fastenal. They also carry the same screws in SS that hold my window clamps to the hinges as well as SS screws for the window sill crank mechanisms that close the glass to the frames. Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Zep, I thought you knew about Fastenal. They also carry the same screws in SS that hold my window clamps to the hinges as well as SS screws for the window sill crank mechanisms that close the glass to the frames. Ed
I do know about them. You walk in and get the bolt or screw you need and then walk out. There is much more...

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Fastenal has the best prices around for rivets in our town. I also ordered the elevator bolts and those crazy self-taping floor screws from them. Great folks to deal with. I tried to talk them into carrying Vulkem, but no dice. I guess it's a sales volume thing.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Fastenal

Not the ones in Norfolk. Its a box of this, a hundred of those etc.
Beginner
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I just got back from a local Fastenal store. They carry both the grey and aluminum colored TremPro (vulkum). Since I started with Gray, I thought I'd stick with it (pun intended ). Looks like a great place to get all sorts of things, and up until about 5 hours ago, I never knew they even existed. Prices are great too! About $1.50 less per tube than online, and I don;t have to pay shipping. Got a free catalog to boot!

Chris
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
when I went to my local store and asked for Vulkum - they looked at me like I had three, no six, heads. I just got my supply from Vintage Trailers today and was, at first, worried when I read TremPro. Now I see... but I don't see any color. And I don't recall being able to pick color when I ordered using their website. Crossing my fingers it's aluminum/silver/grey colored.
Laura
Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, I'd never heard of them at all, until I began my Airstream renovation a year ago. Frank (62overlander) told me about them, and I've been getting my vulkem, rivets, and "numbered" drill bits there ever since.

For the 1/8" drill bits, I still buy them by the 10-pack at Harbor Freight. I break way too many of them to buy them onesey-twosey!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
My Fastenal guy was telling me that if the bag of washers is 100 pieces and you want 30 you can buy thirty but as they "throw the opened bags out as unusable trash" you are still paying for the 100. Sounded dumb but who knows?

Setting up an account cut the cost of some items down to 25%, worthwhile on a bigger project. The website is also pretty comprehensive.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Yup!

Setting up an account with them is the way to go! They are great to work with on projects such as we tend to do in our trailer manic insanity! Very helpful and product knowledgable. They even check other store locations and sources if the don't carry it locally. Can't say enough good things about them as a source. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Smile Fastenall

All,
My experience with them recently has been good. I have an account. The closest store is 17 miles from me and does not carry much of what I use; however they can get items quickly from other stores in the Portland area.

Web site orders work better for me in my location. Since the home construction fell off they offer more commercial and industrial fasteners here in Oregon. I can and have ordered a lot of hard to find items, mostly for my race cars and car restorations.
I give them a .
wlj1943
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I went to Fastenal today to get elevator bolts for my floor. Low and behold they didn't stock them. They wanted me to order 850 for them to bring them into the store. Hello Vintage Trailer Supply.

Steve
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Check the numbers on the trempro caulk - The Fastenal stores here stock good Trempro polyurethane caulk but NOT the same mix as used for pure metal-to-metal bonding, the line they carry has a lot more silica filler mixed in to better seal metal to masonry (windows & doors in commercial structures).

They said they'd try and order the OEM Vulkem/Trempro (I forget the line nnumber) and I went straight online without blinking. I have left-over everything from being forced to purchase full cartons - but there were partial cartons on the shelves; I think a way around that is RETURN the unused products!!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Trempro

I just bought 2 new tubes yesterday at my local Fastenal store and just checked the label markings from the factory. There is no mention of masonary use vs. metal to metal. I will check MSDS online after this post. The designated product information on the caulk tube says TremPro Polyurethane Sealant manufactured by Tremco and is listed as a TremPro Industrial Products line. Id printed on the tube says: 626 Aluminum-5340652-5358179-J120-MAME-C. Is this the right sealant or do I need to scrape it off the window seams. Today I called my local Airstream dealers parts dept. and was told they don't carry Acryl-R or Vulkem 626. They only use Dicor Self Leveling Seal and Sikaflex 221 on Airstream trailers. They don't carry Vulkem/TremPro at all. So what are the real sealants that the factory uses. I was led to believe that Vulkem and Acryl-R were the two currently used on the assembly line. The Dicor Self-Leveling Seal is used primarily to seal into areas on roofs where the sealant wicks into the small cracks and is built up to seal around fan vent covers and skylights. It is an off white color according to the parts man I spoke with at US AdventureRV. I doubt that the factory at JC uses any white sealants on new aluminum trailers. I was told that Airstream once tried white KoolSeal on roofs of trailers only to find that it peeled off the clearcoat over time so they went away from using it. What is the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say. Inquiring Minds Want To Know. What are the correct sealants to use! Thanks All. Happy Trails, Ed