Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Ed, I wish it was so, but airstream does use white sikaflex on their new trailers at the factory. Look up top of any new airstream to see.Steve

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I researched this out three years ago - and you got 30 minutes of googling and writing this 'cause I forgot the details

Quote:
do I need to scrape it off the window seams
Quote:
Id printed on the tube says: 626 Aluminum-5...
No sir, you don't need to change out the 'bead' seals, its just more more likely to loose its grip on smooth surfaces after a dozenteen years. Its own exposed surface will not look like a metal smooth surface, especially after aging a couple of years. The added silica helps it key into porous surfaces and take compression loading say from sun-heated skyscraper facia and trim.

The 636 is smooth; the 626 is textured with silica sand so it will not allow clamped metal overlaps (window frame installations not refreshing outer seam seals) to compress together to near 'metal-to-metal' dimensions.

Trempro 636 is the product with the smoothest consistency - that is the stuff that is still 'wet' inside the lap joints 35+ years after assembly on my trailer. The 636 has more 'rubber' and less solvent so less shrinkage (VOC (g/L) TremPro 626: 85 TremPro 636: 61)

[A/S] Final word on Vulkem choices <-- thumbnail explanation of Airstream caulk history

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
WABBITEER, how about 635? I like it because the surface is tack-free sooner.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Wabbiteer, Thanks for the post that explains the different sealants made by TremPro. Also for the link to the Steve H. of VTS posting about the 116 Vulkem and other numbered products that Airstream used in the past. So the Aluminum colored 626 is a little textured but still can be used to seal up my roof seems for now until I decide to remove the old clearcoat and polish the trailer. Then I will use Sikaflex 221 or Vulkem 636 to more closely match the color of polished sheets on the trailer. Soldiermedic (Steve), that is what I thought on the seals around the vents and the astrodome. I just didn't realize it was off white colored. So when the Airstream dealer said they always use Dicor I was confused as my old caulk is gray colored Vulkem. I still want to know the correct applications where you would use Acryl-R. I understand that it wicks into small cracks and seems. I will caulk the sheet edges around the rest of my windows with the 626 for now. Thanks for the help on these questions. I love this place! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
WABBITEER, how about 635? I like it because the surface is tack-free sooner.. .
http://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/pds/TP635.pdf

Neat stuff - but only available in White and Gray; I'm afraid the solvent free formulation is better suited to new trailer construction where there has never been bacon fried or trailer downwind of oil-heated homes so solvent soak & wipe down before application would ensure better adhesion...

Apologies to the Fastenal thread for the caulk talk.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
http://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/pds/TP635.pdf

Neat stuff - but only available in White and Gray; I'm afraid the solvent free formulation is better suited to new trailer construction where there has never been bacon fried or trailer downwind of oil-heated homes so solvent soak & wipe down before application would ensure better adhesion...
Thanks much. I had no idea about the solvent-free issue. Guess I'll go with 636 from now on. But the gray 635 looks OK on the shell if you make small beads of sealant. Can't wait to try the aluminum color 636.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote